The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Quote me where the words James Toney & ordinary were in the same post.

I’ll wait.
I wasn't the only one that understood what you said as Toney being ordinary. Anyways, is neither here nor there. The same way I said Connor had Zero chance in boxing is the same way I say he has zero chance if a fighter decides he wants to actually MMA ..

Leg kicks and takedown will beat Floyd ...

You think otherwise you smoking ...

Floyd's opponent is going to take a dive
**** is going to be scripted but folks still going to buy it up

Fine let’s play this game.

James Toney was an out of shape hack by the time it was 2011. He stepped into the octagon at 237 pounds a long cry away from his peak and prime shape of 160.

James Toney flunctuating in weight over the course of 22 years cannot be compared to Floyd Mayweather staying in peak physical shape his entire career. Toney was even busted for steroids which let’s me know even he knew he was past his physical prime.

You can’t compare the two at all just because they were both boxers which was ultimately my point.

Mayweather is still working out to this day. You think he can’t learn a new trick, I think he can. No one is saying Floyd is going to go in there and slap a triangle on someone for a submission win.

But to aay he’s just like any other boxee to step foot in an octagon let alone one who was overweight and nearly a decade past his prome is nonsense. And I’ll continue to argue that.

Mayweather is still working out to this day. You think he can’t learn a new trick, I think he can. No one is saying Floyd is going to go in there and slap a triangle on someone for a submission win.

But to aay he’s just like any other boxee to step foot in an octagon let alone one who was overweight and nearly a decade past his prome is nonsense. And I’ll continue to argue that.

People were already seeing that Floyd lost a step or two in the McGregor fight, so even if he's still working out he's not prime Floyd anymore. He's on his way down. And yes, I don't care how great Floyd was in his prime, you are not stepping up to a professional MMA fighter with 14 months of "training" and standing a chance.

It said 3-4 fights to the tune of about a billion but I'm also hearing that it's not for Floyd to fight personally

I think the statement that Floyd is another boxer in the ring is incorrect.

Floyd is arguably the best boxer in the world. He is super grounded to his roots which are boxing.

I think a mediocre fighter would be better at the octagon than Floyd, because they actually can learn to throw a kick and make it a brawl. Lol

But yeah, if we want to say he is like any other professional boxer ... although incorrect, I take it.

Unless an MMA fighter goes in there trying to throw the fight or trying to stand up with Floyd with just punches then yea, Floyd has a chance if theyvare there throwing kicks and takedown ... goodnight floyd.

I mean the kicks & TDs still have to land for it to be an effective gameplan. I think Floyd is one of the best ever at distance management and movement around the ring. His cardio is off the charts. What stops him from piecing up a mediocre fighter once he learns to use that distance control with kicks in mind as well? If Floyd can land a good shot on a guy he can then mitigate what that guy is willing to do against him; ie tagging them as they charge at him OR timing a punch according to the kick or TD. Timing is already a bit of his forte, no?

I dont take Floyd in an MMA fight, but I dont think it's as cut and dry as 'kick him in the legs and tackle him'.

Boxing and MMA stances are much different for a reason, in boxing there's no fear of takedown/kicks obviously but another strategy Floyd uses all the time is turning his back and being largely defensive to land counters. Turning his back would never work like he uses it for the fact that you can punch from the clinch in MMA along with elbows and knees. If he ever steps foot in the octagon it would be against a guy with no threat of takedowns, no wrestling background, low level kicks and known mostly for boxing. Prob another former boxer or a very green up and comer (say someone making their pro debut or 0-1. 1-0).

The greatest strategizer in fight history is all of a sudden going to forget how to strategize because there’s 8 corners surrounding him instead of 4

The **** I read here makes me dumber than a box if rocks man.

These dudes seriously think a boxer that has never had to worry about kicks is going to know how to look and avoid leg kicks ....

We aren't talking about Floyd and the 1000 rank MMA fighter, we are talking about contenders in their respective division...

I will say this, back in the pride days when Crocop first transitioned over from K1 he used to have this matador takedown defense. No grappling, no underhooks, just using pure athleticism to avoid the shot. I always wondered if a similarly (or more) athletic boxer with great footwork could make that work in today’s game. Against a dude like khabib there’s probably little to no shot, but against a less credentialed grappler? Or a stand and bang type dude? Never know.

But I still think it has way more chance of being a disaster than not. I don’t necessarily think Floyd can’t do it, I just think he’s past his athletic peak where he would have had a shot at being more successful with it. Plus I don’t know if he gives enough of a **** anymore to put in the effort. Who knows tho

when CC mastered that TD defense ****** was shook... i remember coleman using every iota of his strength to get him down and still couldn't do **** :lol:

I see Floyd reversing his course real quick saying he's not going to fight mma

Only that if he wanted to he could fight in the UFC and make a billion

Welp, fun while it lasted I guess

Conor posted "p-ussy" lolz

**** show :lol:

But back to reality, 219 is wild underwhelming to me for a year-end card.

On paper at least.

Shame Cruz got injured. Hyped for Khabib/Barboza and will be good to see Condit back.

But I feel like they normally close stronger. Was the idea that Conor was going to be on before the Bellator BS?

Back
Top Bottom