The Major League Baseball Offseason Post

Great thread again this year WildK.
pimp.gif

Not a lot of impact type guys in that list though. Gonna need some trades to spice things up a little. Hopefully Milton Bradley is one of those names.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Rangers don't have a shot in hell. And damn the Pads need to make a big run at one of these Japanese starters sometime, big group of Asian-Americans here in SD, Aki was HIGHLY LOVED by everyone, and the WBC always draws big crowds when the Asian teams play.
laugh.gif
Why, exactly?

The Rangers spend as much or more money bringing young talent into their farm system as anybody in baseball, especially with pitchers lately... And they'vehad some success pulling lesser-known guys out of Asia the last couple of years...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Rangers don't have a shot in hell. And damn the Pads need to make a big run at one of these Japanese starters sometime, big group of Asian-Americans here in SD, Aki was HIGHLY LOVED by everyone, and the WBC always draws big crowds when the Asian teams play.
laugh.gif
Why, exactly?

The Rangers spend as much or more money bringing young talent into their farm system as anybody in baseball, especially with pitchers lately... And they've had some success pulling lesser-known guys out of Asia the last couple of years...
The Mariners, Cubs and Dodgers are going after him, do you honestly think a team in Texas has a shot against those three?

Giants ownership has stated that they'll raise the budget this next season, but I see them going for players like, Bengie Molina, Eliezer Alfonso, CraigCounsell ,Joe Crede, Randy Winn and a bunch of other scum bags.

They'll probably claim to be players in Matt Holiday and Jason Bay, but they won't do it.

I'm waiting to be proved wrong by them.

The Mariners, Cubs and Dodgers are going after him, do you honestly think a team in Texas has a shot against those three?
That's the best you've got?
laugh.gif

Los Angeles? I won't argue that... Seattle? Meh... Chicago? After all the stuff that's gone on with Fukudome? You think he's gonna be advising kidsto come into that organization?

Like I said, Texas is competitive with the elite in terms of pumping cash into their farm system...

The Giants need to trade Aaron Rowand this off-season. It just hasn't been working for him here in SF.

I'd like to see him be traded for Milton Bradley or possibly Eric Byrnes.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

I might join you guys here tonight, I don't want to though.

laugh.gif
mad.gif
Impending Vinny Padilla Meltdown in 3... 2... 1...

You'd seriously want to downgrade your outfield defense by getting Bradley?
laugh.gif

Dude belongs in the AL.
sick.gif

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear Bradley shouldn't be playing in the NL at this point...

He sucks defensively and health is and always will be a concern... A move back to the AL would be GREAT for him...

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

I might join you guys here tonight, I don't want to though.

laugh.gif
mad.gif
Impending Vinny Padilla Meltdown in 3... 2... 1...
laugh.gif

Padilla has been solid man, but I have no confidence in the Dodgers' offense right now.

Hoping they resign him in the offseason, except not for that 10-12 million club option, which I believe he has.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

You'd seriously want to downgrade your outfield defense by getting Bradley?
laugh.gif

Dude belongs in the AL.
sick.gif
I would risk the shaky defense of Milton Bradley if he can produce for the team. If the Giants had at least a decent offense, they would'veplayed in October. They're either last or close to last in most offensive categories and with that bad of an offense they still brought out 88 wins. So, anoffensive upgrade is needed.

They Giants outfield defense already took a hit once the season ended, Randy Winn was errorless this season.
laugh.gif

That's the best you've got?
laugh.gif

Los Angeles? I won't argue that... Seattle? Meh... Chicago? After all the stuff that's gone on with Fukudome? You think he's gonna be advising kids to come into that organization?

Like I said, Texas is competitive with the elite in terms of pumping cash into their farm system...

you serious dude? Seattle is MEH?

And ok they might be competitive with putting money in the farm system but that has NO RELEVANCE when dealing with a Japanese pitcher who will get a nicecontract from the Dodgers or M's...

And ok they might be competitive with putting money in the farm system but that has NO RELEVANCE when dealing with a Japanese pitcher who will get a nice contract from the Dodgers or M's...
I don't see anything special about the Mariners... Especially with all the whispers and rumors you hear about Ichiro's issues in thatlocker room and Johjima now opting to walk away $16M and leave town...

And a team that might very well make the highest offer to the kid has no relevance?
laugh.gif
OK.

And ok they might be competitive with putting money in the farm system but that has NO RELEVANCE when dealing with a Japanese pitcher who will get a nice contract from the Dodgers or M's...
I don't see anything special about the Mariners... Especially with all the whispers and rumors you hear about Ichiro's issues in that locker room and Johjima now opting to walk away $16M and leave town...

And a team that might very well make the highest offer to the kid has no relevance?
laugh.gif
OK.
You've gotta understand that the money is not necessarily an issue with some of these guys. They aren't gonna leave their home countrywhere they are a star to go to texas just for some money...The offer from Texas will not be that much greater than LA or Seattle that he would feel the need toHAVE to go to Texas.

And the Ichiro rumors (which where are you getting that info from BTW?) may be true or false, but the fact remains that Minoru Arakawa is still in Seattle...

A quick look at the known finalists for the Indians' managerial job:
MANNY ACTA
Experience: Former Nationals manager

Hire him: His open-mindedness toward sabermetrics might mesh well with the Indians' front office, his Dominican roots allow for an easy rapport with Latin players and he could be primed to succeed after learning from his experiences with the Nats.

Stay away: Yes, the Nats were an awful ballclub, so it's best not to put too much stock into Acta's managerial record, but the team was 26-61 with Acta this season and 33-42 after he was dismissed, so they showed improvement without him.

TOREY LOVULLO
Experience: Triple-A Columbus manager

Hire him: As the Indians retool with their young talent, who better to take over that young talent than the guy who helped mold those players at the Triple-A level? Lovullo is smart, confident and a good communicator.

Stay away: Hiring Lovullo, who has no Major League coaching experience, would reek of the "same old, same old" atmosphere the Indians are trying to avoid. Fans might view him as a Wedge clone.

DON MATTINGLY
Experience: Current Dodgers hitting coach and former Yankees first baseman

Hire him: His credentials as a player would earn him instant respect with his players. He's studied under Joe Torre and is even said to be in line to be Torre's successor, if he doesn't leave first. "Donnie Baseball" has been very successful as a hitting coach.

Stay away: The Yankees didn't name him Torre's successor in 2007 for a variety of reasons, including his mild-mannered nature, what they deem to be his unpreparedness for a big-league managing job and the simple reason that they felt he was too much like Torre. If Wedge didn't appeal to fans, would the soft-spoken Mattingly have a better fate?

BOBBY VALENTINE
Experience: Current ESPN analyst, former Mets, Rangers and Chiba Lotte Marines (Japanese Pacific League) manager

Hire him: He is, by far, the most experienced of the remaining candidates, and his career managerial record in 15 big-league seasons is 1,117-1,072, including a World Series appearance with the Mets in 2000. He would bring a welcomed new opinion to an organization that has struggled with the evaluation of its own talent. And his personality might be a hit with fans.
Stay away: At this stage in his career, is Valentine a good fit for a team that figures to come out on the short side quite often next season and will be geared more toward player development? And considering he made about $4 million managing in Japan last year, is Valentine affordable for the cash-strapped Tribe?
Exciting...
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

The Giants need to trade Aaron Rowand this off-season. It just hasn't been working for him here in SF.

Done.

Where do I sign? Draw up the papers we can have this deal done by morning. I'll throw in some money, name the price, he's yours.

Thank you.

laugh.gif

I wish it was this easy. Milton be on the first thing smokin.

You've gotta understand that the money is not necessarily an issue with some of these guys. They aren't gonna leave their home country where they are a star to go to texas just for some money...The offer from Texas will not be that much greater than LA or Seattle that he would feel the need to HAVE to go to Texas.

And the Ichiro rumors (which where are you getting that info from BTW?) may be true or false, but the fact remains that Minoru Arakawa is still in Seattle...
So why did Kawakami sign in Atlanta? Why have other Asian players signed with Texas? Los Angeles or Seattle didn't want those guys?

Akinori Otsuka has spoken highly of his experience in Texas in the past... He's spoken with other Asian players on the Rangers' behalf in the past...The Rangers have other Asian kids in the system with nothing but positive feelings about their experiences in Texas and with the Rangers...

He may well sign with Los Angeles or Seattle, but summarily dismissing Texas because those two franchises are after them is ******ed. Period. Especially whenthe Rangers have been the big spenders they've been in the young pitching market the last few years...

Milton Bradley is a NUTCASE! You don't want him on your team. He's just drama and bull +%%*, kinda reminds me of T.O.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Like that wasn't the easiest call in the history of baseball...

Dude's a headcase anyways, and on that stage in a hostile environment?
laugh.gif
He almost entirely melted down in the 1st inning after walking Howard...

Originally Posted by CP1708

Done.

Where do I sign? Draw up the papers we can have this deal done by morning. I'll throw in some money, name the price, he's yours.

Thank you.

laugh.gif

I wish it was this easy. Milton be on the first thing smokin.

I don't know if the Cubs will do that deal,
laugh.gif
. They will dumpBradley, but taking on Rowand is a no no. Rowand still has 3 years left on that deal, it will be very hard to find a taker for him. Bradley has two yearsleft, Rowand has three.

Orioles need a BIG bat this off-season and a #1 pitcher..

Not too many names on that list that would be a potential DH/1st base.. maybe Holiday.

Back
Top Bottom