*-*-*-*-The James Brown Appreciation Thread 1933-2006 *-*-*-*

Disclaimer: I really don't want this threadto turn into what mostappreciationthreads have become: YouTube videos and '
pimp.gif
'. What I'm aiming for /16ers to actually type out (is that even possible?
laugh.gif
) about how they feel and appreciate the man. You want to talk about how "x>x"? Do it. You wanna clown his mugshots and drunk interviews (Lady: "How did all this trouble begin?" JB: "Livin in Amerrrriccca!"
laugh.gif
"? Do it. You wanna talk your favorite song that samples JB? Do it. I want this thread to be like the Wu-Tang appreciation thread before it was Dipset'd (no offense). So please, refrain from just posting
pimp.gif
. I hate that $$+*.
Now the feature presentation....

james_brown.gif

So five years ago today one of the most influential musical figures of our time took his last breath, and left the physical realm. But that doesn't matter, James Brown is going to live for a looooooong time. This man went from being literally dirt poor to having his emblem on his own private jet.

5443493553_725c18a805_z.jpg

That doesn't come solely by luck. Naw, that came from working his butt off, and of course making good great music. Now he's not the greatest singer, but his voice had that 'soul'. When the band gets into to groove and he screams, I feel that along with him. Then when it comes to the music itself, no one can could compete with him in his prime. He may not have invented funk, but he mastered with his own style (the on the one backbeat, infectious bassline, and funky drum pockets) that can't be easily duplicated. Even when the person I consider to be the JB of our time (the dude in my avy) tries to emulate that JB funk, it just comes off as tired and wack. But going back to James, what also makes him so great is his live performances. I may never have seen him live, but that why we have YouTube. JB brought the house down with his dancing, and band that was always on point (doesn't hurt that they got fined if they missed a cue). His live performance legacy has left a permanent mark on good live perfomances as entertainers today try to copy Michael Jackson, who was heavily influenced by James. Then of course there's the genre he laid the foundation for that also populates 95% of this forum: Hip-Hop. The list of samples is endless, and it's a shame that he never really got paid for it. Then again if he did get paid, hip-hop would have died quickly.

Okay...I don't want to start rambling on (already feels like it), so here's to hopes that this gets more that 5 replies.

The physical embodiment of cool,swag, whatever you want to call it
Possibly the most imitated and bitten off artist ever

Which is a true testament to his greatness and his legacy

A great singer,dancer, all around entertaining 

A musical power with an undeniable impact

RIP Mr James Brown

pimp.gif

Second to none as an entertainer.
No MJ, No Prince, No Hip Hop without JB
Voice had too much soul and humanity.
His live performance is what really makes him though, man he could put on a show.
I wish all artists today had as much pride and put as much effort into their live shows.
His band might be the coldest band ever though, Funky Drummer is on damn near 30% of all Hip Hop/R&B songs.
I still say The God is the first rapper ever though.

Back
Top Bottom