The Combat Jack Show Thread

Aye, when I was growing up outside was just your constant state of being.

Ice sound like he ran into some bullies and his fam put him in a bubble.

It seems like the majority of the thread doesn’t agree, but there’s a lot to him being disconnected from that era of hip hop in NYC because he was getting all his music through osmosis.

Ice is older than me and tried to frame it like our age group grew up on the internet.

We were outside all 90s and early 00s.

I remember the first time I heard Killing Me Softly playing ball on a summer day.

How you hip hop and don’t have those experiences.

I been avoiding this topic mainly because I could tell it struck a chord with some people. :lol:

And it’s ironic cause he’s the first one to tell you he don’t like that type of music.

He wasn’t there, so I understand.

it's really this simple

the majority of kids (especially those growing up in the 90's/early 00's pre internet age) inherited their musical taste by what was being played around them. Whether that be in parks, radios, block parties, older cats on the block playing music. Even if as you age it no longer becomes your preferred sound, it's very rare you get someone from the tristate who claims to hate that style, because if you were outside in any format it's sort of programmed into you.

I hate that people tried to frame having experiences outside to being on the street reckless with no supervision :lol: . Like you said there's so many songs i have memories of justplaying ball in the park, Hearing older dudes with the stereo's/whips on the block, at block parties etc etc

Last edited:
I think y’all ignoring the fact that he can just not like that specific type of music :lol:

Ice does seem like a slightly more experienced DJ Akademiks in some ways.

It's absolutely possible, Just based off being someone from the Eastcoast who's in their early 30's it very uncommon to find people who dislike that sound but are eneamored with modern day hiphop that is geared towards teens.

Again tho i'm not saying he shouldn't have an opinion on it, but i think Joe & Ish had a very valid reason to not wanna have that discussion with him on that specific topic. Honestly tho this is way bigger than Ice & just an interesting topic on a larger scale.

It's absolutely possible, Just based off being someone from the Eastcoast who's in their early 30's it very uncommon to find people who dislike that sound but are eneamored with modern day hiphop that is geared towards teens.

Again tho i'm not saying he shouldn't have an opinion on it, but i think Joe & Ish had a very valid reason to not wanna have that discussion with him on that specific topic. Honestly tho this is way bigger than Ice & just an interesting topic on a larger scale.
Joe does have a point in saying you had to be there to understand it’s impact. I agree with that.

And Ice doesn’t seem to care for 80s and early 90s boom bap rap. I’ve heard him discuss mid 90s and 2000s rap.

This topic applies more to Rory imo. He would do it all the time and would piss Magic33 Magic33 off when he would discuss rap he wasn’t born around to witness :lol:

because "gangsta" rap aka west coast rap was also popular in the early 90's when he was a pre teen and teen. Snoop was the biggest artist in the world.

I'm confused why dudes don't understand that when he was 10 he would have rather have listened to Doggystyle than Illmatic.

This is going to appeal to someone 10

That’s why I asked who his favorite musicians were during that time. Being a snoop fan explains. Nothing wrong with that. I’m from
The south and literally listened to every coast and region.

Yeah, he just gravitated to a different genre of rap.

His brother might be different, because he's a battle rapper so he probably cares about lyrics.

You see the progression in Ice, west coast, no limit/cash money, Dip Set/Fab.....

It's like his interest was what was poppin or the in thing musically at the time.

I don't dismiss that, because that probably describes a lot of people. I do find it a lot of either or, and people pick sides of the path of their interest musically.

but find it odd how his opinions are being judged by someone who can really only suck Drake off and mention Jay-Z. I see Ice's progression musically, but Joe's makes no damn sense. I never got the impression that he ever loved rap, as a fan or as an artist, it was just his therapy and it paid the bills.

Yeah, he just gravitated to a different genre of rap.

His brother might be different, because he's a battle rapper so he probably cares about lyrics.

You see the progression in Ice, west coast, no limit/cash money, Dip Set/Fab.....

It's like his interest was what was poppin or the in thing musically at the time.

I don't dismiss that, because that probably describes a lot of people. I do find it a lot of either or, and people pick sides of the path of their interest musically.

but find it odd how his opinions are being judged by someone who can really only suck Drake off and mention Jay-Z. I see Ice's progression musically, but Joe's makes no damn sense. I never got the impression that he ever loved rap, as a fan or as an artist, it was just his therapy and it paid the bills.

Bruh the ***** has a full 15 minute song detailing what killed hiphop

Nobody who doesn't love hiphop is doing some insane **** like that :lol: . Joe is just egotistical & feels the need to be right on everything but quite honestly the reason his show is where it's at now is because he has been so attached and passionate about hiphop.

Like tay1 tay1 said it's moreso focused on his era & everything before it. If you are in love with lyric driven rap, storytelling & Wordplay then today's music is going to naturally not interest you much outside of clubbing/riding around

I think y’all ignoring the fact that he can just not like that specific type of music :lol:

Ice does seem like a slightly more experienced DJ Akademiks in some ways.

We understand, that’s why we’re asking WHAT exactly did he listen to in the 90s then? Or, he was just around “fake” liking songs until the early/mid 2000s?

You mean to tell me that it took dude a full 16-18 years to finally find music he liked? By 2003, he would’ve been 18 years old.

Now if he preferred, west coast or southern music, that’s fine.

We understand, that’s why we’re asking WHAT exactly did his listen to in the 90s then? Or, he was just around “fake” liking songs until the early/mid 2000s?

You mean to tell me that it took dude a full 16-18 years to finally find music he liked? By 2003, he would’ve been 18 years old.

Now if he preferred, west coast or southern music, that’s fine.
He’s mentioned that he primary liked West-coast and Southern music. There’s been plenty times on Patreon where they just play music and it seems he preferred New York music from the mid 90s going forward and he doesn’t favor the boom bap or alternative type of style that was prevalent in the late 80s, early 90s

It seems like the majority of the thread doesn’t agree, but there’s a lot to him being disconnected from that era of hip hop in NYC because he was getting all his music through osmosis.

Ice is older than me and tried to frame it like our age group grew up on the internet.

I remember the first time I heard Killing Me Softly playing ball on a summer day.

I been avoiding this topic mainly because I could tell it struck a chord with some people. :lol:

And it’s ironic cause he’s the first one to tell you he don’t like that type of music.

He probably discovered what was poppin from people in school and then on message boards and AIM chat rooms 🤷‍♂️

I just look at it as different, and not much different than today. How does someone find out what's hot musically now?

Not sure what type of school he went to, but he was a nerd who grew up just before the internet era who gravitated towards that when it was introduced who was probably already inside playing video games. When I was a kid, there were kids who would rather have been playing video games than playing basketball or football outside.

Ice was the precursor to what there is today. They were literally born in to, and Ice was wrapped up in it by high school.

I can listen to him talk about music and respect his opinion, I don't want to hear him talk about playing football in the street or playing handball, because he wasn't outside 🤷‍♂️

He’s mentioned that he primary liked West-coast and Southern music. There’s been plenty times on Patreon where they just play music and it seems he preferred New York music from the mid 90s going forward and he doesn’t favor the boom bap or alternative type of style that was prevalent in the late 80s, early 90s

Ice literally liked the most popular artist at every period.

West Coast, Cash Money/No Limit, Fab/50/Dip Set...

I think he's even mentioned Em, so he probably had a Eminem period.

He probably listened to Mase, and of course he listened to Jay and DMX

I think the only person he hasn't mentioned with fondness was Nelly

I think what the outrage is that they kinda saying that if your parents did their job u a square :lol:

lol on the other hand no one forcing ice to jump into these convos about **** he was inside for

:lol: Aren't these music convos though? What does inside/outside have to do with it? Only counts if you was on the block listening on the boombox? Unless they're talking clubs and parties and ****.
I kinda agree but ….. even on here you can tell the difference of opinions from people who still outside every now and then and dudes who don’t leave the forum.

I don’t mean outside in the streets but just outside the damn house lol

But I do think everybody should have an opinion … I just understand why somebody who isn’t outside , opinion would differ

Last edited:
I cant imagine listening to Illmatic without all the context of the city that I have. For me that music was a 1:1 representation of what was going on outside. Not too dissimilar from today, but back then you didn’t have the free flow of media and information that you have now. You had to pick up what you picked up where you picked it up. For a lot of us in our 30s now, that was being outside. Not necessarily getting involved in negativity, but being a stones throw from it.

But I think the point that Magic33 Magic33 was making is true. That’s just my corner of the universe and how I experienced stuff like The Score or Illmatic or Reasonable Doubt. I guess that’s what makes that music so valuable to me personally.

I think what the outrage is that they kinda saying that if your parents did their job u a square :lol:

lol on the other hand no one forcing ice to jump into these convos about **** he was inside for

Yeah, that was the part I didn't like.

Joe made fun of Ice for his mom being active, him not getting in trouble and going to school

You're a suicidal drop out addict.

Meanwhile that's the path of his oldest son and that's what people aspire for their kids. To have more and do better than they did without the same struggles.

That was some immature high school projection ****. Where the kids belittle the smart kids, because they aren't cool. Bro, you're 40. And it was weird, because he's one of raps weirdos.

I cant imagine listening to Illmatic without all the context of the city that I have. For me that music was a 1:1 representation of what was going on outside. Not too dissimilar from today, but back then you didn’t have the free flow of media and information that you have now. You had to pick up what you picked up where you picked it up. For a lot of us in our 30s now, that was being outside. Not necessarily getting involved in negativity, but being a stones throw from it.

But I think the point that Magic33 Magic33 was making is true. That’s just my corner of the universe and how I experienced stuff like The Score or Illmatic or Reasonable Doubt. I guess that’s what makes that music so valuable to me personally.

It was weird, because he's not even big on Lauryn and The Fugees, being from Jersey. I just shrug b.

I guess he looks to music for entertainment and an escape and doesn't want to decipher lyricism.

I don’t mean outside in the streets but just outside the damn house lol

Outside your own bubble most importantly.

Going to different cities/towns during the summer/school holidays, being around people other than the ones from your school/neighborhood. Being around family/friends from different states/backgrounds, participating in activities like school sports/rec league, attending school basketball/football games (not just home games), the meet ups after those games, summer camps etc

I think people underestimate how simple things the average person does broaden's their life.

100% of my early music influence was shaped during car rides/rode trips and hanging around older family members who were "outside"

If it was up to my parents I would have been super sheltered too good thing I didn't listen very. It's normal for people especially kids to push boundaries.

Yeah, that was the part I didn't like.

Joe made fun of Ice for his mom being active, him not getting in trouble and going to school

You're a suicidal drop out addict.

Meanwhile that's the path of his oldest son and that's what people aspire for their kids. To have more and do better than they did without the same struggles.

That was some immature high school projection ****. Where the kids belittle the smart kids, because they aren't cool. Bro, you're 40. And it was weird, because he's one of raps weirdos.

Joe is always gonna go extra with the Jokes & antics but both him & Ish acknowledged that obviously you want your child to live a safer less traumatic life. But the point remains that there's levels to this, you could still be a good kid & also be outside :lol:

That is my issue with Ice's whole take, he's acting like anyone who wasn't locked in the house playing videogames all day had no parental supervision & was outside being a menace to society. Son just mad that they called him a dork & as a dude who's known for being on social media it rubs him the wrong way

This is a really good interview. Can tell he from a certain era. You really don’t hear anybody talking about learning to make videos from Access Granted and Making the video.

Dude real honest and got a good perspective on him. Pure talent

This is a really good interview. Can tell he from a certain era. You really don’t hear anybody talking about learning to make videos from Access Granted and Making the video.

Dude real honest and got a good perspective on him. Pure talent

The No jumper dude terrible…Keeps trying make yo get into street/negative type talk :smh: , props to him for swerving most of it

I'm 4 years younger than him and I didn't grow up on the internet. Myspace didn't really take off until what 06? I was 18 by that time. He just a sheltered nerd. That's what it sounds like and that's cool. His mother overprotected him and I can understand why.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom