The Combat Jack Show Thread

I am SICK & tired of ****** acting as if this is the early 90's & some imaginary gatekeepers are holding back "southern representation" in hiphop :lol: :lol: . ****** have all of outlets imaginable to do just that, Charlamagne has been at the forefront of hiphop media for damn near a decade now & proudly reps the south.

I'm really not getting the critique :lol:

****** love crying.

cry to them bum *** ****** y’all been putting on a pedestal for 10+ years on why no powerhouse labels or media exist in Atlanta

I am SICK & tired of ****** acting as if this is the early 90's & some imaginary gatekeepers are holding back "southern representation" in hiphop :lol: :lol: . ****** have all of outlets imaginable to do just that, Charlamagne has been at the forefront of hiphop media for damn near a decade now & proudly reps the south.

I'm really not getting the critique :lol:

its infrastructure tho. Call it what you want...but those are established bases within the culture...that people gotta touch. That’s why, you got artist going on NYC “press runs” etc. The market, population, history etc is important...and it is a thing. Take your bias out for a min.

Lil Baby recent interview run showed this. He was talking about how he had to make this lil run up nyc real quick. It makes sense. It’s starting to shift...but things don’t happen overnight.

For the longest...NYC media was the one putting out the takes on hip hop music, because they’re naturally the Origin and have the oldest acts and loudest/respected voices. It’s starting to shift now, with the south being the new Mecca. Particularly atl.B High & 107.9 starting to gain real estate. Big Facts podcast etc. When I seen Benny go on here...I started seeing the shift.

There most def was a void for southern representation on this level. It’s how a term like mumble rap...can take hold...when it originated on hot 97...and perceptions forms. Y’all gotta stop being defensive on this man :lol:.

Step back a lil...and look at it from an outside perspective and macro view.

its infrastructure tho. Call it what you want...but those are established bases within the culture...that people gotta touch. That’s why, you got artist going on NYC “press runs” etc. The market, population, history etc is important...and it is a thing. Take your bias out for a min.

Lil Baby recent interview run showed this. He was talking about how he had to make this lil run up nyc real quick. It makes sense. It’s starting to shift...but things don’t happen overnight.

For the longest...NYC media was the one putting out the takes on hip hop music, because they’re naturally the Origin and have the oldest acts and loudest/respected voices. It’s starting to shift now, with the south being the new Mecca. Particularly atl.B High & 107.9 starting to gain real estate. Big Facts podcast etc. When I seen Benny go on here...I started seeing the shift.

There most def was a void for southern representation on this level. It’s how a term like mumble rap...can take hold...when it originated on hot 97...and perceptions forms. Y’all gotta stop being defensive on this man :lol:.

This would be Valid if this was 2005 & not 2020, Of course artist have to make stops in NYC, the same way most artist make stops in every major city :lol: , artist have Been making ATL stops, Miami Stops, Chicago, L.A etc etc for a long time now. Location is a small factor in what draws in & keeps an audience in media these days.

We've seen to many other forms of media take off from literally everywhere with youtube, podcast, twitch, IG, Snapchat etc etc.... Your content matters, that's the draw. ATL in 2020 isn't lacking Anything. You can't in one sentence call it the new "mecca" & in the same post say they lack infrastructure :lol:, Plenty of Money in ATL, plenty of Studios in ATL, Plenty of business in ATL.

Charlemagne has been one of the top guys in hiphop media for awhile if not THE guy & i'm still hearing about how there isn't "southern representation" .

For AT LEAST a decade i've been hearing how NYC is a bubble & just because things are on fire up here, it doesn't mean it's influencing all the other regions. Now when it comes to media it's because of the power of NYC? how that work

Ya'll pick & choose when Ya'll want to insert the relevance of NYC in this culture, There's nothing stopping anyone from drawing the interest Joe get's for his opinions.... that ain't got **** to do with regions & all to do with talent.

The south’s chance of being the Mecca came and went already

If that was the case it would’ve happened already

The same thing that helped it reach its mainstream plateau is the same thing that has made it super stagnant.

The internet.

This been a problem in the South since LA came in and swooped up all the talent in the late 90’s and then everyone except OutKast was lost when he left. There should have been more labels and media outlets in Atlanta. Tyler Perry **** could be a start if he added a radio/press component.

It is kinda the fault of the JD’s, Rico Wades, OutKasts, TIPs, Ludas though. To not have something set up 20 years later.

This been a problem in the South since LA came in and swooped up all the talent in the late 90’s and then everyone except OutKast was lost when he left. There should have been more labels and media outlets in Atlanta. Tyler Perry **** could be a start if he added a radio/press component.

It is kinda the fault of the JD’s, Rico Wades, OutKasts, TIPs, Ludas though. To not have something set up 20 years later.
You can’t say it was there fault. They are a product of the era they came up in.

NYC is one of the biggest cities in the world, so that never really gonna change, but that has no impact on the south SPECIFICALLY ATL from being able to establish a voice just as popular. Joe got this following because he's one of the few who's not worried about relationships (to a certain extent) & just says what he feels.

there's nothing stopping a personality from down there doing the same.

Somebody can def do the same but we can’t act like Joe came up purely from hip hop commentary

Joe got a big female following and that **** did not come from tweeting about hip hop :lol: , moreso tweeting relationship advice, “why men cheat” etc. A lot of Love and Hip Hop tier **** plus being w Tahiry. He just parlayed it. That was his early brand on twitter, the relationship guru _ that pulled bad ****

Really a perfect storm of timing and climate

And Joe is both likable and unlikable enough for people to be engaged.

And it helped he was never dependent on interviews. That's why Nore and Rap Radar got stale, you're only as good as your guest. They stormed through the best guest fairly early and Nore put himself in a box not doing younger artist.

****** love crying.

cry to them bum *** ****** y’all been putting on a pedestal for 10+ years on why no powerhouse labels or media exist in Atlanta

I think this way easier said than done bro

Houston was really “Atlanta” before Atlanta and it was the same thing

It’s just like in the film industry right now. A lot of films are being shot outside of Hollywood, in places like Georgia, Oklahoma etc now cause it’s cheaper w the tax credits

But guess where that stuff go to get edited and finished? Right back to LA cause that’s where all the execs, studios and infrastructure reside

Last edited:

Who are they important too?

I see Big Boy. I see Sway. I never see a B High. Who does he interview? Do they listen to the radio?

and you act like Benny is Drake. Benny is very accessible and open to interviews, because he's still relatively new artist to most and isn't mainstream.

This would be Valid if this was 2005 & not 2020, Of course artist have to make stops in NYC, the same way most artist make stops in every major city :lol: , artist have Been making ATL stops, Miami Stops, Chicago, L.A etc etc for a long time now. Location is a small factor in what draws in & keeps an audience in media these days.

We've seen to many other forms of media take off from literally everywhere with youtube, podcast, twitch, IG, Snapchat etc etc.... Your content matters, that's the draw. ATL in 2020 isn't lacking Anything. You can't in one sentence call it the new "mecca" & in the same post say they lack infrastructure :lol:, Plenty of Money in ATL, plenty of Studios in ATL, Plenty of business in ATL.

Charlemagne has been one of the top guys in hiphop media for awhile if not THE guy & i'm still hearing about how there isn't "southern representation" .

For AT LEAST a decade i've been hearing how NYC is a bubble & just because things are on fire up here, it doesn't mean it's influencing all the other regions. Now when it comes to media it's because of the power of NYC? how that work

Ya'll pick & choose when Ya'll want to insert the relevance of NYC in this culture, There's nothing stopping anyone from drawing the interest Joe get's for his opinions.... that ain't got **** to do with regions & all to do with talent.

Dudes need to stop making excuses in 2020.

Ak made a name for hisself from his mommas basement.

Dudes need to stop making excuses in 2020.

Ak made a name for hisself from his mommas basement.

This is true, but we also gotta mention AK made a name for himself parodying and piecing together gang violence for nerds to live vicariously through

AK and Joe got one key thing in common, they didn’t just start a pure hip hop commentary platform and start going up from there :lol:

They got notoriety for other **** they was doing online and parlayed it

The strategy is def replicable but it’s not how y’all painting it

Who are they important too?

I see Big Boy. I see Sway. I never see a B High. Who does he interview? Do they listen to the radio?

and you act like Benny is Drake. Benny is very accessible and open to interviews, because he's still relatively new artist to most and isn't mainstream.

That’s not the point I’m making :lol:.

Y’all not understanding business, infrastructure, history and relationships. Most of the labels are in nyc. And by extension....have relationships with the stations and media. The topic was the south not having representation with the thought makers in the history etc. Up until recently...it was that way.

They’re starting to now. I pointed out B High...because in the last year or two, he’s began flooding the internet with interviews on YouTube...and they are gaining steam. Not only that...ALOT of the major artist and bubbling ones are going there. A lot of the industry now lives in ATL. And a lot of the production is down there too. So he’s building a sort of breakfast club/hot 97 type of thing down there. I’d say, things have been shifting in the past couple years. It’s why birthday bash, is more popping than summer jam or something now. XXL was still relevant up until 2015. It’s not as much anymore. I’d say in the last couple years...the shift is starting, and the voice representation etc is become better across the board due to social media. But there’s still **** that matters and lingers.

Idk why y’all being defensive about it :lol:. It’s true. It ain’t excuses. If you just follow the trajectory of the history of hip hop...and where it’s going, you’ll see it.

Y’all mention Joe, Akademiks etc. Where they really became thought leaders and took off more...was when they went to an infrastructure. complex...in nyc. Wayno...Nadeska etc are from that region. I heard Wayno himself talk about it it. He’s, one of the ones that better understands it....and from hearing him speak...he’s for sure opened up about perception and understanding the regional differences and connecting it. Wayno “gets it”. Joe Budden is starting to “get it”....but that’s because he’s relationship building now....and has to touch those guys.

Why is it their fault? Most of the people you named are not into hip hop media. Tip has a podcast. Luda is doing movies and other stuff. Rico Wade rarely speaks so he ain't doing no media type of thing. Andre don't care about spotlight or media period. Big Boi still doing music and got kids.

I agree with NY dudes on this, nothing is stopping a southern Wallo or queensflip. You need connections sure but it ain't impossible to do in this day and age.

Actually loving those producer/writer battles but haven't really listened because of the audio quality. Never liked those prison collect call raps.

We're now gonna give credit to Complex for Joe & AK having a "voice" in hiphop ? We're talking industry dealings & connections when it comes to AKadmks????

Whenthe entire reason his platform popped off was because it was anti industry?? the ***** is basically a hermit & unfortunately his voice was heard in hiphop way before Complex.

Complex didn't add any validity to those two names at all, they did the smart thing partnering up with each other and multiplying the travel of their voices based off their two fanbases crossing. That show would have popped whether it was filmed in NYC or ATL.

I can't believe we're having a discussion about Business, networking, & opportunities inATL in 2020 :lol:. Based off the countless discussions we've had in here about the state of hiphop culture in NYC over the years & how some posters talked about that same NYC infrastructure in a very negative light..... It is absolutely hilarious to me that now suddenly that same infrastructure is being talked about like it's a giant advantage because NYC/Tri State media personalities are still on fire

We're now gonna give credit to Complex for Joe & AK having a "voice" in hiphop ? We're talking industry dealings & connections when it comes to AKadmks????

Whenthe entire reason his platform popped off was because it was anti industry?? the ***** is basically a hermit & unfortunately his voice was heard in hiphop way before Complex.

Complex didn't add any validity to those two names at all, they did the smart thing partnering up with each other and multiplying the travel of their voices based off their two fanbases crossing. That show would have popped whether it was filmed in NYC or ATL.

I can't believe we're having a discussion about Business, networking, & opportunities inATL in 2020 :lol:. Based off the countless discussions we've had in here about the state of hiphop culture in NYC over the years & how some posters talked about that same NYC infrastructure in a very negative light..... It is absolutely hilarious to me that now suddenly that same infrastructure is being talked about like it's a giant advantage because NYC/Tri State media personalities are still on fire

All that musical talent in Atlanta and the ones wavycrocket wavycrocket thinks are talented, and they can't get a podcast or interview show away from the radio?

It takes more than location, it takes personality, hustle and also perseverance.

Combat Jack wasn't even using his lawyer past at first and was getting interviews in a hole in the wall sweat box.

Since I've been on my SubZero ****, trying to remember the Loon vs Mase and Jimmy beefs Dudes like Freeze, French and Fendi used to just run up dudes for DVD content. They didn't start up under people. They didn't use anybody else. They got it from the mud.

Chicago had ZackTV(RIP) and he was doing Chicago and New York.

Dudes need to stop making excuses and get their hustle on.

The only issue is this ain't the early 2000's, and a lot of Atlanta and down south artist have problems with each other, so they might want to stay away from the beef aspect.

All that musical talent in Atlanta and the ones wavycrocket wavycrocket thinks are talented, and they can't get a podcast or interview show away from the radio?

It takes more than location, it takes personality, hustle and also perseverance.

Combat Jack wasn't even using his lawyer past at first and was getting interviews in a hole in the wall sweat box.

Since I've been on my SubZero ****, trying to remember the Loon vs Mase and Jimmy beefs Dudes like Freeze, French and Fendi used to just run up dudes for DVD content. They didn't start up under people. They didn't use anybody else. They got it from the mud.

Chicago had ZackTV(RIP) and he was doing Chicago and New York.

Dudes need to stop making excuses and get their hustle on.

The only issue is this ain't the early 2000's, and a lot of Atlanta and down south artist have problems with each other, so they might want to stay away from the beef aspect.

We are talking about two, entirely different things. So I’ll see myself out of this convo :lol:.

You’re still not getting what I’m saying.

Back
Top Bottom