The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

This is such a ish show. The optics on the sport, USADA, CSAC, Jones, etc.

Jon’s performance better be through the roof, almost elevated to god like when he fights Gus.

Is Gus wrong for strong arming them? Better to be proactive than the retroactive Mark Hunt took.

They were trying to finesse MMA as legit with the Fox>uniforms>rankings>USADA to sell it.

Strangely, the fighters (the majority 10 and 10 dudes) had no say in any of that or benefited except for the “partners” chosen ones like Conor, Chael, Ronda, Bork, etc.

Sadly, the journalists are the only ones calling out the b.s.

But it’s not a legit sport and they get silenced like a journalist in Turkey.

^this
it was brought in to "legitimize" the sport and bring it into mainstream
you got this agency and a guy like novitzky who brought down athletes like lance, marion jones, bonds, etc.

dana could sell that to the networks and show them that he was trying to turn it from just being "human cockfighting" and a sport with rules, corporate sponsors, etc
there's a reason the fertitas got completely out once they got that 4B deal

still wild thinking how much wme paid for the ufc

Outside of the jones case, Luke thomas surmised several months ago that we as fans and a society can’t expect a sport like mma or boxing to be completely void of supplements (or medicine)

I agree with him

He wasn’t saying fighters should be juiced to the gills but that realistically the human body breaking down so frequently needs aid to recover. medicine should be embraced

Ish happens. But the point is MMA is both awesome and stupid at the same time.

Chuck Liddell fighting at close to 50.

The JBJ saga (dude is a PoS).

Low fighter pay despite a Fox/ESPN deal + $4 Billion buy out.

An unprofessional promoter.

No organized way for the fighters to voice themselves (it’s not so bad in Bellator, etc). Why should they have to wear uniforms, USADA, etc?

The draconian weed policies despite the barbaric ness of the sport.

I feel for all these fighters that are getting screwed due to Jones

I know at this point we probably never will see DC vs Jones again, but man that needs to happen. The hate those two have for each other.

I feel for all these fighters that are getting screwed due to Jones

I know at this point we probably never will see DC vs Jones again, but man that needs to happen. The hate those two have for each other.

I actually think there’s a decent chance that fight happens one more time before DC hangs it up

I just don't see how it can happen again considering clearly Jones can not remain clean and DC is not going to want to go through this BS unless the paycheck is outrageous

Yeah for DC, that third match is starting to seem more risk than reward. Knocking Stipe out in one round helped get rid of the stigma of him being an also-ran after the 2nd Bones loss.

And Bones killing his own legacy only helps sway the public and help Cormier’s legacy. The can’t beat Bones narrative has already started changing into yeah he got beat twice but has Bones ever been clean? Cormier might be better off just retiring as heavyweight champ and letting Bones beat himself.

Him going into a 3rd fight at 40 years old against a guy 8 years his junior who’s quite possibly juiced up and at least on the surface seems to have people within the ufc brass and anti doping commissions that are going easy on him? Yeah that check better be heavy

I’m tired of DC’s legacy being weighed against Jon’s.

Let that man live. Living his best life, not going back and forth with that cheater, clown, criminal, etc.

Dude was champ-champ. Beat everyone who was anyone in LHW outside of JBJ. He is undefeated at HW.

No one out here clowning Rashad, Rampage, Machida, Chael, Gus, Rumble, etc.

With Saturday, a new LHW era starts. We got some new blood with Smith, Blachowicz, Latifi, Reyes, Anderson, etc.

Let that man live. Living his best life, not going back and forth with that cheater, clown, criminal, etc.

Dude was champ-champ. Beat everyone who was anyone in LHW outside of JBJ. He is undefeated at HW.

With Saturday, a new LHW era starts. We got some new blood with Smith, Blachowicz, Latifi, Reyes, Anderson, etc.

I feel you and I agree, but that’s how it goes. Certain fighters and certain rivalries are always gonna be linked, no getting around it.

Especially in a situation like Cormier’s where he can beat everybody except this one guy

People will always find something to criticize Cormier about. Dude never tested positive for anything but people act like he’s the bad guy.

No idea how anyone thinks Gus won. Yeah it was close but Jones clearly won the 5th round

Revisionist history.
Just rewatched. I just didn't see any case for Gus winning. By the eye test and by the statistics. Rogan was gassing Gus excessively during the telecast making it seem one sided towards Gus

Round 1 was very close, kicks landed for both. Gus had 1 takedown that lasted for mere seconds and no damage or sub attempts from the takedown. Jones actually landed the hardest strike of the round at the end

Round 2 was clearly Jon, he landed the hardest strikes, 2 head kicks and an elbow. Gus lands some decent hand combos but not enough Imo

Round 3 again was clearly Jon. More head kicks and hard body kicks. Gus continues with a few decent hand combos but again, nothing to sway the round

Round 4 I had Gus winning all the way with clean combos landed until the last 40 seconds. Jon took over and had Gus hurt with elbows. Depends on how much you valued those last 40 seconds from Jon but Gus was definitely wobbled

Round 5 Jon landed 3 clean head kicks and also had 3 head kicks that were partially blocked but still had to be absorbed. He landed a few clean elbows and a flying knee. Clearly won the round

I agree.

Jon is my #1 with DC as #2. I love DC except for when he fights Jon, simply because I'm a Jones stan. He's done everything that Jon was supposed to do. Big, fun fight like Anderson. Champ champ. The list goes on

Jones is a fraud and that’s all there is to it. We know the Connor hype is history now but find another show to put on. Lots of misinformation too. The amount he got busted for has had other fighters banned for years. Claim it’s from a previous dosage, which he also claimed never happened, but it’s still in you meaning you’ve had the substance in you or you’re using a masking agent

Vegas kicked them out becuase they know it’s all BS. LA doesn’t care

Last edited:
Whether he really used steroids or not, Jones is the GOAT. Plenty of fighters have tested positive but haven't had anywhere near the success or skillset that Jon has.

It's a shame he tested positive...thrice. He didn't need it. But it will always cause doubt for future MMA historians

Literally the Barry Bonds of MMA

Whether he really used steroids or not, Jones is the GOAT. Plenty of fighters have tested positive but haven't had anywhere near the success or skillset that Jon has.

It's a shame he tested positive...thrice. He didn't need it. But it will always cause doubt for future MMA historians

Literally the Barry Bonds of MMA
Naw, he’s a cheat and from the amount of times he’s tested positive its evident that he DID need them. He’s fraud status no matter what. He’s up there with Brock for laughing stock of all combat sports. Then can race each other to most wins turned over by DQ due to testing

Naw, he’s a cheat and from the amount of times he’s tested positive its evident that he DID need them. He’s fraud status no matter what. He’s up there with Brock for laughing stock of all combat sports. Then can race each other to most wins turned over by DQ due to testing

Agree to disagree. I still think that Jones is the most talented fighter to step into the octagon

Back
Top Bottom