****The Everything LaVar Ball Thread****

lolol @ a school dance being a problem for a rich 16 year old professional basketball player.

wouldn't put it past them to hold their own damn prom.

That's where it becomes a mixed bag to me. It's like Lavar raised his sons with nothing but tunnel vision for the NBA. I don't think any of his sons have any other goals besides that so it's not like he's being forced to do anything he doesn't want. But then again, you only get one childhood and what happens if he ever gets injured and it's all over?

Obviously, nobody knows how this will all work out and I'm not one to hate on anybody's grind, so I do hope it ends on a positive note for him. Definitely has the making of a very interesting 30 for 30 one day.

I do kinda feel you on this tho. full focus on sports from a young age has a bit of a Brian Bosworth flavor, and I really hope it doesn't work out that way.

This is a complete non-story if this is a European prospect.

Nobody gives a **** about Kristaps Porzingis or Luka Doncic's "scholastic endeavors". Them ****** are preparing for pro ball at 13/14 and actually turning pro by 16. Somewhere right now there's about 100 kids who play tennis and golf getting homeschooled for 8 hours followed by 8 hours of advanced training on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Ain't no way in hell i'ma be out here looking for links for you. Last I heard though was Skip/Shannon this morning.

It's nobody with any sense that's pumping him up like that, just trolls and dudes thirsty for hot takes

We acting like Zo wasn't just the #2 pick

This is a complete non-story if this is a European prospect.

Nobody gives a **** about Kristaps Porzingis or Luka Doncic's "scholastic endeavors". Them *****s are preparing for pro ball at 13/14 and actually turning pro by 16. Somewhere right now there's about 100 kids who play tennis and golf getting homeschooled for 8 hours followed by 8 hours of advanced training on a daily basis.

you know what, you're definitely right...for example, just about every big time soccer team in Europe has teams of teenagers just waiting to be farmed up to the World Cup...they have their own educational resources, kids have deals with Nike and all...ball is actually life.

even the NHL works differently, with a lot of kids coming out of junior leagues as opposed to colleges (even they get stipends to play, but 'nother post).

of course, leagues around the world have entirely different structures--wtf is a salary cap, for one--so American sports enterprises tend to funnel their talent down a very specific and profitable path.

I guess Lavar is saying forget the NCAA. Maybe train him for 2 years, go to DLeague or International, then become draft eligible?

I guess ditch the middle man (school) and focus on the quest of becoming a pro player?

Young artists (music) do the same.

Hopefully he is able to meet all academic requirements needed to play college ball, if they want that option.

Interesting move. We will see hows it plays out.

you know what, you're definitely right...for example, just about every big time soccer team in Europe has teams of teenagers just waiting to be farmed up to the World Cup...they have their own educational resources, kids have deals with Nike and all...ball is actually life.

even the NHL works differently, with a lot of kids coming out of junior leagues as opposed to colleges (even they get stipends to play, but 'nother post).

of course, leagues around the world have entirely different structures--wtf is a salary cap, for one--so American sports enterprises tend to funnel their talent down a very specific and profitable path.

Jalen always speaks on this and how there are so many restrictions on sporta dominated by Black Americans

Jalen always speaks on this and how there are so many restrictions on sports dominated by Black Americans

it's damn true...nobody ever talks about how baseball/soccer players (or movie stars, to draw a loose comparison) are overpaid, and their professional leagues are much less dependent on the controlled farm system and artificial wage limitations.

hell, to me somebody like LeBron James is vastly underpaid. the man is legitimately a tourist attraction...more people visit the Cavaliers than the Rock and Roll HoF on a yearly basis these days, and I'm sure that wasn't the case in the days of Mark Price.

hotel stays, bar traffic, parking, merchandise...he is an actual industry in Cleveland. how much is that ACTUALLY worth per year?

...and then there's fantasy sports, but that's enough for now.

I guess Lavar is saying forget the NCAA. Maybe train him for 2 years, go to DLeague or International, then become draft eligible?

I guess ditch the middle man (school) and focus on the quest of becoming a pro player?

Young artists (music) do the same.

Hopefully he is able to meet all academic requirements needed to play college ball, if they want that option.

Interesting move. We will see hows it plays out.

Where are you getting that he is saying "forget the NCAA". Beside the fact that he said Melo still intends to go to UCLA, being home schooled doesn't negate eligibility.

Get familiar

RJ def nice. Both him and Melo got bright futures. I truly believe Melo has top 5 pick potential if he continues maturing the way he currently is. I really don't think he's "slow" or "unatheltic".

He'll be a beast when he gets his legs up under him. I think his athleticism will catch up to his height.

:lol: that is just a disrespectful thing to say and I will never not find it funny. it's an unbleepable "shut the **** up."

Jalen always speaks on this and how there are so many restrictions on sporta dominated by Black Americans

I hadn't heard jalen speak on it but yea this is true... the age restriction rule is straight up a racism issue

Where are you getting that he is saying "forget the NCAA". Beside the fact that he said Melo still intends to go to UCLA, being home schooled doesn't negate eligibility.

I think it's more of a "writing is on the wall" situation. Lavar is bout that Neva Lost life, he'll prob blame Steve Alford for Gelo not being a lotto pick, and then talk about how melo is too good to play for free while making millions for the NCAA, while also saying he can give melo better coaching than anyone else. I think melo may play college but I think it's more likely he doesnt

Yall think the timing of this gotta do with the stuff down with NCAA ball right now or it was just the right time for the decision? ...I think its a lil bit of both, and a dude Like Lavar would rather be ahead of the curve

for me, no doubt. LaVar Ball is a meticulous strategist with a megaphone, he understands how the real game works and recognizes now as a prime opportunity.

think about it, there was no other time this was possible. between factors like social media exposure and decentralized custom manufacturing...independent marketing resources, a 24 hour media cycle that loves loud noises...all essential ingredients to the formula that have only recently risen to prominence.

now throw in unprecedented instability in the NCAA system (which coaches and ADs need fired? whose recruiting class is getting zapped? who's getting the death penalty?) because the FBI finally stopped playing dumb...it's the perfect storm.

if the kids can follow up with the hardwood part of the equation, the implications could be absolutely enormous.

Back
Top Bottom