The Major League Baseball Offseason Post

Originally Posted by jdcurt2

Does this mean they won't be re-signing Bay?
nerd.gif
If not this trade makes no sense.
It means that they bought low on a promising prospect and have a Plan B if in case Jason Bay bolts to another team.

Same thing happened when they got Adam LaRoche. They picked him up from the Pirates and once they got Victor Martinez they shipped him to the Braves for CaseyKotchman, a player they could stick in the minors.

I hate to say it but I think it's time for Jr. to hang em up.
he's not ring chasing, he's not complaining about playing time, he accepts his role...keep on playing.
pimp.gif

Angels re-sign outfielder Bobby Abreu [h2]The veteran left-handed slugger will get a two-year, $19-million contract that includes a club option for 2012 at $9 million.[/h2]

Eek so Damon is going to want something around that new Abreu contract to get re-signed as well. smh Angels.

Originally Posted by Mr Cashfl0w

Eek so Damon is going to want something around that new Abreu contract to get re-signed as well. smh Angels.
I think with what Abreu did last season, his contract is reasonable. Damon really did benefit from the configuration of New Yankee Stadium.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/white-sox-buy-out-option-on-jermaine-dye.html[/h1]
[h1]White Sox Buy Out Option On Jermaine Dye[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 6 at 10:38am CST]

The White Sox bought out Jermaine Dye's mutual option for 2010, according to the team. Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times says it cost the Sox $950K. This decision was a given, since the option was for $12MM. While Dye is a projected Type A free agent, it won't matter because the Sox are highly unlikely to offer arbitration.

Dye, 36 in January, hit .250/.340/.453 in 574 plate appearances this year. He slumped to .184/.303/.278 over the season's final two months. In an article yesterday, MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan said that Dye "is of interest to the Rangers."

[h1]Twins Acquire J.J. Hardy For Carlos Gomez[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 6 at 10:57am CST]

The Twins acquired shortstop J.J. Hardy for center fielder Carlos Gomez, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

While I expected the Brewers to snag a young pitcher for Hardy, I like the move for both sides. Center field was certainly a need for the Brewers with Mike Cameron eligible for free agency. While Gomez hasn't had offensive success in his career, his stellar defense is unquestionable.

Hardy is a huge addition for the Twins, who entered the offseason needing upgrades at shorstop, third base, and second base. Due to an August demotion by the Brewers, Hardy is under team control for 2010 and 2011. He slumped offensively this year, but maintained his strong defense.

Solid pickup by the Twins.

Guess Orlando Cabrera and Mike Cameron need to find new digs.

So, basically...

Johan Santana for JJ Hardy?
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

I really like this move though. We had too many outfielders that could start for us in Cuddyer-Span-D.Young-Gomez andthere was huge gap that needed to be filled in the infield...and there STILL is because 2B and 3B are question marks.

I wonder if we'll move O-Cab to 2B? Doesn't appear likely but the way this guy was coming through for us in the second half was absolutely amazing. Soclutch...I was hoping we could hang on to him and maybe we still can? Right now it doesn't seem like it.

Gomez is fantastic defensively, but his bat has always been a question mark. He has no patience at the plate and strikes out far too much.

I wish him luck in Milwaukee.

Welcome to Minnesota James Jerry Hardy
happy.gif

I remember dudes saying JJ Hardy was one of the best SS in the National League just because he had that one quick start to a season.
laugh.gif

Good trade for the Twins; alleviates the clogged outfield that formed this past season. Hopefully a change of scenery for Hardy does him well and can lock downthe shortstop position for us the next few years.

The Twins have way too many Outfielders, so Gomez could be spared.

JJ Hardy is still young, and under team control something I am sure the Twins liked.

I still think Hardy is good, maybe a change of scenery.

What happened to Humber, Mulvey and Guerra?

[h1]Red Sox Acquire Jeremy Hermida[/h1]
By Mike Axisa [November 5 at 4:33pm CST]

According to Juan C. Rodriguez of The Sun Sentinel, the Red Sox have acquired Jeremy Hermida from the Marlins in exchange for minor league lefthanded pitchers Hunter Jones and Jose Alvarez.

Hermida, 25, has hit .265/.344/.425 in almost 2,000 career plate appearances, which is not what many had in mind for the guy Baseball America once ranked as the fourth best prospect in baseball. He earned $2.25MM in 2009, and still has two more years of arbitration eligibility ahead of him.

The 25-year-old Jones got his first taste of the big leagues in 2009, when he put up a 9.24 ERA in 12.2 innings. He spent most of the year in Triple-A, where he held lefties to a .206 AVG against. Alvarez, 20, spent 2009 in Class-A ball, where he put up a 2.26 ERA in 26 games (12 start).

Does this mean they won't be re-signing Bay?
nerd.gif
If not this trade makes no sense.

frown.gif
another one shipped out of the red sox farm team. We should just joinorganizations with them. They have 4 former players of ours now and have had several others. I fear the Uggla won't make it to spring training withus.
ohwell.gif

Brett Myers' time with the Phillies is over.

"I officially won't be a Phillie next year," the 29-year-old pitcher told The Inquirer this afternoon. In a meeting with general manager Ruben Amaro Jr., today, Myers was told that the team will not attempt to negotiate a new contract with him this offseason. Myers contract expired after the World Series. He said he will file for free agency today.

Amaro announced Friday afternoon that the Phillies had exercised the $9 million option on ace Cliff Lee. Based on the 4-0 record, 1.56 ERA and 40 1/3 innings during the 2009 postseason, Lee is a bargain. He might not be such a bargain if the Phillies return to the playoffs in 2010 with Lee at the top of the rotation.

pimp.gif

But that doesn't mean Amaro and the rest of his lieutenants aren't already hard at work shaping the 2010 roster. Sure, the Phillies exercised the option for Lee, but have not come to a conclusion on slick-fielding third baseman Pedro Feliz. The Phillies have until Monday to decide whether or not to give Feliz another year at $5.5 million, and it appears as if they are weighing all their options.

dont do it
frown.gif

Slugger Manny Ramirez will exercise his $20 million option to return to the Los Angeles Dodgers for the 2010 season

the Reds won't pick up Ramon Hernandez's option, but hope to re-sign him.

[h1]Reds To Cut Payroll, Big Names Could Be Dealt[/h1]
By Mark Polishuk [November 10 at 10:20pm CST]

Add the Reds to the list of teams that are slashing, rather than spending, this off-season. Fanhouse's Ed Price and Jeff Fletcher are reporting that Cincinnati is looking to cut their payroll from $71MM in 2009 to between the $65-$70MM range next season. While it may not sound like much of a reduction, Cot's Baseball Contracts lists the Reds as owing just under $66MM to just ten players for next season, leaving little room to fill out the rest of the roster.

Lagging attendance figures are to blame for the Reds' financial cutbacks. Price and Fletcher noted that attendance at the Great American Ballpark dropped by more than 15 percent from 2008 to 2009. General manager Walt Jocketty was quoted in the piece as saying, "We're going to probably have less to spend this year than we have in the past...It just depends on how [ticket] sales go this offseason."

If Cincinnati does make a deal, the likeliest candidates to be moved are second baseman Brandon Phillips (owed just under $7MM in 2010), and pitchers Aaron Harang ($12.5MM) and Bronson Arroyo ($12.25MM). Phillips, with his .452 slugging percentage over the last four seasons, is the most attractive candidate to other clubs given his power from the second base position and reasonable contract. Harang and Arroyo are both coming off decent years themselves, but Price and Fletcher speculate that their bigger contract numbers would require the Reds to absorb a chunk of their salaries if traded.

One star player who looks to be staying in Cincinnati is closer Francisco Cordero, who Price and Fletcher say the club "would prefer to keep" despite the $25MM he's owed through 2011. A very intriguing trade chip could be young slugger Joey Votto, if the Reds wanted to make room for star prospect Yonder Alonso at first base. Another team could be convinced to take on a bad contract if it meant getting Votto, who isn't eligible for free agency until after the 2013 season.

i hate to love my team.
ohwell.gif

WEDNESDAY, 9:38am: FOX's guys continue to work this story, stating that the Dodgers "have some interest" in bringing Jackson back to the organization. The writers add that the teams have not discussed a Jackson-George Sherrill swap, though the Tigers liked Sherrill at the trade deadline.
t_17496_07.jpg

boy_dog_praying.jpg

eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
As a DC resident, I am stunned that Austin Kearns even had a $10 million option to begin with.

PLEASE BRING BACK EDWIN
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Danys Baez and Lance Carter for Edwin
sick.gif
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom