The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

And no one said he's a #1.....

...that's all Yankee fans said the past few years.
It doesn't seem like we're going to get a power-hitting corner outfielder.
grin.gif

seems so.
ohwell.gif
. It'd solve a lot of question marks.Shoulda made that move for Bay a while ago

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I disagree, at least the many of the people on here & Yankees message boards I go to haven't said that.
We've desired a #1 for a while now.
Yes Wang has put up #1 numbers.... his #'s are comprabale to any #1 in baseball. Which is why some people from time to time have said that, but mostYankees fans I've heard have said he's more of a #2 or would be a perfect #2 if we could get a #1, etc etc.
Either way, doesn't matter now... we got CC AND Wang
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I disagree, at least the many of the people on here & Yankees message boards I go to haven't said that.
We've desired a #1 for a while now.
Yes Wang has put up #1 numbers.... his #'s are comprabale to any #1 in baseball. Which is why some people from time to time have said that, but most Yankees fans I've heard have said he's more of a #2 or would be a perfect #2 if we could get a #1, etc etc.
Either way, doesn't matter now... we got CC AND Wang
pimp.gif

yea i mean, in essense, he WAS our #1 for the past few years. Did we know he wasn't exactly the ace we needed? Of course, but he was our bestpitcher at times.

[h1]Marquis For Vizcaino Trade Close[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [December 30 at 4:44pm CST]

According to ESPN's Steve Phillips, the Cubs and Rockies are close to a swap of starter Jason Marquis for relieverLuis Vizcaino (saw it scroll across the screen on ESPN2). Marquis is set to earn $9.875MM in '09, while Vizcaino will make $3.5MM plus a$4MM option for 2010 with a $500K buyout.

[h1]Mets Make Offer To Lowe[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [December 30 at 7:09pm CST]

TUESDAY, 7:03PM: It looks as though the first of the Mets' offers has been issued.

According to Jack Curry of the New York Times, the Mets haveoffered Derek Lowe a 3-year deal, worth a total of $36MM. The article maintains the current notion that Derek Lowe is the Mets' firstchoice to bolster their rotation.

This offer is significantly under the 5-year, $90MM Lowe had reportedly been seeking.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[h1]Reds Sign Willy Taveras To Two-Year Deal[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 31 at 12:24am CST]

WEDNESDAY: Taveras' dealwith the Reds is worth $6.25MM over two years.

3 years for 36M is very reasonable for Lowe, if that deal goes through the Mets have had the most efficient off-season as far as I can remember....nobody hasbeen over-paid.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

3 years for 36M is very reasonable for Lowe, if that deal goes through the Mets have had the most efficient off-season as far as I can remember....nobody has been over-paid.

I gotta agree with that. I don't know where Lowe thought he was going to get $18mm a year from...

[h1]DeRosa headed to Indians[/h1]
ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 31, 2008, 1:55 PM ET

CLEVELAND -- Mark DeRosa, who had been rumored to be a part of three- and four-team scenarios in the Jake Peavy trade talks is finally headed out of Chicago -- but not in a deal for the San Diego Padres' ace.

6094.jpg

DeRosa

DeRosa has been traded to the Cleveland Indians for three players.

The Indians sent minor league pitchers Jeff Stevens, Chris Archer and John Caub to Chicago in the trade.

The 33-year-old DeRosa may slide into Cleveland's opening at third base.

DeRosa hit 21 home runs and drove in 87 runs for the Cubs last season, appearing in 149 games at a variety of positions.

One of the Indians' priorities during the offseason was a dependable, righty-hitting infielder. They have considered moving shortstop Jhonny Peralta to third and Asdrubal Cabrera from second to short, and DeRosa's versatility gives them even more options.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Ehh..let him play 2b, move Johnny to 3b

I'm alright with that; he had a great season. Stevens has been pretty solid ever since they moved him into the bullpen, though. I really know nothing aboutthe other two guys.

I was hoping we would trade for Chone Figgins, personally.

We finally have a versatile infielder who actually deserves to be in the major leagues.
laugh.gif

Fuentes signed with the Halos, 2 years, $17.5 million with a club option for the third year.

As opposed to Wood's 2 years, $20 million... I don't know what to think about that.

1. Joba isn't worth talking about?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
And he's not going to the pen.

Sorry, he is not worth talking about. Simply because his role is not defined yet. The Yankees insist he will be in the rotation, while every unbiasedbaseball soul saw him labor as a Starter, yet he is better suited for the 'pen.

I wouldn't doubt if if Joba ends up in the bullpen by late May- mid June. Let's start a pool.

What in the mother $#%^@*& hell are we doing?

Serious? What the *^$@?

Let Wood walk, trade for Gregg.
eyes.gif
Trade DeRosa for kids?
eyes.gif
Sign Aaron Miles?
eyes.gif
Gonna trade Marquis a innings eating starter for a middle releiver?
eyes.gif
Mess around with Milton (&^%$#@ Bradley?
eyes.gif
And say NOOOOOOO to Peavy?
indifferent.gif

God damn stupid friggin front office trying to outsmart themselves and make moves with the best team they've had in 50 years.
smh.gif

Jesus Christ these people are stupid.

Win 97 games. Sign Dempster, sign Wood, make a damn deal for Peavy by trading away nothing, move Marquis for a peice if you want, and maybe try to add a leftybat (Abreu, maybe Milt) whatever. Call it an offseason and go forward. It shouldn't be that hard.

Instead, we're rolling dice and hoping it all works out. Gotta be @*%@#%* kidding me.

Yes, I'm mad. $%^& off.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The Cubs traded away the only dude on that team with any heart

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

DeRosa is that dude

pimp.gif

Just reading the White Sox messageboard and even we're mad at the move

laugh.gif

^

Its not like we're scared of the move or afraid that Mark DeRosa is in the division. Cubs more than likely sold high

laugh.gif

I guess this is a salary dump along with the impending Marquis trade to the Rockies for Vizciano. The money saved will be used to get Milton Bradley

ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Fuentes signed with the Halos, 2 years, $17.5 million with a club option for the third year.
[h1]Angels Sign Brian Fuentes[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [December 31 at 12:46pm CST]

12:46pm: Olney has the financials: it's a two-year,$17.5MM deal. $8.5MM in '09, $9MM in '10, and a $9MM vesting option for '11 based on (55) games finished.

12:08pm: According to ESPN's Buster Olney, Brian Fuentes signed a two-year deal with the Angels. A press release from the Angels is out; there's a third-year club option. The Rockies will receive the Angels' #33 pick in the June draft, as wellas a supplemental pick.

Fuentes, 33, was excellent in 2008. He posted a 2.73 ERA and 11.78 K/9. At the outset of the offseason he was expected to get a three oreven four-year deal.

Been gone a few days, just wanna touch on a couple things...

1) Yankee fans the only ones that think their rotation is better than the Red Sox?
laugh.gif

2) The Cubs trading Mark DeRosa for crap blows my mind...
3) The fact they're trading DeRosa for crap just so they can commit a multi-year deal to Milton Bradley makes it even worse... He played DH all year inTexas, and still missed like 40 games... And they're gonna commit multiple years at $10+ mil per year to put him in right field every day...
laugh.gif
JesusChrist... Their offseason has been awful so far this year, IMO...
4) How does Kerry Wood get more money than Brian Fuentes?
5) Love the Brad Penny signing for the Sox... Those types of deals have absolutely no downside whatsoever...
6) The Reds signed Willy Taveras as a potential lead-off man...
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
Awesome...

At least the chips are starting to fall and it appears the market has essentially been set for most of these guys... It's been a boring offseason so far...

The Taveras signing doesn't bother me....we got him for cheap, and he's relatively young.

IF he can get on, steal some bases, we'll score more runs. and we're still working on getting Hairston back and, with Taveras,Hairston will fulfill the utilty role, which he's more suited for.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3802342http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3802342

With the Cubs close to finalizing another trade -- right-hander Jason Marquis to the Colorado Rockies for right-handed reliever Luis Vizcaino -- the deals are seen as a precursor to the Cubs negotiating a free-agent deal with outfielder Milton Bradley.

The Washington Nationals are believed to have offered Bradley $30 million over three years, and the Tampa Bay Rays are also in the mix, sources tell ESPN.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Milledge + Dukes + Bradley = the most gangsta outfield ever assembled! MAKE IT HAPPEN, SIGN MILTON!

Milton quietly had a monster season last yr...

Back
Top Bottom