The Combat Jack Show Thread

I have to listen to it in bits and pieces

So Chance said he paid to get his album on Apple, but then later he said that they paid him $500,000 and he got two commercials during the NBA finals of all events. :stoneface:

A lot of contradiction in his statements. Dudes aren't getting that to sign deals. And he acted like that wasn't a big deal. And having Apple give you commercials. Who else is getting albums for commercials in 201*. I haven't seen an album commercial in ages on MTV and BET.

From all that I've gathered...he's independent...ONLY in the sense that he's not under one of the big 3 labels.

This heralded "team" of his which is comprised of known industry movers & shakers basically ARE acting as a label for him (and only him). He's not marching into Apple meetings off the strength of his own merit...but the people around him are plugged into the right networks. He's not an industry plant in the sense that he was planted into the industry by one of the big 3 labels. Instead, he was planted there by another "group". So it's not necessarily TRUE independence. He's playing the same game of networking & politics as everyone else...just not in the same fashion. He is technically the "first" to pull it off like this.

From all that I've gathered...he's independent...ONLY in the sense that he's not under one of the big 3 labels.

This heralded "team" of his which is comprised of known industry movers & shakers basically ARE acting as a label for him (and only him). He's not marching into Apple meetings off the strength of his own merit...but the people around him are plugged into the right networks. He's not an industry plant in the sense that he was planted into the industry by one of the big 3 labels. Instead, he was planted there by another "group". So it's not necessarily TRUE independence. He's playing the same game of networking & politics as everyone else...just not in the same fashion. He is technically the "first" to pull it off like this.

That's what I'm saying. Someone hooked him up with Apple. People who don't have connects don't get that offer and deal. Much less in the door for that opportunity. He's not saying he's not signed to anyone. He's saying that he owns his masters and publishing.

I have to listen to it in bits and pieces

So Chance said he paid to get his album on Apple, but then later he said that they paid him $500,000 and he got two commercials during the NBA finals of all events. :stoneface:

A lot of contradiction in his statements. Dudes aren't getting that to sign deals. And he acted like that wasn't a big deal. And having Apple give you commercials to promote you. Who else is getting albums for commercials in 201*. I haven't seen an album commercial in ages on MTV and BET, much less one of the most watched events of the week. And you know Apple is going to promote you on their playlist and albums to listen to pages to get close to a return. Is that any different than Drake, other than Drake getting more money?

It seems like he's using semantics, because he keeps talking about masters and publishing. That doesn't mean you're indie.

He did a one off album deal.
Salute to him for his success but his whole underdog story is BS. He obviously has A LOT of backing in the industry. He is supposed to be the "normal guy" that made it. Everybody's pushing a image. That's his.

I feel like Chance has never denied that.

On one of his tapes there's a song or interlude, maybe the last track on the tape and it's basically an answer machine of the ppl who helped him wishing him well And him shouting them out. The one thing that stood out to me was how many white voices I heard :lol:

Actually it's one white guy at the beginning of Good *** Out to :lol:

Last edited:
all the stuff chance is saying is bout right

but he’s going into these meetings with stupid leverage not needing the offer whether it’s good or not

his dad not gon let him starve so he can bully better deals

all the stuff chance is saying is bout right

but he’s going into these meetings with stupid leverage not needing the offer whether it’s good or not

his dad not gon let him starve so he can bully better deals

If you listen to chance in that interview, on one hand he said his parents didn't go to college and he acted like he didn't grow up well, but earlier he talked about his dad working with the mayor and Obama. Then I think at another point he caught how negative he was being towards his parents and he said I don't want to make it seem like I'm ****ting on my parents. There was a lot of contradiction there. He will say what that specific "audience" wants to hear or what he thinks they want to hear. The interview was just so long that he went in and out of programmed responses. It's like hearing a Russell Wilson interview. Son is the worst.

Ok, you grew up middle class. There's nothing to be ashamed of. We can tell by how you act and carry yourself. You aren't Bibby or Herb so it doesn't matter either way.

He comes off like a politician and not genuine.

I'm getting married. I'm living in Chicago. I drive a normal Suburban. But I just acted like $500,000 was nothing.

I'm a really nice guy, so you have to like me.

Last edited:
If you listen to chance in that interview, on one hand he said his parents didn't go to college and he acted like he didn't grew up well, but earlier he talked about his dad working with the mayor and Obama. Then I think at another point he caught how negative he was being towards his parents and he said I don't want to make it seem like I'm ****ting on my parents. There was a lot of contradiction there. He will say what that specific "audience" wants to hear or what he thinks they want to hear. The interview was just so long that he went in and out of programmed responses. It's like hearing a Russell Wilson interview. Son is the worst.

Ok, you grew up middle class. There's nothing to be ashamed of. We can tell by how you act and carry yourself. You aren't Bibby or Herb so it doesn't matter either way.

I'm getting married. I'm living in Chicago. I drive a normal Suburban. But I just acted like $500,000 was nothing.

just a yes
or no
does anybody on the pod
call him out for any of this???

If you listen to chance in that interview, on one hand he said his parents didn't go to college and he acted like he didn't grew up well, but earlier he talked about his dad working with the mayor and Obama. Then I think at another point he caught how negative he was being towards his parents and he said I don't want to make it seem like I'm ****ting on my parents. There was a lot of contradiction there. He will say what that specific "audience" wants to hear or what he thinks they want to hear. The interview was just so long that he went in and out of programmed responses. It's like hearing a Russell Wilson interview. Son is the worst.

i caught that as well

I don’t know how his dad got that job tho, he may have gotten his government job thru already knowing obama and not thru education

but I knew all this stuff discussed, I’ve seen other chance interviews

No, they didn’t.

I didn’t know chance had so many people disliking him. I thought he just did his music and stayed out the way.

I think Chance is cool, he just comes off as phony and like a politician. Because he probably grew up seeing his dad being phony to people, and it helped his dad advance. I wouldn't be shocked if he ran for office some day.

He just doesn't come off genuine. I don't dislike him. I just would never trust him. I don't trust phony people.

I like my artist flawed and not acting like they're running for student president at all times. I'm just so busy doing stuff for my city. Please mutha****a.

He's so political when Joe asked him about Kanye, he turned it around and made you forget Joe asked about his thoughts. The greatest living musician?

Damn surprised to see so much discontent with the chance interview.

I thought it was dope. Joe actually didn’t ***** up although he was a lot more jovial regarding some of the harder topics such as chances independence.

While there were some contradictions I do think the interview was a really good look for Chance. He’s well spoken and easy to like, even Mal who can at times seem kinda cynical admited to have changed his stance on Chance.

I liked that Chance kept it real about Good *** Job and working with Kanye. He also admitted he’s only 25 ppl gotta give him some time.

Sucks to hear that he’s on the Andre 3000 wave of making music and even he don’t know when the next project is coming.

“Are you ******* with your album” is still one of the funniest one liners I’ve heard this year.

Sad to see Kanye lose himself word to Em.

Magic33 Magic33 he did answer the Kanye question tho. He straight up said Kanye is just trying to have a bigger blip on the timeline in 300 years, he believes Ye selfishly will say and do things that attract media attention even if it’s at the detriment of others right now.

That’s not even dissing Ye but it’s keeping it G publically about someone he clearly admires.

If you listen to chance in that interview, on one hand he said his parents didn't go to college and he acted like he didn't grow up well, but earlier he talked about his dad working with the mayor and Obama. Then I think at another point he caught how negative he was being towards his parents and he said I don't want to make it seem like I'm ****ting on my parents. There was a lot of contradiction there. He will say what that specific "audience" wants to hear or what he thinks they want to hear. The interview was just so long that he went in and out of programmed responses. It's like hearing a Russell Wilson interview. Son is the worst.

This is EXACTLY what I thought that interview would be. :lol:

Magic33 Magic33 he did answer the Kanye question tho. He straight up said Kanye is just trying to have a bigger blip on the timeline in 300 years, he believes Ye selfishly will say and do things that attract media attention even if it’s at the detriment of others right now.

That’s not even dissing Ye but it’s keeping it G publically about someone he clearly admires.

That's not an answer :lol:

He side stepped it without saying anything really negative about it. He will say something about Rahm Emanuel, but you will give a nice diss to someone who supports Donald Trump.

Last edited:
Remy can’t call Joe P anymore. She was dancing around calling Wayne’s album trash, not lyrical but she wouldn’t say it.

And now they all following Remy and giving it a low rating but saying it’s great and blah blah

And yo that clip they showed of Kanye asking the man to move so he can channel energy from the broad is ****in scary.

Wayne gettin alot of sympathy love from people. I been hearing and seeing a lot of "well it's not THAT bad" 'Well it's good to hear from him" "Well theres moments..."

**** outta here :lol:

Yo so I caught remy and papoose show
Is the other kid they got slow
Or is he gay
Not that there’s anything wrong with that
Whose kid is it remy or papoose

Yo so I caught remy and papoose show
Is the other kid they got slow
Or is he gay
Not that there’s anything wrong with that
Whose kid is it remy or papoose

Yeah he gotta be gay, that’s Pap’s kid.

Show was good tho, I liked it. It’s a good look for the hip hop community.

State of the culture getting better

Joe's intros getting less corny but that prerecorded **** has to go

Scottie Beam is pretty much irrelevant to the show

Yeah Scottie gotta go, she would be better in a role where she's a moderator and just reads the topics and is quiet after that. Three would be a better number, too many people trying to talk and not enough time.

Joe's Intro on state of the culture is so corny it's funny. :lol:

It's like a parody of real talk shows.

They only gave Dave and Styles like 10 mins. You can tell they edited and cut their interview short. Shoulda brought them out with 20 mins left.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom