The Fishing Thread, ANY ANGLERS ON NT ?!

20200705_163004.jpg

Season opened last week in wa state. We ate (pun intended)
Any good recipes with whole dungeness???

Boiling crab in sea water is legit. I bring a 5 gallon bucket back of sea water for the boil.

My coworker got me into fishing about 3 months ago. I am hooked, pun intended.

So far I've caught loads of rockfish, crabs with crabpots and about 10 halibuts.

Next up, Salmon.

Here are our limits from today. On the water by 7 AM. Limits by 10 AM.
Screenshot_20200712-110455_Messages.jpg
:pimp:
rock fishing still on fire from HMB to Monterey. There is an actual structure at HMB that hold nothing but Canary, blacks, and blue rock fishes lol. Wish there are more vermilion around HMB. They are everywhere in Monterey. Saw Adam from die hard fishing in Santa Cruz last week haha

But didn't go fishing for the King Salmon at all last week since. All we did was rock fish and dig horse neck clams. The first week of July was hot for king salmon tho. everyone on my boat limit out easily

went last week. threw back a bunch. kept a few for a co-worker. had a decent sized shark roll up right in front of me (we stand in water up to our waist and drop our lines deep where it drops off).
C6EBA846-8E4D-4D52-AF02-02D3171CBA3F.jpeg

:pimp:
rock fishing still on fire from HMB to Monterey. There is an actual structure at HMB that hold nothing but Canary, blacks, and blue rock fishes lol. Wish there are more vermilion around HMB. They are everywhere in Monterey. Saw Adam from die hard fishing in Santa Cruz last week haha

But didn't go fishing for the King Salmon at all last week since. All we did was rock fish and dig horse neck clams. The first week of July was hot for king salmon tho. everyone on my boat limit out easily

I heard King Salmon is out by Pacifica now. We were going to go there today but the swells were crazy even with calm wind.

Plan B was Rock Fish. We got a Lingcod but it was too small. We also used this baby rock fish for Lingcod bait lol

20200712_073426.jpg

Crabbing season just ending in June for Northern California. I will have my pots ready for the November 1st Opener!

Crab is my favorite thing to catch outside of halibut. I usually throw back the Rock Crabs and keep the Dungeness.

Same. I honestly prefer Dungeness over king too.

Yalls lucky your size min is 5 3/4. Its 6 1/4 up north smh

I heard King Salmon is out by Pacifica now. We were going to go there today but the swells were crazy even with calm wind.

Plan B was Rock Fish. We got a Lingcod but it was too small. We also used this baby rock fish for Lingcod bait lol

20200712_073426.jpg
ling candy right there. I like to buy those big giant squid or octopus they sell at the asian stores too for those big lings
damn want to go fishing tomorrow too but no one wants to go. I don't like driving and launching our boat.

ling candy right there. I like to buy those big giant squid or octopus they sell at the asian stores too for those big lings
damn want to go fishing tomorrow too but no one wants to go. I don't like driving and launching our boat.

If I wasnt working, I would go with you lol

I am really addicted to fishing.

Sidenote. I watch a lot of diehard fishing, outdoor chef life and fisherman's life. That's awesome you meet diehard. It's crazy how they are landing big fish on a kayak.

First bait caster. Got it all set up, rain day at work so I’m gonna go try it out in a little bit. Gonna be bird nest city.

med/heavy rod and 7.2 ratio so I figure it will be a good all around and cheap place to start. Like 110 bucks for the rod and reel.

84D99ED4-B51A-4D92-9EBE-5462E98224FB.jpeg

in hawaii, people use conventional reels like the penn senator 4/0 to fish for bigger game. one of the techniques is to tie on a ring stopper and then from there, tie line to a heavy lead sinker. you cast out the lead, set your pole in a holder, and then clip on a swivel with leader and your hook/bait and slide it down the line until it stops at the ring.

anyway, when you cast, you have to know how to thumb the spool to prevent the backlash/bird nest. it’s super hard in the dark where you can’t even see when your lead hits the water and that’s when you start to thumb the spool. plus, your thumb gets pretty sore/burned from doing that.

i practiced in a big open field one day and then went on an overnight trip. my thumb got burned and i got tangled real bad 2x and then went to sleep in the car. dunno where the pole is but i used the reel for trolling and never used it for casting ever again. i’ll stick to my spinning reels 😂

Sounds like a good trip. :rofl:

I got the brake all the way up now so when I let go and the lure hits the ground it won’t backlash. Hopefully that’s enough to prevent bad ones at least. It’s not like I’m gonna be getting super long casts hopefully it prevents me from crying. :lol:

I’m just gonna go practice at this pond down the street. I’m gonna keep the frog on. I can bounce it off cars, dogs, logs and it won’t get stuck. :lol:

that Setup you weretalking about kind of sounds like a 3 way rig for catfish.

I just wanna try and learn some new techniques. All I ever do is bottom fish the river which is fun because you get big fish but it gets old at the same time.

I was iffy about it at first too. Not exactly sure what the science is behind it, but something about the salinity in the water of its natural habitat brings out more flavoring. Its more sweeter imo. Plus any microorganisms and what not will be boiled dead.

this has nothing to do with fishing but on the subject of salt water when I was cooking the bosses always said no matter what you’re boiling/blanching out enough salt in the water so it taste like the sea.

pasta, kale, crab you name it. Make the water taste like the sea with salt before.

Back
Top Bottom