The Combat Jack Show Thread

I don’t blame Deion…but let’s be real here. Him and only him, are UNIQUELY in the position to affect change.

The #1 recruit (a generational talent) going to Jackson State was HUGE. What Deion was able to accomplish there in a short time was incredible. And you know damn well it was a threat to power 6, FCS/D1 etc etc.

So like they always do In America, they lure you in with the structure and capital they have set up. Makes it easier for you, while they are the ones that truly reap the financial benefits. The money that has been made in Colorado in 3 weeks is insane

Can’t fault him, because we get up and do what he does as well. It just seems like Deion had all the tools (idk if he still crazy rich; but we know he been getting a bag for our entire lifetime & he’s an icon and arguably the greatest to ever play his sport) to try to affect real change in HBCU/Sports over a longer period of time. But it may not be him. He may be the spark or inspiration.

Charleston white says some wild **** in this interview, but the through-line is true.

i’d agree that d.sanders was in a unique position, but whether it would have fundamentally changed the value proposition of hbcus in the context of either collegiate sports or higher education is really speculation, it definitely could have & did in his time there raised the profile of jackson state but how far it would have spread beyond that is shaky…the reality is today the economics aren’t in hbcu’s favor generally or specifically in regards to sport

i’d agree that d.sanders was in a unique position, but whether it would have fundamentally changed the value proposition of hbcus in the context of either collegiate sports or higher education is really speculation, it definitely could have & did in his time there raised the profile of jackson state but how far it would have spread beyond that is shaky…the reality is today the economics aren’t in hbcu’s favor generally or specifically in regards to sport

I think this is why Hoop Dreams is my favorite movie of all time. It touches directly on this:

And having been somebody that grew up in the era, playing ball…where it was sold to us that getting into a “Private School or Catholic School” to play and go to school, instead of your local school. And they will cut you off instantly. Just like in the work world. Arthur Agee got done dirty by a coach who many love, but truly did not care about the kids.

Look at how today, it’s rare to have a city school that’s a national powerhouse in basketball. Pulling from their natural talent. John Marshall (Richmond) in 2023, is so unique.

But That model of poaching talent is still here. It went went to the IMG Academies etc today. And soon, Overtime Elite.

Last edited:
College coaches move to other programs all the time. Lane Kiffin gave a verbal agreement to one school then went to another like a week later. :lol:

Pete ran outta USC as soon those sanctions came down. Way more examples.

They don't run in with the God and talking about saving lives talk like Deion does. You know it's a business for them.

Then integration and look now. There is a scene in the Pistol Pete movie (FIRE btw, although whitewashed), where Press Maravich comes to the conclusion after going to a black school across the tracks (and they dunking and 360ing and all that :lol:)…that if they’re going to compete in the future, they have to integrate. Not out of any love…but to keep his job.

1:03:00 minute mark:

The basketball scenes in this movie are fire btw.

The NFL hall of fame is comprised of 10% HBCU alumni. Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Buck Buchannan, etc.

Bear Bryant was racist AF. After getting his a*** beat when Alabama played USC (because they had a black RB) he realized he had to start recruiting black players.

The NCAA, NFL, MLB, NBA realized that they were actually MISSING out on money and exposure and the black market so that’s the only reason they integrated those sports.

It’s that simple and plain. (In my opinion) On some damn, all we have to do is allow these more creative and athletic guys to play our sports and we could still control the landscape and make money.

That’s the only reason they integrated all major sports IMO

A lot of those white institutions got tired of being embarrassed by black athletes and the “eureka” moment was to integrate, instead of shun them away. It was all a money tactic.

Same with private schools and catholic schools that take the best players from the hood and public schools, give them a free ride to said private school. Rinse and repeat

Edit: wavycrocket wavycrocket I see you touched on private schools poaching dudes from the hood

Last edited:
They don't run in with the God and talking about saving lives talk like Deion does. You know it's a business for them.

Yes they do :lol:

All these coaches give the usual we're a family. I'm here to help these kids speech. That's the main thing they sell in recruiting. Don't no coach walk in these homes saying "I'm only about my business".

Last edited:
Listening to the pod and I haven’t heard a Drake album since If You’re Reading This. Is that Drake they’re making fun of for the Charlene, Darlene and sardine line? That verse is awful but that sounds nothing like him. He get plastic surgery on his vocals too?

well wednesdays pod should be interesting

IMG_0765.jpeg

so glad Joe can’t hide behind being cool with drake after this message

ever since drake said he’d come to the pod joe fell in line

all that maybe true but Drake going to i got more money than you so you cant say anything is corny, like son dropped a horrible album and one of the rare times he collab’d with his “peer”, got smoked out the building!

It’s art, it meant to be judged bg everyone

Will Smith smack energy. He know that deep down and found a easy target in Joe. That’s all.

Last edited:

IMG_0765.jpeg

This is wild considering how Joe help his punches. This might be one of the bigger disappointments (musically) from Drake.

all that maybe true but Drake going to i got more money than you so you cant say anything is corny, like son dropped a horrible album and one of the rare times he collab’d with his “peer”, got smoked out the building!

It’s art, it meant to be judged bg everyone

Will Smith smack energy. He know that deep down and found a easy target in Joe. That’s all.
Your man looking crazy in the light. I'm happy to see u (my man's in real life) be objective about the actions of 'The Boy's.

drake cracked a billion dollar code in music

he hasn’t been trying to make the best sounding music in damn near a decade

it’s too much money being generated to stop

if the money slows up he may regroup

outside of that this is drake

ain’t no way in hell this is the music 40 wants to make

IMG_0765.jpeg

He sounds hurt. Why get mad if you’re taking the money route? If you’re putting out subpar product then expect people to call it what it is.

I just happen to listen to the Drake episode through all the slurping.

The funny thing is Joe was being nice, he said he was going to stop listening to rap albums and he didn't like blank through blank, but he still liked the album. Even though you know he didn't.

That's why you can't act the way the Charlemagne's, Ak's and Joe's do towards artist, because the time you say you don't like **** they get sensitive.

I've told you dudes 40 year old Drake was remedial and no substance a long time ago. People treat that lame mutha****a the same way they treat Mary, SZA and Summer Walker, I can't wait until I hear his petty and him talking about his relationships. And he proceeds to take jabs at Rihanna, because she found "happiness", and women cheer that corny **** on.

and his whole thing to Joe, I have more money than you, in a long and passionate sassy neck rolling response. :lol:

drake was replying to a clip that ended before Joe explained other things

no way in hell drake listened to the whole ep

drake cracked a billion dollar code in music

he hasn’t been trying to make the best sounding music in damn near a decade

it’s too much money being generated to stop

if the money slows up he may regroup

outside of that this is drake

ain’t no way in hell this is the music 40 wants to make

What would that code be? How is this more successful or profitable than Take Care/NWTS/IYRTITL which were full of hits but also pretty critically acclaimed/universally regarded as his best work? Same for most albums (GRODT, Blueprint, College Dropout, Graduation, etc.) from 2000-2015 that people put on “top ten rap albums” lists. People always speak as if it has to be one or the other

What would that code be? How is this more successful or profitable than Take Care/NWTS/IYRTITL which were full of hits but also pretty critically acclaimed/universally regarded as his best work? Same for most albums (GRODT, Blueprint, College Dropout, Graduation, etc.) from 2000-2015 that people put on “top ten rap albums” lists. People always speak as if it has to be one or the other

drakes albums were never really that great

his best tracks were always loosies

and I suppose all the stuff you listed were more national hits and now he’s going for a wider market

her loss is his best project to me along with if you’re reading this…

and I like the tone of take care but it’s not as good as people act but it does have one of my favorite songs from drake on it, ‘the ride’ (pause). ish is all throwaway weekend songs

no album drake has made ever gave me a classic feel

her loss and if you’re reading this the only 2 projects of his I can listen to straight thru minus a skip or 2

most songs I see people go crazy for from him I would never listen to again

Back
Top Bottom