The Combat Jack Show Thread

Sold like 400K, streaming and adding Hotline Bling's old streams pushed it to that fraudulent 1 mil.
all we are going to remember is drake went platinum in a week. And has 3 about to be 4 multiplatinum albums. But lets keep this a podcast thread for now. Neil degrasse tyson looked gone on desus&mero. Another great interview.

Imo Drake isn't making them super crazy hit records he was doing back to back for awhile now and that's directly linked to his lack of legit writers.

You'd have to be deaf not to notice this especially currently. Them UK dudes aren't it and he knows that. Just a attempt to wave ride and maybe they make a cross over hit he can jump on.

Same thing can be said about Nicki and it's super obvious.

There is no comparison between Kendricks album and Drakes. Better off putting Views up against it, which still fails drastically. At least he took Hotline bing and made a banger.

Imo Drake isn't making them super crazy hit records he was doing back to back for awhile now and that's directly linked to his lack of legit writers.

You'd have to be deaf not to notice this especially currently. Them UK dudes aren't it and he knows that. Just a attempt to wave ride and maybe they make a cross over hit he can jump on.

Same thing can be said about Nicki and it's super obvious.

There is no comparison between Kendricks album and Drakes. Better off putting Views up against it, which still fails drastically. At least he took Hotline bing and made a banger.
the uk stuff is probably a precursor to what is to come. Drake is calculated more than most record companies. Probably moving more international. But yeah if you like which ever album its your preference. But drake and kdot are not close to being competing artist.

Doing music with all the international artists was probably heavily influenced by global streams since kids today care so much about streaming numbers.

Combat's show this week with 9th Wonder goes nicely with Ed Lover having Kool Moe Dee and Doug on his show.

I agree with it being periods

Kool Moe Dee, Caz and Melle Mel birthed Rakim and Kane and then Jay, Biggie and Nas

and midlife crisis Combat tries too hard. You can respect that this is their era, but also acknowledge and witness the dangers how things currently are and impart your wisdom from being your age. 9th said a lot of stuff I've said up here. I'm glad someone from the south said something about how it's become cool to not know how to speak and enunciate. My tipping point was what Lil Jon and Plies do.

and The Source, Vibe and XXL always had a bunch of black writers talking about our culture. Looking at Complex's offices :smh:

This **** is ridiculous now. I listened to the new new york playlist on apple, and the only dudes who you would know was from New York were Dave East , Young MA and Don Q. How are you going to win trying to duplicate someone else? You're going to try and out southern southern rappers? Rapping in fake southern drawls :smh:

Killer Mike on Hannibal :nthat:

the uk stuff is probably a precursor to what is to come. Drake is calculated more than most record companies. Probably moving more international. But yeah if you like which ever album its your preference. But drake and kdot are not close to being competing artist.

listening to any of the few interviews drake has done, i think that is a pretty good assumption to make...though i don't know what it means functionally to be moving more international, when almost by default of being one of the biggest music artists, his music is already pretty international...though it is possible that is the thinking, i rather think it is that he is just trying to catch the wave to keep the music fresh/different, in ways that his contemporaries aren't...which to me also explains the playlist distinction

almost by definition drake & kendrick are competing, or at least that has been the traditional stance of artists at the top of the rap pyramid...which maybe was more fitting for a time when music was more regional, gatekeepers & tastemakers were not only more consolidated but also less conspicuous, and consumers really had to make a zero sum decision on what to spend their dollars on, now none of that is the same or hold nearly the same weight...the people coming up now do not really look each other competitively, rather they are about managing their brand & cultivating their audience & collaborating to grow their influence...

i was really interested in seeing how this went with lil boat...alot a cringeworthy on this episode, joe's had a decent points, but he ain't really leave room for people to even respond and the other 3 were mostly a non-factor...maybe what they show needs as much as the other 2 to step to budden in these type situations, is a better editor/producer...

I like that they had ross on their show. It shows music artist that they arent gonna get grilled and have a free flowing interview. Watching their progression for the past few years its crazy how far they came.

I clicked play on Combat just because I saw 9th was in there, it was a good discussion.

"I can tell what type of music my students listen to, by the type of papers they write." Deep.

Beatnuts on Drink Champs :nthat: About time, because Nore talks about Pun like he was the first latin rapper or something and he never mentions Psycho Les and JuJu AND they're from Queens

I didn't listen to the actor dude one. Did anyone listen?

Is the Chris Rock Juan Ep the one people are talking about?

Also clicked play on a itsthereal w/ Johnny Nunez because I've heard choke no joke and Dame bring his name up in interviews. Cool listen. Dude talking jimmy henchman had him take a pic as suge got shot in Miami. :lol: kid rock and Tyson beckford throwing cats of yachts. He's been around of ****, he'd be dope on Drink Champs.

Also clicked play on a itsthereal w/ Johnny Nunez because I've heard choke no joke and Dame bring his name up in interviews. Cool listen. Dude talking jimmy henchman had him take a pic as suge got shot in Miami. :lol: kid rock and Tyson beckford throwing cats of yachts. He's been around of ****, he'd be dope on Drink Champs.

on the subject of choke no joke, check this wild clip of him speaking on the cthagod from around the 25 min mark...the reaction alone is worth it, i don't know if i've ever seen someone be that speechless since chris tucker & mike myers:

Back
Top Bottom