The Major League Baseball Offseason Post

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

The Giants need to trade Aaron Rowand this off-season. It just hasn't been working for him here in SF.

I'd like to see him be traded for Milton Bradley or possibly Eric Byrnes.

Milton Bradley is a NUTCASE! You don't want him on your team. He's just drama and bull +%%*, kinda reminds me of T.O.
If the Giants can deal with the baggage that Bonds carried for about 5 years, Bradley should be a walk in the park.

I'm almost certain this is Vladi's last week as an Angel. Any thoughts where he'll end up?

Originally Posted by JordanPP30

Orioles need a BIG bat this off-season and a #1 pitcher..

Not too many names on that list that would be a potential DH/1st base.. maybe Holiday.

Orioles actually aren't in that bad of a position. their downfall is playing in the AL East...Jones (San Diego pride) is a stud and Matusz (another SDproduct) will be a stud on the mound...they do need a #1 though and a run at Holiday would definitely be a HUGE move....

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by Tim Lincecum

The Giants need to trade Aaron Rowand this off-season. It just hasn't been working for him here in SF.

I'd like to see him be traded for Milton Bradley or possibly Eric Byrnes.

Done.

Where do I sign? Draw up the papers we can have this deal done by morning. I'll throw in some money, name the price, he's yours.

Thank you.

laugh.gif

I wish it was this easy. Milton be on the first thing smokin.

laugh.gif

Heard a rumor from my homie that since we signed that hitting coach from Texas, that MB will be staying.
sick.gif
if that happens. Hendry would be officially diagnosed as insane if Bradleystays. I'd call for his resignation if true.

As far as signing a 800K hitting coach, I really don't see how dude will help us.......no, I know dude won't be a major factor. I'm calling it:800K down the drain and another infamous signing or move gone wrong by Hendry.

I am expecting some major changes in St. Louis in the offseason. TLR will make his decision on whether he is returning or not (I have a feeling he won't).If TLR leaves we can say goodbye to Duncan as well. Holliday is gone, along with Rick Ankiel and DeRossa. I am not sure if the Cards will bring Smoltz back forone more year and I do know Piniero wants to remain in St. Louis. I honestly believe this will be Albert's final season in a Cardinals uni. I honestly seehim in Boston or in a Yankees uni after the 2010 season.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

I am expecting some major changes in St. Louis in the offseason. TLR will make his decision on whether he is returning or not (I have a feeling he won't). If TLR leaves we can say goodbye to Duncan as well. Holliday is gone, along with Rick Ankiel and DeRossa. I am not sure if the Cards will bring Smoltz back for one more year and I do know Piniero wants to remain in St. Louis. I honestly believe this will be Albert's final season in a Cardinals uni. I honestly see him in Boston or in a Yankees uni after the 2010 season.
Why you don't think St Louis will pay up?

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Originally Posted by JordanPP30

Orioles need a BIG bat this off-season and a #1 pitcher..

Not too many names on that list that would be a potential DH/1st base.. maybe Holiday.

Orioles actually aren't in that bad of a position. their downfall is playing in the AL East...Jones (San Diego pride) is a stud and Matusz (another SD product) will be a stud on the mound...they do need a #1 though and a run at Holiday would definitely be a HUGE move....

I think the only way they'd be able to get a #1 starter is if they let go of one of their arms in the minors and I hope they don't do that.

Holliday would be a great pick up. Even though his #'s slipped in the AL, he did have decent production in the AB's vs. the AL East. And that lineuphas another year under their belt, they should produce a little more.

FB, I think that'll be the Cards first priority no?

I doubt the Yankees would try to go after him w/Tex at first already. Unless they're moving him to LF or for the sole reason of not letting Boston pickhim up.

Also, FB: What's the status on Wainwright and Carpenter? What are their contracts looking like?

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

I am expecting some major changes in St. Louis in the offseason. TLR will make his decision on whether he is returning or not (I have a feeling he won't). If TLR leaves we can say goodbye to Duncan as well. Holliday is gone, along with Rick Ankiel and DeRossa. I am not sure if the Cards will bring Smoltz back for one more year and I do know Piniero wants to remain in St. Louis. I honestly believe this will be Albert's final season in a Cardinals uni. I honestly see him in Boston or in a Yankees uni after the 2010 season.

Typically, STL is cheap with their money and don't often re-sign a lot of guys. They are smart though, becasue they don't get sucked into a lot ofhorrible contracts. I'm not saying signing Holliday is a horrible contract, but they usually don't make big moves like that. Now when the season isgoing on and they are in the hunt, like this past year, they will make deals and add money in the short term to make a run, but in the offseasons, they tend tolet those guys walk. FB got a good pulse on the Cards, he's probably right on most of what he said, certainly if LaRussa stays though, that might helpcreate a dominoe effect of guys staying and other guys wanting to sign on (provided they take a little less money then another team might pay them.)

Osh Kosh Bosh wrote:

I am expecting some major changes in St. Louis in the off season. TLR will make his decision on whether he is returning or not (I have a feeling he won't). If TLR leaves we can say goodbye to Duncan as well. Holliday is gone, along with Rick Ankiel and DeRossa. I am not sure if the Cards will bring Smoltz back for one more year and I do know Piniero wants to remain in St. Louis. I honestly believe this will be Albert's final season in a Cardinals uni. I honestly see him in Boston or in a Yankees uni after the 2010 season.

Albert says it's not about the money, but about being on a team that's competing for a World Series every year. Translation - not only ishis going to be paid higher than anyone, Boston or New York will be the team he chooses from. The Cards are not a large market team and ownership has alwaysrelied on the loyalty St. Louis shows the Cards regardless of win or lose. The Cards have been somewhat fortunate in Albert's tenure with post seasonappearances, but I think he would much rather play on a team that's a World Series contender every year, clearly the Cardinals aren't.

To everyone looking for contract information, go to this great website -

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by Proshares

Also, FB: What's the status on Wainwright and Carpenter? What are their contracts looking like?

Carpenter is signed through 2011 with a club option for 2012.

Wainwright is signed through 2011 with a club option for 2012/13 (must be exercised at the same time).

[h1]Strong Interest In Aroldis Chapman[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [October 25 at 12:35pm CST]

SUNDAY, 12:35pm: As suggested by Lennon earlier, Chapman's price tag is too high for the Mets. Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post reports (via Twitter) that the Mets were told Chapman wants up to $60MM to sign.

SATURDAY, 7:23pm: John Stockstill - the Orioles' director of international scouting - has confirmed that the club will meet with Chapman and his agent next week in New York, according to Roch Kubatko of MASN.com. In a piece yesterday, Kubatko wrote that he doesn't think Baltimore will end up signing the 21-year-old.

SATURDAY, 2:38pm: Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports the A's have also had interest in Chapman since he became a free agent. However, they were not among the teams that met the hard-throwing left-hander in New York this week.

FRIDAY, 1:59pm: Lennon says (via Twitter) that the Mets won't bid $40-60MM for Chapman.

FRIDAY, 1:19pm: Add the Blue Jays to the mix of teams interested in Chapman, according to our source. Also, the Orioles have maintained interest and want to meet.

THURSDAY, 2:39pm: MLBTR has learned that the Cubs and White Sox have expressed interest in free agenty lefty Aroldis Chapman. The Cardinals have been more aggressive than those clubs, and plan to meet with Chapman next week. The Yankees and Red Sox, of course, have also been among the aggressive suitors. A meeting with the Mets will come later this week, according to Newsday's David Lennon.

The Chapman tour began yesterday in New York, as the 21-year-old's agency decided not to make MLB clubs come to Andorra. ESPN's Jorge Arangure Jr. believes Chapman will command a contract in the $40-60MM range.

Manny Acta is the new manager of the Cleveland Indians.

[h2]Indians sign Acta as manager[/h2]

Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Indians have hired Manny Acta as their manager.

30057.jpg

Acta

Team spokesman Bart Swain said Sunday that Acta has signed a three-year contract with a club option for 2013. Additional terms were not disclosed.

Acta was fired by the Washington Nationals in July.

The Indians chose him after a second round of interviews over former New York Mets manager Bobby Valentine and Indians Triple-A manager Torey Lovullo.

The team had been expected to interview Dodgers hitting coach Don Mattingly.

The 40-year-old Acta also interviewed for Houston's opening.

laugh.gif
Why would you hire someone that sucked so badly as recently as this year?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Aroldis Chapman is tryin to get PAID... Talkin about $60M contract...
smh.gif
NOT HAPPENING.

Acta is very strict/stubborn but a good motivator, I don't think he'll do that bad a job at Cleveland (Nationals are a cesspool).

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

laugh.gif
Why would you hire someone that sucked so badly as recently as this year?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Aroldis Chapman is tryin to get PAID... Talkin about $60M contract...
smh.gif
NOT HAPPENING.

yup. it was ridiculous when Strasburg was looking for $40-50M and he had NOWHERE NEAR the amount of flaws that Chapman has...

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Acta is very strict/stubborn but a good motivator, I don't think he'll do that bad a job at Cleveland (Nationals are a cesspool).
Cleveland might have less talent than the Nationals right now...
laugh.gif
yup. it was ridiculous when Strasburg was looking for $40-50M and he had NOWHERE NEAR the amount of flaws that Chapman has...

Only thing he got goin for him is that International FA's generally get more scratch than draftees, but he doesn't have anywhere near thetrack record or mix of pitches Daisuke had... Granted he's a 21 year old lefty that brings 100MPH heat, but still...

So he has a fastball, no real off speed to speak of, let alone a third pitch, average to below average command, I love that the Jays are interested, andactually looking to pay for a real latin american prospect but 60m is ridiculous for a dude with one pitch.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/10/la-russa-signs-extension-with-cardinals.html[/h1]
[h1]La Russa Signs Extension With Cardinals[/h1]
By Steve Adams [October 25 at 5:33pm CST]

6:30pm: Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals will announce that La Russa will return next season at a press conference Monday morning.

3:13pm: According to an ESPN report, while Olney's sources say a deal is in place, La Russa himself has not yet confirmed:
"We're getting closer," La Russa, who has managed the team for 14 years, said earlier Sunday. "But nothing has been decided. I can't tell you anything yet."

Both chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. and general manager John Mozeliak would like La Russa to return. His current two-year, $8.5MM contract expires at the end of the month.

2:35pm: ESPN's Buster Olney has informed MLBTR, via email, that Tony La Russa has signed a new multi-year contract to return as the Cardinals manager. La Russa's coaching staff will look different though, as the Cards have fired hitting coach Hal McRae. The leading candidate to replace him? According to Olney, it's former Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/10/cards-hire-mcgwire-as-hitting-coach.html[/h1]
[h1]Cards Hire McGwire As Hitting Coach[/h1]
By Steve Adams [October 25 at 4:40pm CST]

Pat Lackey informs us that a Cardinals source confirmed to Fanhouse's Ed Price that Mark McGwire has been hired to replace Hal McRae as the St. Louis hitting coach.

McGwire, 46, played in Saint Louis for four and a half seasons, hitting 220 home runs during his tenure, including setting a then-single season record with 70 home runs. For his career, McGwire totaled a .263/.394/.588 line, clubbing 583 home runs over 16 seasons with the Athletics and Cardinals.

As Lackey points out, McGwire's hiring could indicate the return of Tony La Russa. We've heard reports so far today that La Russa has signed a multi-year extension, but there has yet to be an official announcement regarding his contract status.

Lol and the Stros tried to get Acta. Back to the drawing board. Hopefully not Garner for a 2nd time around
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom