The Combat Jack Show Thread

Joe's comment about Love Below didn't make sense, because most people I knew preferred Speakerboxxx

Dre to me was the precursor to Wayne as far as flow and pockets he got in, but with substance.

and I always thought Jay on I Do was giving Andre his flowers, because he just wasn't going to do that with just anyone.

Budden just covering for his “AT-liens comment. And trying to over-correct the narrative that he doesn’t know southern music. Which is true.

3stacks and Wayne are contemporaries. They’ve been rapping alike since the mid 90s tbh.

Huh?? Joe has said on many occasions that he's east coast bias & that he's not extremely well versed on southern hiphop, with that said if it's three southern rappers he consistently sings the praises of it's Scarface (with his rap style this is a given), 3K & Ross.

To tell you the truth i've personally never been that high on Outkast, Recognized the skill & their impact but the music never really stuck with me as it did with others.

but if i take my own personal feelings out of it i know where Andre stands in the overall scheme of things. So even if i'm going by the popular opinion 3K still isn't top 5. There is a HUGE difference between solos & group joints.
I don't agree or disagree. I get not liking OutKast though. They are really weird, and got bigger than they were supposed to. And I don't say the later to snipe the talent, but their stuff is really out there in many spaces of music (especially hip hop) even by in today's standard. 3k isn't in my top 5, but I get why he may be in others.
I got Doggystyle the day it came out :stoneface:
Then he kicked over the towers & u stopped liking him.

Budden just covering for his “AT-liens comment. And trying to over-correct the narrative that he doesn’t know southern music. Which is true.

3stacks and Wayne are contemporaries. They’ve been rapping alike since the mid 90s tbh.

What?

Outkast came out in 94

That's like saying Tribe and Outkast are contemporaries

****** love eccentric, mysterious rappers who can spit. 3K is nice but doesn’t belong in any top 5.

To tell you the truth i've personally never been that high on Outkast, Recognized the skill & their impact but the music never really stuck with me as it did with others.

but if i take my own personal feelings out of it i know where Andre stands in the overall scheme of things. So even if i'm going by the popular opinion 3K still isn't top 5. There is a HUGE difference between solos & group joints.

I've noticed theres this crowd that wasn't into Outkast and they really got hip to Andre around 06-07 when he started doing all those features so their argument is "well you can't be top based on a group and features".

Outkast is a duo, not a 3 or 4 man group. Andre was doing many hooks and verses for 4 great/classic albums worth of music. Big Boi was also. Andre got more than enough music to be top 5.

And when Outkast was poppin being eccentric wasn't cool. He was doing all that back when most respected rappers fit a certain image and he was still respected as one of the best.

Man people worship 3k and never speak a word of Big Boi who continues to put out quality music.

Glad that Ice brought up Big Boi

because when Outkast was releasing music nobody was longing for Dre solo albums like they were Sticky and Busta, as if Dre was far superior. I heard more talk of Cee Lo needing to go solo more than Dre.

Meanwhile Big Boi has had a good solo career, but people will act like he was Jarobi and just along for the ride.

I've noticed theres this crowd that wasn't into Outkast and they really got hip to Andre around 06-07 when he started doing all those features so their argument is "well you can't be top based on a group and features".

Outkast is a duo, not a 3 or 4 man group. Andre was doing many hooks and verses for 4 great/classic albums worth of music. Big Boi was also. Andre got more than enough music to be top 5.

And when Outkast was poppin being eccentric wasn't cool. He was doing all that back when most respected rappers fit a certain image and he was still respected as one of the best.

Can't speak for everyone else but i was well aware of Outkast growing up, i just never really loved the music. gave them more spins as an adult & still don't love it. It's good but to me it isn't GOAT level.

If anything i will say that around 06-10 is where a wave of people calling Andre one of the best ever started. Not like a slowburn but just one day people seemed to wake up & call 3K a GOAT.

But aside from my personal feelings, i think ya'll are really undervaluing how much help being in a group with another phenomenal rapper helps you.

Imagine if Nas or Jay were tasked with coming up with 1 - 1/2 verses instead of three on their projects, if they had help writing hooks on every record, if they weren't allowed to veer to far off a sound because they had to stay in tune with someone else's creativity. How much better a song can be when another tone & perspective is added etc etc

there are A lot of overwhelming advantages you have as an artist in a group compared to a solo artist. Then you take into account he's released maybe 3 verses a year for a decade + at this point, those become a lot less impressive when comparing him to other All Timers.

Can't speak for everyone else but i was well aware of Outkast growing up, i just never really loved the music. gave them more spins as an adult & still don't love it. It's good but to me it isn't GOAT level.

If anything i will say that around 06-10 is where a wave of people calling Andre one of the best ever started. Not like a slowburn but just one day people seemed to wake up & call 3K a GOAT.

But aside from my personal feelings, i think ya'll are really undervaluing how much help being in a group with another phenomenal rapper helps you.

Imagine if Nas or Jay were tasked with coming up with 1 - 1/2 verses instead of three on their projects, if they had help writing hooks on every record, if they weren't allowed to veer to far off a sound because they had to stay in tune with someone else's creativity. How much better a song can be when another tone & perspective is added etc etc

there are A lot of overwhelming advantages you have as an artist in a group compared to a solo artist. Then you take into account he's released maybe 3 verses a year for a decade + at this point, those become a lot less impressive when comparing him to other All Timers.

People didn't just come out the blue praising 3k. Again Outkast has 4 albums that were regarded as classics, at least great.

xxl-magazine-december-2000-outkast-1-d363ec09c2ea75b21398494d751ccb98.jpg

southernplaya.jpg

The love been there. Him and Big Boi are probably the most consistent group ever. We've seen groups fall off, not live up.

And a side note, praising Andre don't mean you hating on Big Boi and you can give Big Bio his props w/o knocking Andre. Big Boi is high my list too, Andre was just better. You don't put out classic after classic duo albums with just one great MC.

Last edited:
People didn't just come out the blue praising 3k. Again Outkast has 4 albums that were regarded as classics, at least great.

xxl-magazine-december-2000-outkast-1-d363ec09c2ea75b21398494d751ccb98.jpg

southernplaya.jpg

The love been there. Him and Big Boi are probably the most consistent group ever. We've seen groups fall off, not live up.

And a side note, praising Andre don't mean you hating on Big Boi and you can give Big Bio his props w/o knocking Andre. Big Boi is high my list too, Andre was just better. You don't put out classic after classic duo albums with just one great MC.

I'm not disagreeing with nothing your saying but all of this is about OUTKAST. Like someone stated earlier there was no extreme push for Dre to go solo, or people putting him on top 5 list. There greatness was always praised as a pairing growing up.

somewhere around 06 - 10 is when people started treating Andre like some unicorn GOAT, that wasn't the perception at all during Outkast run, people may have argued the GROUP as the best ever but not Dre specically.

I agree with the first part because most people ain't really "get" Love Below til a couple years later but 3K and Wayne are not contemporaries at all. Dre was a grown man from the time OutKast dropped. Yeah Wayne was rapping but he was not contemporaries with the top mid-late 90's rappers. :lol:

I'm not disagreeing with nothing your saying but all of this is about OUTKAST. Like someone stated earlier there was no extreme push for Dre to go solo, or people putting him on top 5 list. There greatness was always praised as a pairing growing up.

somewhere around 06 - 10 is when people started treating Andre like some unicorn GOAT, that wasn't the perception at all during Outkast run, people may have argued the GROUP as the best ever but not Dre specically.

There wasn't a reason to push Andre to go solo because Big Bio was great too. Busta was part of a weak group so yeah he shoulda went solo.

Again, OutKast is a duo. Are you saying people didn't look at Dre as a great rapper from 94-03? You can't have a all-time group duo w/o 2 all-time great rappers.

He doesn’t have the body of work to be compared to HOV.
He has 5 OutKast albums & The Love Below. Many ppl are taking that over Hov's output. I know I can't immediately say I'd take either over the other. Idek the answer rn. Like 2 of 4 most early music memories are OutKast & Hov, & I still listen to both til this day, so like they both mean a lot :lol:

He has 5 OutKast albums & The Love Below. Many ppl are taking that over Hov's output. I know I can't immediately say I'd take either over the other. Idek the answer rn. Like 2 of 4 most early music memories are OutKast & Hov, & I still listen to both til this day, so like they both mean a lot :lol:

Hov did it solo, man. You can’t just act like Andre 3k made those Outkast albums and Big Boi rode his coattails :lol:.

Hov did it solo, man. You can’t just act like Andre 3k made those Outkast albums and Big Boi rode his coattails :lol:.
I don't think that at all. Big Boi was better than Andre on the 1st 2 albums. Hov rapped like he was just mainly picking beats until MCHG while OutKast sounded like the were from scratch on top of adding bars, hooks, and melodies. The artistry is just different, and it isn't as easy as you're trying to make it look.

Jamar was trying to school him. When he said you might as well lip sync. I feel the same way, it might as well be like Soul Train. You rapping along out of sync makes it sound like a echo and not clear.

and I always thought they did that out of laziness, and so they could have their people on stage and be drunk and high. It's a half assed effort, and makes most of these rap shows not worth going to. It's really an appearance instead of concert. Hell you know you aren't going to get anything unplanned or off the top of the head.

There wasn't a reason to push Andre to go solo because Big Bio was great too. Busta was part of a weak group so yeah he shoulda went solo.

Again, OutKast is a duo. Are you saying people didn't look at Dre as a great rapper from 94-03? You can't have a all-time group duo w/o 2 all-time great rappers.

Leaders weren't a weak group. Just like Onyx and Goodie Mobb weren't.

Some people just have star qualities and stand out above the rest. Like Jada. Sometimes it's not even talent and them being better. Outkast was like Tribe, where each had their fans and they had a yin and yang that balanced the other out.

Charlie Brown was a good rapper, Dinco was wack. Big DS and Sonny Seeza were ehhhh, but Fredro was cool.

Back
Top Bottom