The Combat Jack Show Thread

I mean the same can be said for Sly Stone, Prince etc etc.... they too had predecessors that they took from, were influenced by & then through some of their own sauce on to create their sound. I don't think anyone is saying he "invented" that sound he helped continue to innovate it

The big difference is they wouldn't say they invented ****.

Michael Jackson wouldn't act like he invented videos and dancing. That's some **** rap fans do. Try to erase the previous generations contributions to their knowledge.

Bobby Brown didn't blow up and act like he invented new jack swing or rap and R&B. Bobby would give credit. Andre would give credit.

Rap fans quickly dismiss **** past their knowledge level and don't even attempt to learn.

You ask Ice T about gangsta rap and 6 in the morning, he'll say, I heard PSK.

But rap fans now won't even include Schooly D, hell they might not include Ice T. They'll just mention NWA, because of a movie and their popularity.

You can't talk about how history books and the way history is whitewashed, changed and erased, but then you allow it and do it in OUR music, because of your ignorance and then wallow in your ignorance and say well I was just born.

Rock fans would never do that **** with Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd. You even have black kids wearing ****ing rock shirts, which I ****in hate. It's bad enough you don't know who the **** Nirvana or Megadeath is, why the **** aren't you wearing Run DMC, Tribe, EPMD, PE...

You ask Ice T about gangsta rap and 6 in the morning, he'll say, I heard PSK.

But rap fans now won't even include Schooly D, hell they might not include Ice T. They'll just mention NWA, because of a movie and their popularity.

You can't talk about how history books and the way history is whitewashed, changed and erased, but then you allow it and do it in OUR music, because of your ignorance and then wallow in your ignorance and say well I was just born.

Rock fans would never do that **** with Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd. You even have black kids wearing ****ing rock shirts, which I ****in hate. It's bad enough you don't know who the **** Nirvana or Megadeath is, why the **** aren't you wearing Run DMC, Tribe, EPMD, PE...

I agree with parts of this for sure, but i must say some of these people are just pulling from their reference point, the person who introduced the sound to them. Someone saying that is different from claiming the person invented it.

There's plenty of albums that may have been highly regarded in the 90's that i still haven't listened too, i'm not gonna act like i've heard the entire discography of every 80's & 90's rap legend.

Now take kids born in the 2000's unless your just really into the discovery of music & history behind it, your definitely not cycling through countless genre's of music to know these things. Hell it's damn near impossible to keep up with all the different projects in today's era if we're keeping it a buck.

I agree and disagree, because of streaming and google. You don't have to go a record store or a library. It's a lot easier to have a general knowledge and understanding of what you're listening to and what came before you. You can just stream. I watch the Rick James doc, I can just go to Apple or YouTube. I see Respect, I can go to Apple Music.

I'm curious about the music that became before me

It's more convenient but there's so much music being produced plus so much other stuff going on there's not much time to actually take in music or tv shows/movies before the next thing drops.

People especially young people pickup on what's around them...family, friends then radio/social media etc. That's why streams go up when when artists do Versuz for some it's their introduction to the Lox etc.

Your music curiosity probably began with your mom, pops, uncles, aunts or cousins etc putting you on to different music directly or indirectly by simply playing it around you. Then you took it and ran with it.

Now a lot of people from different regions and across age groups are listening to the same music. Before there was different music playing based on who you were around and where you were at. So there's a lot less seeds being planted to discover different music or go back find older music

I agree and disagree, because of streaming and google. You don't have to go a record store or a library. It's a lot easier to have a general knowledge and understanding of what you're listening to and what came before you. You can just stream. I watch the Rick James doc, I can just go to Apple or YouTube. I see Respect, I can go to Apple Music.

I'm curious about the music that became before me
It’s also hard to know where to even start if you wanna go back. And older heads not tryna put us on to the old ****. They just ****ting on the new music. I’m sure way more young people would be knowledgeable if older people tried to put them on.

Didn't know Sevyn had been out that long and she's 35?

Joe got the Maybach, the hate is going to be strong because he's not living in squaller so they can laugh at how he messed everything up

Of course people were wondering why he was at fashion week.

It’s also hard to know where to even start if you wanna go back. And older heads not tryna put us on to the old ****. They just ****ting on the new music. I’m sure way more young people would be knowledgeable if older people tried to put them on.

That's works both ways. People have to teach and people have to be welling to learn. It's easy as hell now to do research. A lot of times people 25 and younger really don't respect hip hop. I've talked about this many times in the main thread. If you really had a love and respect for this culture you would do the research and not just be up on 2007 and after. We had go to the store, buy the CD, read the credits to know where a sample comes. You can do google a search and in 5 seconds know who made the original song. You can go to YouTube and play any album you want. I be amazed when I see people saying "I've never heard this". Really? In 2021?. :lol:

The Grandmaster Caz Drink Champs was good

It was interesting hearing his view on things.

Also it was evident how performance meant a lot more to them.

When Caz said it was blacks and Puerto Ricans and probably some alternates, EFN had to say Cubans. Dude can't stop himself.

I have to go and see Wildstyle again, because it seemed like a documentary to me too. :lol:

Nore needs to get Fab 5 Freddy

RIP a talented brotha

What Joe said was sort of interesting. I wonder what drug addicts and people in recovery feel when situations like DMX or Michael K occur. It won't happen to me? I didn't really like his pastors sermon at the beginning, because it was a look the other way, we all make mistakes. That's what was occurring in the Catholic Church for decades.

The way I've seen it described is more like addicts have experienced the best feeling attainable in life so there's nothing that can replace it.

Not sex, not success, not family. Just a feeling, but that moment is so far above everything else, now they need it again or life is pointless.

Kinda to what ish was saying, some go looking for the fix that's killing people because that's gotta be even better than what they're already getting.

They're not even thinking after awhile. Just chasing a feeling.

I'm at the point that as much as I enjoy his am/pm records because he's really rapping, it's also the same thing sonically. Everything is formulaic.

Back
Top Bottom