The Combat Jack Show Thread

but why should his opinion be discounted or why should someone else matters more?

The people making decisions for people in this country do that **** all the time.

Most of the stuff they discuss is so surface level, everyones opinion should be considered. Joe says a lot of stupid ****, so his opinion means more, because he's a drop out, addict and former rapper? Like that east coast bias argument you mentioned, and how Joe doesn't say they have one, because they bring up Outkast and Scarface every fifth episode. :lol:

and Ice has some of the same arguments I see up here. Dudes were 8 when Get Rich Came Out and will try to discuss it's impact. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not saying his opinion on everything is invalidated, but i think in this instance Ish & Joe were talking about a certain period of music & the impact it had, I fully understand why they wouldn't wanna hear any of his opinions on it because dude was literally never outside :lol:

It like me having arguments about how NYC felt about Rakim knowing damn well i wasn't around for that. I could know history but it would be wild for me to insist that my opinion is equal to people who were actively living it

I'm not saying his opinion on everything is invalidated, but i think in this instance Ish & Joe were talking about a certain period of music & the impact it had, I fully understand why they wouldn't wanna hear any of his opinions on it because dude was literally never outside :lol:

It like me having arguments about how NYC felt about Rakim knowing damn well i wasn't around for that. I could know history but it would be wild for me to insist that my opinion is equal to people who were actively living it

The thing about it, Ice has never done that. Rory used to do it.

Ice is quick to point out that I listen to this, I wasn't raised on this. I'm not in to boom bap. I don't like Premier. I didn't care about Premier versus RZA. That's why I have no problem with him, and had problems with Rory talking about **** when he was four. I don't want to hear you talk about Wu Tang.

Joe pulled that out of his ***, to change the argument, because he sounded stupid talking about the down south argument, and isn't knowledgeable enough about young kids to realize that **** is different from the 90's and no longer regional. The internet first with social media and downloading and then streaming changed all of that.

I used to point our Rory doing that **** all the time, even if I have different musical taste than Ice, I respect his side, because everything is subjective.

The thing about it, Ice has never done that. Rory used to do it.

Ice is quick to point out that I listen to this, I wasn't raised on this. I'm not in to boom bap. I don't like Premier. I didn't care about Premier versus RZA. That's why I have no problem with him, and had problems with Rory talking about **** when he was four. I don't want to hear you talk about Wu Tang.

Joe pulled that out of his ***, to change the argument, because he sounded stupid talking about the down south argument, and isn't knowledgeable enough about young kids to realize that **** is different from the 90's and no longer regional. The internet first with social media and downloading and then streaming changed all of that.

I used to point our Rory doing that **** all the time, even if I have different musical taste than Ice, I respect his side, because everything is subjective.

two things

1) Joe 10000% has a NY bias/90 rap bias, no point in even arguing it.
2) He still made valid points about your surroundings & interactions with the music being integral to shaping how much you grow to love certain records. Everyone is bias towards whatever particular sounds/artist captivated you at important times in your life.

Ice being from Jersey & being a 37 year old man & saying things like he hates boom bap, doesn't like Premo, RZA etc etc actually makes so much more sense now. ***** was stashed away in the house & not interacting with anything so he wouldn't have the appreciation for that sound that others in his age range have.

I gotta save that for a day when I can really listen like a road trip. I got to a section where dude was like "we're all Ghost" and had no idea what the **** he was talking about.

Omari do be going a lil too far. :lol:

But this is a great interview. The point he was making about Ghost is people was so attachted to that charater because the image Ghost was. A black man that can step in any room and carry himself as a man. In the street world and business world. I know for me that one of the things that caught my attention when the show first started.

They asked him about marrying a white chick and he didn't run from it. He understands why black women feel a way and he wasn't defensive or dismissive about it. I don't think anybody can be mad at how he broke that down.

Omari do be going a lil too far. :lol:

But this is a great interview. The point he was making about Ghost is people was so attachted to that charater because the image Ghost was. A black man that can step in any room and carry himself as a man. In the street world and business world. I know for me that one of the things that caught my attention when the show first started.

They asked him about marrying a white chick and he didn't run from it. He understands why black women feel a way and he wasn't defensive or dismissive about it. I don't think anybody can be mad at how he broke that down.

Ice would have been around 10 in the Wu/Bootcamp era, and 13/14 when No Limit and Cash Money hit the scene nationally.

two things

1) Joe 10000% has a NY bias/90 rap bias, no point in even arguing it.
2) He still made valid points about your surroundings & interactions with the music being integral to shaping how much you grow to love certain records. Everyone is bias towards whatever particular sounds/artist captivated you at important times in your life.

Ice being from Jersey & being a 37 year old man & saying things like he hates boom bap, doesn't like Premo, RZA etc etc actually makes so much more sense now. ***** was stashed away in the house & not interacting with anything so he wouldn't have the appreciation for that sound that others in his age range have.

If Ice is 37/38, that means he was born it at least 1985. I was born in 1987.

I wish someone would ask him if he didn’t like boom bap, WTF was he listening to in the 90s and early 2000s. Because he would’ve been the age range of 7-15. He would’ve been 15 years old in the year 2000.

Like bruh if you’re from up top, a mid 80s baby, growing up in that area, you either were SHELTER as we all assume your parents never let you listen to rap. Like what music could he have been listening to during his youth :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember all the songs of my youth. Local and regional and I was born in 1987.

Or he could not just like that music.

I’m from Cali. My brother growing up was a big west coast listener while his homie always leaned towards the south (no limit, cash money, etc)

If Ice is 37/38, that means he was born it at least 1985. I was born in 1987.

I wish someone would ask him if he didn’t like boom bap, WTF was he listening to in the 90s and early 2000s. Because he would’ve been the age range of 7-15. He would’ve been 15 years old in the year 2000.

Like bruh if you’re from up top, a mid 80s baby, growing up in that area, you either were SHELTER as we all assume your parents never let you listen to rap. Like what music could he have been listening to during his youth :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember all the songs of my youth. Local and regional and I was born in 1987.

because "gangsta" rap aka west coast rap was also popular in the early 90's when he was a pre teen and teen. Snoop was the biggest artist in the world.

I'm confused why dudes don't understand that when he was 10 he would have rather have listened to Doggystyle than Illmatic.

This is going to appeal to someone 10

Last edited:
because "gangsta" rap aka west coast rap was also popular in the early 90's when he was a pre teen and teen. Snoop was the biggest artist in the world.

I'm confused why dudes don't understand that when he was 10 he would have rather have listened to Doggystyle than Illmatic.

This is facts I was born in 88 and my first memories of hip hop was The Chronic, Doggystyle and All Eyez On Me. Running around outside and being in people's houses you just heard it.

Yea it’s like the lil kids right now being more into NBA Youngboy or whatever they hear on the radio/tik tok than Benny…Nothing too deep to look into n doesn’t say much about em at that point in their life

Ice gon leave the pod soon :lol:

Joe and Corey Holcomb are a lot alike when it comes to their friends.

Yeah, he borders on not respecting other peoples opinion and is rather close minded and shouts people down.

That's why I don't understand the you didn't do this or that, so I can't respect your opinion on this. You have to be a car mechanic for me to respect your opinion on cars? You didn't do percs, so you can't give an opinion on Future.

I hate when stupid people are know it alls.

The Drake pic reminded me of Tank and his R Kelly basketball story :rofl:

I've heard numerous stories of the same thing where the people on his team just set picks and play defense and he is the only one who shoots.

and I think he was alluding to Aaliyah's uncle being the one who wasn't giving him money.

Aye, when I was growing up outside was just your constant state of being.

Ice sound like he ran into some bullies and his fam put him in a bubble.

It seems like the majority of the thread doesn’t agree, but there’s a lot to him being disconnected from that era of hip hop in NYC because he was getting all his music through osmosis.

Ice is older than me and tried to frame it like our age group grew up on the internet.

We were outside all 90s and early 00s.

I remember the first time I heard Killing Me Softly playing ball on a summer day.

How you hip hop and don’t have those experiences.

I been avoiding this topic mainly because I could tell it struck a chord with some people. :lol:

And it’s ironic cause he’s the first one to tell you he don’t like that type of music.

He wasn’t there, so I understand.

Back
Top Bottom