The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

Figured Penny would have been signed yesterday, surprised its taking this long.

He's an alright pitcher but you know he'll be very good in Boston, they have the best rotation in their division (if healthy).

counting down the days until opening day...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

is it too early to start the breakout player of the year discussions? there's really no discussion though...it's already decided...breakout player ofthe year belongs to this beast:

n207803528_30862745_1628.jpg

ELIJAH "1/2 MAN 1/2 BEAST" DUKES
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Hopefully we'll see the Brad Penny from years past. They got him for 5 million for 1 year so if it doesn't work out, it doesn't kill their future.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

I hope Johnson can mentor Jonathan Sanchez. Sanchez has great stuff, it's just his inconsistency that he needs to work on.
Shouldn't this lead to a trade at some point? They've got Cain, Lincecum, and Zito locked in for the foreseeable future... They've got Madison Bumgarner and Tim Alderson on the horizon...
Yeah, if it's something the Giants have in surplus, it's pitching. A move is coming soon.

Source: Dodgers contact Dunn

Apparently, the Dodgers aren't going to sit around all winter, waiting for Manny Ramirez to beg to come back. They now have Adam Dunn on their shopping list.

The Dodgers contacted Dunn's agent, Greg Genske, over the holidays, according to an executive of a team interested in Dunn. And that creates an intriguing option for both parties.
Dunn has also drawn interest from the Cubs, Nationals, Mariners and Orioles. But adding the Dodgers to that mix gives him another contender to consider. The Cubs had believed to be his top choice before the Dodgers entered the mix. The Dodgers, meanwhile, need to infuse power into a lineup that finished 14th in the National League in home runs last season. And with no certainty that they can re-sign Ramirez, they seem to have decided that Dunn represents their best alternative. Dunn has hit exactly 40 home runs four years in a row -- which would be four more 40-homer seasons than all Dodgers hitters combined have had in those four seasons. No Dodger has reached 40 home runs since Adrian Beltre in 2004. After batting just .215, with only two homers, at Dodger Stadium in his first six seasons, Dunn has had much better success over the last two years, batting .389 (7 for 18) in L.A., with two home runs and an .833 slugging percentage, in 2007-08. Dunn also would require no draft-pick compensation because his former team, Arizona, didn't offer him arbitration.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

He's an alright pitcher but you know he'll be very good in Boston, they have the best rotation in their division (if healthy).

How do you figure? From what I saw last year he was struggling (granted he was injured). You never know with an NL pitcher moving to the AL (especially fromthe NL West out to the AL East). Not saying he was a bad pick up but I'm not going to go out and say he'll be good in Boston as yet.

I'm a huge fan of moves like that. Especially if you're a team like Boston where money isn't much of an issue.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Apparently, the Dodgers aren't going to sit around all winter, waiting for Manny Ramirez to beg to come back. They now have Adam Dunn on their shopping list.

The Dodgers contacted Dunn's agent, Greg Genske, over the holidays, according to an executive of a team interested in Dunn. And that creates an intriguing option for both parties.
Dunn has also drawn interest from the Cubs, Nationals, Mariners and Orioles. But adding the Dodgers to that mix gives him another contender to consider. The Cubs had believed to be his top choice before the Dodgers entered the mix. The Dodgers, meanwhile, need to infuse power into a lineup that finished 14th in the National League in home runs last season. And with no certainty that they can re-sign Ramirez, they seem to have decided that Dunn represents their best alternative. Dunn has hit exactly 40 home runs four years in a row -- which would be four more 40-homer seasons than all Dodgers hitters combined have had in those four seasons. No Dodger has reached 40 home runs since Adrian Beltre in 2004. After batting just .215, with only two homers, at Dodger Stadium in his first six seasons, Dunn has had much better success over the last two years, batting .389 (7 for 18) in L.A., with two home runs and an .833 slugging percentage, in 2007-08. Dunn also would require no draft-pick compensation because his former team, Arizona, didn't offer him arbitration.

i pray that the Nationals lose the Dunn sweepstakes. he hits for an atrocious average, is a strikeout machine, and is a monstrosity on defense.overall, he's a TERRIBLE baseball player.

That's a BIG if on him being healthy, he was complete trash last year and has been questioned more then one on his work ethic.

Oh and I'll take the Yankees rotation over Boston.....

CC, Wang, AJ, Pettitte, Joba
vs
Beckett, Dice-K, Lester, Wakefield, Penny

Good move on the Red Sox, mainly because it is very low risk, 1 year deal.

Penny is good when his work ethic allows it. He is also very "diva-$!$" after getting the two All Star nods. I think he will do well in Beantown.

I like this, basically Ned telling Boras to go *$!% himself,
roll.gif
. Although, I know this is a negotiating ploy and cross my fingers that Dunn doesn't become a Dodger. It is good to know that the teams inBoras' backyard (Dodgers & Angels) refuse to bend over for Scott Boras. Manny has nowhere to go (sorry JRain, the Nats are considered as"nowhere"), his best option is the Dodgers. By talking to Dunn, Boras can't use the "Well, Manny is your only option" line onColletti.

Andruw Jones, coming off a disastrous first season with the Los Angeles Dodgers, has been the subject of trade talks between L.A. and the New York Mets, according to sources.

Jones, who turns 32 next spring, hit .158 with 76 strikeouts in 209 at-bats for the Dodgers in 2008 -- just two years after he mashed 41 homers and drove in 129 runs for the Braves. There is a perception within the industry that Jones, who played the first 12 years of his career in Atlanta, was just never comfortable with the Dodgers.

5681.jpg

Jones

As part of the two-year, $36.2 million deal with L.A. signed before the 2008 season, Jones was paid $9 million last season, and he is due to make $15 million in 2009. He also received a $12.2 million signing bonus, $2.1 million of which is due in 2009 and $5 million in 2010. But presumably, the Dodgers will be willing to eat a lot of what remains on the contract to facilitate a move out of L.A. for Jones, who has 371 career homers and five seasons of 100 or more RBIs.

The Mets' intention, if they were to conclude a deal for Jones, would be to play the 10-time Gold Glove center fielder in right field, flanking Carlos Beltran. Ryan Church played most of the season in right field for the Mets last season.

New York also has been trying to move a player who has fallen out of favor -- second baseman Luis Castillo, who is coming off a poor season and is owed $18 million over the next three seasons. But it's unlikely that the Dodgers would have interest in Castillo, because they have a young second baseman in Blake DeWitt, and Castillo does not play a lot of different positions. If the Mets were to move Castillo, they would be in a position to then pursue the top free-agent second baseman, Orlando Hudson.

Earlier on Monday, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported that the Dodgers had reached out to the representatives for Adam Dunn. If L.A. were to move Jones -- and the Dodgers are highly motivated to do so, according to sources -- then a spot would open in the outfield for Dunn, if the Dodgers did not bring back Manny Ramirez.

indifferent.gif

I'll take Andruw Jones for the right price. All the Mets need is a righthanded power hitting outfielder for the next year or 2.

Originally Posted by JordanXI2001

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

is it too early to start the breakout player of the year discussions? there's really no discussion though...it's already decided...breakout player of the year belongs to this beast:

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I hear ya man Dukes has the potential but his health and his off field problems are key to his success if he keeps straight and out of trouble. My Predictionfor Dukes: .280 25 Hr 85 RBI 15 SB The Nationals need to make a move though to have a shot at coming out of the cellar chances are they will suck again butthere is always hope in baseball since there are 162 games. I heard Olney say on ESPN that the Nats are the only logical spot for Manny if the Dodgersdon't want him and with these Dunn to the Dodgers rumors I have a feeling that might happen. At least it will draw fans to the park.

nice pick up for the bosox. hopefully he works out and makes it worth the 1 yr 5 million they are spending

Originally Posted by madj55

Originally Posted by JordanXI2001

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

is it too early to start the breakout player of the year discussions? there's really no discussion though...it's already decided...breakout player of the year belongs to this beast:

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I hear ya man Dukes has the potential but his health and his off field problems are key to his success if he keeps straight and out of trouble. My Prediction for Dukes: .280 25 Hr 85 RBI 15 SB The Nationals need to make a move though to have a shot at coming out of the cellar chances are they will suck again but there is always hope in baseball since there are 162 games. I heard Olney say on ESPN that the Nats are the only logical spot for Manny if the Dodgers don't want him and with these Dunn to the Dodgers rumors I have a feeling that might happen. At least it will draw fans to the park.
that's a modest prediction for Dukes--i won't gush and go into details on my Dukes prediction, i'll just say he will make his all-stardebut in '09.

here's an excerpt from a Dukes article that prove he's capable of it:
Dukes hit a 450-foot homer that almost cleared the Shea Stadium bleachers, a blow typical of his performance since his first Nats homer on June 5. In 177 at-bats, he's hitting .322, slugging .605 with a .415 on-base percentage and 11 homers, plus 10 steals. Could he do that for a full season? You've got to prove it. But it'd be near 200 hits, 40 doubles, 38 homers, 120 RBI and 35 steals. Total superstar.
'nuff said. Dukes is the definition of a beast- he will prove it to all of the doubters.
pimp.gif

vs

I'm going to have to disagree,

Yankess 1-2 is very solid but CC hasn't done anything in the playoffs as of yet in his career, Wang has been getting some VERY SERIOUS injuries the pastfew seasons and missing a ton of time, Burnett is an overpaid average pitcher who is also injury prone, and Joba is not even proven and belongs in the pen (helabored as a starter and got hurt). Petitte aiin't even signed yet is he? Dude already has elbow issues and isn't the same pitcher.

How you would choose that staff over Beckett (when healthy), Lester, Dice-K, Penny as the 4th and Wakefield as the 5th. That is a very experienced staff thathas won championships....I don't think penny's work ethic would be in question being with a new team that WILL contend.

The Rays even have a better staff than the Yankess, overall.

i had no idead that daniel cabrera was a free agent

WASHINGTON -- Pitcher Daniel Cabrera formalized his one-year, $2.6 million contract with the Washington Nationals after passing a physical Monday.

Cabrera and the Nationals reached a preliminary agreement one week earlier, contingent upon Cabrera proving his health. The 6-foot-7 right-hander underwent MRIexams on his throwing shoulder and elbow as part of his physical.

Cabrera went on the disabled list with the Baltimore Orioles in September after experiencing pain and tingling in his right elbow during a side session.

The Orioles, who called the injury a sprained elbow, declined to offer the pitcher a contract for 2009, making him a free agent.

Cabrera went 48-59 with a 5.05 ERA in 147 games over five seasons in Baltimore. He went 12-8 as a rookie in 2004 but has had four consecutive losing seasonssince, including 8-10 with a 5.25 ERA in 30 starts this year.

this dude has some real potential. i guess jeter is safe now from that headhunter .........

vs
I'm going to have to disagree,
Yankess 1-2 is very solid but CC hasn't done anything in the playoffs as of yet in his career, Wang has been getting some VERY SERIOUS injuries the past few seasons and missing a ton of time,

First off, we'll have to agree to disagree because you're obviously a Yankee hater & I love the Yankees.

Second of all to address your statement....
Very serious?? What are you talking about.... it was 1 year, last year
laugh.gif
And he was 8-2 before he got hurt with a LOT of quality starts out of the 15

In the 2 years before last year he had the MOST wins in baseball combined in 2006/2007...... 38..... yes THE MOST.

[table][tr][td]SEASON[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]GS[/td] [td]CG[/td] [td]SHO[/td] [td]IP[/td] [td]H[/td] [td]R[/td] [td]ER[/td] [td]HR[/td] [td]BB[/td] [td]SO[/td] [td]W[/td] [td]L[/td] [td]SV[/td] [td]HLD[/td] [td]BLSV[/td] [td]ERA[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2006[/td] [td]NYY[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]218.0[/td] [td]233[/td] [td]92[/td] [td]88[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]52[/td] [td]76[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]3.63[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2007[/td] [td]NYY[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]199.1[/td] [td]199[/td] [td]84[/td] [td]82[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]59[/td] [td]104[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]--[/td] [td]3.70[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2008[/td] [td]NYY[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]95.0[/td] [td]90[/td] [td]44[/td] [td]43[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]35[/td] [td]54[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]--[/td] [td]4.07[/td] [/tr][/table]
Wang is underrated, he's nasty.
38-13 with two 3.70 or less ERA seasons?

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

I like this, basically Ned telling Boras to go *$!% himself,
roll.gif
. Although, I know this is a negotiating ploy and cross my fingers that Dunn doesn't become a Dodger. It is good to know that the teams in Boras' backyard (Dodgers & Angels) refuse to bend over for Scott Boras. Manny has nowhere to go (sorry JRain, the Nats are considered as "nowhere"), his best option is the Dodgers. By talking to Dunn, Boras can't use the "Well, Manny is your only option" line on Colletti.
Yankees will take him
happy.gif

Could just trade away Matsui and/or Nady

NOWITNESS or any one, I have a tough question....How is it looking for my Rangers this upcoming season? do you think we will be good enough to be indiscussions for a playoff spot?

The Rangers?

Chris Davis bout to set the world on fire.
pimp.gif
A young Ryan Howard, if heis able to put it all together and get some walks he will be something serious.
But for such a huge power threat .331 OBP is unacceptable.

Also they should resign Milton the market seems to have collapsed and they could probably get him for cheap. When he was healthy he hit better than anyone onthat team.

Feliz their best pitching is in AA and we might see him next year.

Originally Posted by onewearz

i had no idead that daniel cabrera was a free agent

WASHINGTON -- Pitcher Daniel Cabrera formalized his one-year, $2.6 million contract with the Washington Nationals after passing a physical Monday.

Cabrera and the Nationals reached a preliminary agreement one week earlier, contingent upon Cabrera proving his health. The 6-foot-7 right-hander underwent MRI exams on his throwing shoulder and elbow as part of his physical.

Cabrera went on the disabled list with the Baltimore Orioles in September after experiencing pain and tingling in his right elbow during a side session.

The Orioles, who called the injury a sprained elbow, declined to offer the pitcher a contract for 2009, making him a free agent.

Cabrera went 48-59 with a 5.05 ERA in 147 games over five seasons in Baltimore. He went 12-8 as a rookie in 2004 but has had four consecutive losing seasons since, including 8-10 with a 5.25 ERA in 30 starts this year.

this dude has some real potential. i guess jeter is safe now from that headhunter .........
Dude is mental. He's got decent stuff, but he doesn't have the mindset to be a consistent pitcher.

Back
Top Bottom