The Combat Jack Show Thread

We gotta define culture vulture tho. If you’re of the culture, doesn’t it then make it more difficult to be a vulture?

I think more about guys like Lyor, Post Malone and Tekashi 69 when I think of vultures. Dudes that only **** with hip hop as a means of making money and getting poppin, they frequently do **** that’s harmful to the culture or other people within hip hop, and they generally lack a certain respect for the history of hip hop and the people within it. Basically outsiders that probably wouldn’t be involved with hip hop at all if not for the prospect of getting money and fame.

I don’t know if the young mumble rappers are vultures or if they’re moreso just doing the goofy **** they grew up watching.

To me it's anybody that doesn't respect/love/know hip hop. Now of course the white folks will catch it harder because they have a long history of stealing from people of culture but it's a good amount of these new rappers that listening to them you can tell they just in it cuz the bar for talent is low now and they can make bread. Like when Budden interrogated Yachty. Yeah his approach was off but he was asking simple questions. I can tell somebody like G-Herbo grew up loving hip hop and he respects it.

Like whenever I see one of these dudes using Pac or Biggies name for attention first thing I think is that's vulture type behavior. I don't ride around listening to KRS One or Run DMC's music because it's dated to me but I'm not gonna say they're overrated because I know what they've done for Hip Hop, the work they've put in to make hip hop what it is today.

Yeah it's kinda crazy how much dudes talk **** about "old rappers". I know dudes will make the false equivalency that it happened in prior generations too, but nah it wasn't really like that till the soulja boy era.

Last edited:
and in 1980's everyone thought rap was still a fad and not going to last. There was no culture to rob. He could have stayed in rock, there was more money in it.

Jim Jones has said the same about Dame. Beans also. So is he a vulture?

Baby has robbed everyone, who is calling him a culture vulture?

again i'm taking this directly from Lyor, but he literally started doing the Run DMC thing because it was the most money he had made up until that point, so while hiphop as a whole wasn't extremely lucrative... according to him at that point in his life it was the most lucrative thing he came across.

Also Dame Asked the same question himself about why Lyor wouldn't stay in rock & roll & his own culture, and his guess was because they wouldn't respect Lyor over there because he hadn't proven anything or put in the work. Where as in hiphop we've been conditioned to think that these people from other cultures are somehow smarter than us or that we need them to succeed.

and as far as Baby & Dame, you could could say they have bad business principles..... but we're talking about two dudes who grew up in the drug game of the 1980's this is their culture. From the music they were listening too, clubs they were attending, fashion, slang etc etc hiphop culture was something embedded in them whether they made money off it or not.

I'm not willing to bet that would be the case for Lyor based off what he has shown.

Also despite the disagreements that Dame has had with people there's been WAY too many public instances where dame is actually passing on knowledge or helping people from his culture get on & build their business. Dame has always been very open in trying to pass info and others becoming their own bosses & he had that same attitude in calling out vultures when he was on top of the world also.

It's documented and on screen

Culture Vulture to me is anybody who's primary objective is to make money at the expense of the public within the culture.

Like whenever I see one of these dudes using Pac or Biggies name for attention first thing I think is that's vulture type behavior. I don't ride around listening to KRS One or Run DMC's music because it's dated to me but I'm not gonna say they're overrated because I know what they've done for Hip Hop, the work they've put in to make hip hop what it is today.

Most of the young cats speaking on the OGs were coerced into those conversations specifically to create a moment. Now I don't really care of put any weight on these kids opinion on the older artists because they really aren't supposed to. They didn't grow up during those guys peaks so I don't expect them to be fans or understand their impact.

Yeah it's kinda crazy how much dudes talk **** about "old rappers". I know dudes will make the false equivalency that it happened in prior generations too, but nah it wasn't really like that the soulja boy era.

There's definitely an equivalency there but young dudes are often very reactionary and older dudes within their desire to help and educate often speak without thinking how it will be received. Budden v Yachty is a good example. Even if Budden and Yachty were the same age, how many people are going to be receptive of a person screaming information at them?

How was it back in the Soulja Boy era? Ice T and Soulja Boy had their own tiff so....

Culture Vulture to me is anybody who's primary objective is to make money at the expense of the public within the culture.

Most of the young cats speaking on the OGs were coerced into those conversations specifically to create a moment. Now I don't really care of put any weight on these kids opinion on the older artists because they really aren't supposed to. They didn't grow up during those guys peaks so I don't expect them to be fans or understand their impact.

There's definitely an equivalency there but young dudes are often very reactionary and older dudes within their desire to help and educate often speak without thinking how it will be received. Budden v Yachty is a good example. Even if Budden and Yachty were the same age, how many people are going to be receptive of a person screaming information at them?

How was it back in the Soulja Boy era? Ice T and Soulja Boy had their own tiff so....

You can understand somebody's impact w/o being a fan. That's why I used the Run DMC example. They came out years before I was born. It ain't hard to do research. They just don't respect the culture enough to do the research. They just care about what's currently trendy. I bought a NBA encyclopedia when I was 13 and studied that joint cuz I loved basketball. I used to borrow CD's of older music from older relatives because I loved hip hop and R&B. All you need now is wifi to do research. :lol: and dudes still don't know **** bout ****.

You can understand somebody's impact w/o being a fan. That's why I used the Run DMC example. They came out years before I was born. It ain't hard to do research. They just don't respect the culture enough to do the research. They just care about what's currently trendy. I bought a NBA encyclopedia when I was 13 and studied that joint cuz I loved basketball. I used to borrow CD's of older music from older relatives because I loved hip hop and R&B. All you need now is wifi to do research. :lol: and dudes still don't know **** bout ****.

I guess that's where I differ from a lot of people, I don't think the research matters and I don't think I'd feel slighted if somebody didn't know I was an important part of a movement that started decades before a 16 year old kid was born.

There are few things that I've shown interest in as a child that I actually researched. I think it's because I've always been a quick learner so I never seen it as necessary and got on by instinct or what was taught/seen when it came to sports

I don't know how you can you can be fan of anything, sports or music and not do some type research on it.

Last edited:
I think there's levels to fandom.
I'm a casual fan until I feel the urge to understand more about it.

Lyor isn't a Culture Vulture because of the time that he has put in. But he moves and talks like a Culture Vulture.

it’s only a matter of time before dame start saying how crazy joe sound

it contradicts everything joe talks about with the whole creatives and independent spiel

Parks said hip hop was it's most independent in the 80's :rofl:

It was, because white execs didn't know or care enough about it to police it and dictate what was being put out.

21 Savage just apologized for a Jewish Money line. :lol: Meanwhile they had no clue they were being called devils.

CTG sitting on Joe’s couch with his shoes on his driving me ****in crazy

CTG riding hard for Miguel, reminds me of a blinkin a blinkin . I don’t agree with him saying Miguel gets overlooked cause he’s half Mexican. Nah, he gets overlooked cause he drops good singles and bad albums.

Back
Top Bottom