The Combat Jack Show Thread

I thought Joe talking about what he was trying to do was interestingl. Him trying to start a podcast network. A lot of people have been talking about people getting paid for podcast. I commend him for staying his path. I'm sure a lot of people are going to try and follow.

I'm not sure what Ak is trying to do. I don't think he wanted to be under Joe, but it would have been a smarter move.

And Complex continues to **** up. I don't know why they don't have Every Day Struggle as a daily pod anyway. Just like Rich left Full Size Run, and now they're trying to bring it back with Trinidad. And I'm not sure what's up with Nore's eating show. Does anyone watch? Is it even on YouTube?

Combat really was a visionary investing into the podcast game early especially going in & focusing on specifically hiphop culture... because that dictates pop culture right now, & having all those voices under one roof was genius.

Hell i rarely listen to the flagrant 2 pod, but they just signed a deal with CBS to do some TV work i think? Podcasting is really expanding & allowing people to simultaneously plug all their different hustles at once

Joe and Charlamagne's passive-aggressive relationship should make 100% sense to everyone now.

Charlamagne DID in fact view him as competition and that was indeed the fuel behind his criticism of ES and the podcast. ****** thought it was crazy that the guy on the big time network would view the soundcloud/youtube guy as competition. But here we are...they called this ***** the "Howard Stern of Hip-Hop". Think about that.

Joe played the corporate politic game right which enabled them to still connect for joint projects. There's a mutual respect there, but still competitive.

Ctg definitely views Magic as competition. Ctg has been saying he wants to be the Hip Hop equivalent of Howard Stern for years. The NYT giving that title to Joe has to have son in his feelings. :lol:

Listening to the pod and hearing them detail the journey definitely made me respek them a bit more. To turn away the minor ads and instead focus on the bigger picture is commendable. I can appreciate it when people play the long game and come out on top.

Still shouldn’t have changed the name from I’ll Name This Podcast Later imo :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, I liked the old name, but that name has turned him in to a brand. That was probably a "corporate" decision. Well to become corporate.

I wonder if when Rory quit his job at first was it because of them thinking they had a deal.

Anyone see Rosenberg's tweet. Dude was mad as hell his name wasn't mentioned and Joe was able to secure a bag. Hey remember me. :rofl:

I thought it was funny how Nicki said no at first. I wonder if she heard about the Spotify deal or she was just trying to promote the album. She did a lot more promo than she normally does for the album. The news of everything allowed Joe to skip over the Nicki shenanigans over the past week.

Mal with the shot at Chatty :lol:

I like the Spotify deal, I'm glad they didn't go with Revolt. Revolt IMO hurt Nore's show.

Joe and Charlamagne's passive-aggressive relationship should make 100% sense to everyone now.

Charlamagne DID in fact view him as competition and that was indeed the fuel behind his criticism of ES and the podcast. *****s thought it was crazy that the guy on the big time network would view the soundcloud/youtube guy as competition. But here we are...they called this ***** the "Howard Stern of Hip-Hop". Think about that.

Joe played the corporate politic game right which enabled them to still connect for joint projects. There's a mutual respect there, but still competitive.

I used to debate that from the beginning. ES used to get a few hundred thousand views a day. His pod gets over a million listens. Different formats, but still competition, because there's only so many hours a day. It's like Charlamagne tried to take down Joe at first, and then Ak. Charlamagne knew they had a good thing by combining different generations.

The Nicki and Meek situation really put them on another level. And then people like Kevin Hart mentioning him. Him trolling Drake. Oh and Tax. That was a win for both.

Combat really was a visionary investing into the podcast game early especially going in & focusing on specifically hiphop culture... because that dictates pop culture right now, & having all those voices under one roof was genius.

Hell i rarely listen to the flagrant 2 pod, but they just signed a deal with CBS to do some TV work i think? Podcasting is really expanding & allowing people to simultaneously plug all their different hustles at once

In addition to his Chris Lighty pod that he did with Gimlet/Spotify. Tax has to be :smh:

Podcasting is like how blogs were compared to sports. When sports blogs first started sites(ESPN, Sporting News, SI...) looked down at them. Then they had to start becoming more like them or invest in them. Sports blogs became mainstream and changed the way sports is covered. Bill Simmons became mainstream. Radio looked down on podcasting and I think companies are still learning to how to properly advertise on it.

I think once again a lot of people are going to try to get in to podcasting not realizing the work involved. Consistency is the key, because the ones who do it weekly are able to develop a following.

Facts. Love or hate Joe Rory or Mal, they’re one of the, if not the, most consistent podcasts out there. That says a lot. Especially since some weeks have gone by where there really hasn’t been much to cover. The quality doesn’t tend to be sacrificed, nor does the quantity. A lot of podcasts that I started out with have lost their momentum over the years because it seems as though they sacrificed either or the other. TBI suffers when you have these two guys actually arguing and going away from their previous methods of just conversing about things they have different opinions on. First you had Andrew who goes to any length just to present a contrary opinion, to the point where he misses the mark and begins to look as though he empathizes with alt right rhetoric. Then you got this dude CTG talking all that “live your truth” stuff, only to get extremely tight lipped when there’s a different story being told about his past actions. Those things adding to the fact that they tend to do episodes without one another has definitely impacted their listenership. The Bodega Boys... damn man. I don’t have it on me to speak bad about my guys... but the pod ain’t the same. :smh:

I’ll subscribe to Spotify to support the move for Joe Rory and Mal. Crazy thing is I never listened to INTPL when they had Marissa on the panel. Would’ve never guessed I’d be following this show across platforms. :lol:

And Tax gets the lifetime award for playing himself. That ***** brought a lot of attention to podcasts. He should be at the helm of people eating off podcasts receiving major corporate deals. From what I’ve followed in his case, I don’t see him getting anything less than 10, and that’s being optimistic with my thinking. :smh:

Last edited:
BET would have been smart to take someone like Charlamagne, Joe or Bodega Boys but they're BET. They're reactionary and not forward thinking.

Ctg definitely views Magic as competition. Ctg has been saying he wants to be the Hip Hop equivalent of Howard Stern for years. The NYT giving that title to Joe has to have son in his feelings. :lol:

Listening to the pod and hearing them detail the journey definitely made me respek them a bit more. To turn away the minor ads and instead focus on the bigger picture is commendable. I can appreciate it when people play the long game and come out on top.

Still shouldn’t have changed the name from I’ll Name This Podcast Later imo :lol:

It takes more than hot takes and viral videos to be “Howard stern”

Joe has the attitude, the energy, and similar morals to fit that bill

CTG doesn’t have that vibe

BET would have been smart to take someone like Charlamagne, Joe or Bodega Boys but they're BET. They're reactionary and not forward thinking.

They Have Mouse Jones (from the Charlemagne/Tax family tree).. He’s An Associate Of Mine. BET Is Giving Him More & More Green Lights. He Has Potential To Become A Major Player In The Game Cause He Spreads Himself Thin While Mostly Staying True To The Honesty & Humor That Got Him In The Game.

Tax Is Who Got Me To Consume Podcasts In Their Current Incarnation, But I See Him Like A Mike Epps. He Would Be Just As Funny As He Always Has, But He Didn’t Have The Business Acumen To Really Move Around Like A Chris Rock Or Kevin Hart. Tax’s Antics Would’ve Eventually Wore Thin. He Built His Brand On Being The “Bad Guy”, And Those Types Don’t Last Long, Be It In Prison, The Streets Or Now Podcasts. Boskoe Is Providing Great Content In That Vein In His Kitchen, No CoSigns Or Big Name Guests.. I Feel Like With The Right Tutelage He Can Jump Right In That ‘Tax Season’ Lane And Build A Niche For Himself. The Podcast World Is Void Of Many Voices That Aren’t In/From The NYC Area..

Will Podcasting Become NYC New Way Of Thumbing It’s Nose At Other Regions? In All Honesty We’re The Funny Guys In The Barbershop NOT Gettin A Haircut. Who Ever Is Able To Find The Next Engaging Personality From An Atlanta, New Oreleans, Chicago, Detroit, or LA Is Gonna Be The One Who Truly Wins. Hopefully It’s Joe, But Maybe It’s Better For The Field To Stay Wide Open Another 3-5 Years To See Who Sticks With It Without The Potential Of A Bag.

A Lot Of People Don’t Truly LOVE Creating Content, They Love The Popularity & Attention It Brings. They Want To Eat The Fruit Of The Cultural Tree But Provide No Water Or Nourishment. Salute To Joe On His Newest Deal, You Can Tell His Heart Is Truly In This I’m Still Unsure About Rory & Mal’s Dedication To Creating Actual Content And Not Just Being Plus 1’s (respectfully)..

Last edited:
I’ll subscribe to Spotify to support the move for Joe Rory and Mal. Crazy thing is I never listened to INTPL when they had Marissa on the panel. Would’ve never guessed I’d be following this show across platforms. :lol:

Right. I wasn't a fan of his music so I had little to no interest in his podcast for a while. Ain't really start listening til like year ago.

Right. I wasn't a fan of his music so I had little to no interest in his podcast for a while. Ain't really start listening til like year ago.

Same I knew he could rap from his first single but I never followed his music. So many better artist and my favorite artist always treated him like a punching bag.

I've been listening to the podcast from the beginning. I don't think I missed a eposide honestly. It's always been the perfect pod even with Marissa. I wasn't a fan of Ice, I felt like he was a random Twitter celeb, or a more unpolished Mal.

Easily the best podcast out. It's crazy Nore had crazy momentum, but no longevity it seems like. I wouldn't be surprised if one day they get Hov.

Loved her thot stories tho.

I gave her pod a chance then stopped checkin in after 5 episodes.

Stopped checkin Drink Champs after they left play.it

Stopped premium pete after he kicked ol girl off.

Ill still check bodega boys. But not like i used too. All their episodes seem the same.
Stopped lipservice cuz of the repetitive sunject matter

It's gotten to the point where the akas take up 20 minutes . And they been keeping it at an hour. I'm cool on them for now. Last podcast was funny tho.

Last edited:
I’ve been sleep on the Corey Holcomb pod. What is it like?
Me too
I be wanting to
But feel like I
How when u come in in the middle of a movie
I feel like it would be like that with his podcast
But Darlene is so fine man
I swear I want a pass from my wife
So I could cheat with her
She def like fine wine
So down to earth to

remember they did that r&b list and they was suppose to continue the list I’m the next episode
But we ain’t heard **** since
That was what like episode 15 :lol:
Only input marissa had was ty dolla sign
And what’s even funnier is
How she was a ty Stan
And they made fun of her for it
Till his album dropped
Then they respected his talent
Joe did a complete 180

Back
Top Bottom