The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

I still think a prime Cyborg would beat her.

…her strategy in that fight was terrible.
Nope.

You going to have to stand on Bidness.

Not to say Cyborg hasn’t had challenging fights. But she literally fights in one of the shallowest divisions in Women’s MMA (Kayla’s old one was the shallowest but she’s a warrior and trying to do what Cyborg didn’t). Amanda’s hands are better than Cyborgs. And is prime Cyborg juiced or not? Amanda also has a more complete game. Plus she had that power. Except for that slip up with Julianna…which happens when you’re unmotivated and sleeping in silk sheets…she was a beast. She coulda strung off two more title defenses before riding off into the sunset. She cleaned out women’s FW and BW. And there’s no way she can cut down to 125. For most of her career, Cyborg fought in great promotions that put women on the forefront (Invicta and Strikeforce). But the competition wasn’t there and she was pretty one dimensional. Not to say she’s not in the women’s top five (maybe #3-#4 after Amanda, Valentina, JJ). But as the game grows…she’ll be out of there due to the level of competition a Weili, Rose, etc faced. And Kayla coming up too.

Karate Combat livestream on YouTube right now a sideshow.

A guy clearly lost his fight and his cornerman attacked the winner. Only for the cornerman the be fully choked unconscious on the mat by the event promoter. 😂

Commentators were saying do you think Dana White could do that.

Nope.

You going to have to stand on Bidness.

Not to say Cyborg hasn’t had challenging fights. But she literally fights in one of the shallowest divisions in Women’s MMA (Kayla’s old one was the shallowest but she’s a warrior and trying to do what Cyborg didn’t). Amanda’s hands are better than Cyborgs. And is prime Cyborg juiced or not? Amanda also has a more complete game. Plus she had that power. Except for that slip up with Julianna…which happens when you’re unmotivated and sleeping in silk sheets…she was a beast. She coulda strung off two more title defenses before riding off into the sunset. She cleaned out women’s FW and BW. And there’s no way she can cut down to 125. For most of her career, Cyborg fought in great promotions that put women on the forefront (Invicta and Strikeforce). But the competition wasn’t there and she was pretty one dimensional. Not to say she’s not in the women’s top five (maybe #3-#4 after Amanda, Valentina, JJ). But as the game grows…she’ll be out of there due to the level of competition a Weili, Rose, etc faced. And Kayla coming up too.
You could make that argument.

Or you could look at the eye test and ask yourself how good Cyborg was in her prime.

…she was a destroyer of worlds.

Yes…in the shallowest division and juiced out the gills.

I said she was top five. And was a beast. Like Tyson before he had to fight Holyfield, Lewis, etc.

Top five?

…as in there are four female fighters who were better than her?
Now?

JJ

Amanda

Valentina

I said I have her four or five. But in a few years easily out of the top five with Weili, Rose, Kayla. Leaving Alexa out of the conversation because she seems fluky.

Cyborg hasn’t fought real competition in a minute. PFL tried to get her to fight Larissa. And it sounds like they also tried Kayla before her contract expired.

Easy big money fight. Folks like Max, Justin, and Dustin are all time greats. Volk might need to insert him into this class based on where he is in his career.

Now?

JJ

Amanda

Valentina

I said I have her four or five. But in a few years easily out of the top five with Weili, Rose, Kayla. Leaving Alexa out of the conversation because she seems fluky.

Cyborg hasn’t fought real competition in a minute. PFL tried to get her to fight Larissa. And it sounds like they also tried Kayla before her contract expired.
The disrespect to Cyborg :smh:. Longevity and her only loss being against Nunes puts her 2nd easy. People forget everyone was ducking her in the UFC. GDR was the 1st FW champ and got stripped cause she didn't want to take the fight.

Shevs best title defense is against an undersized straw weight Jessica Andrade. Murphy, Eye, Chookagian, Carmouch are about the same level as a random Bellator WFW title defense.

I’m not trying to disrespect her. I have her in the women’s all time top five for her Tysonesque MMA run

But her “biggest” fights were against 135ers and a lady who would quit MMA to become a B Level MAGA actor.

She has a good resume for someone who fought in the toughest division to find talent for. She beat Sinead Kavanagh (more popular due to her SBG and McGregor association), Cat Zigano (135er), Holly Holm (135er), Marloes Coenen 2X (women's legend aka plumber), and Gina Carano.

Again I appreciate what she brought to the women’s game. And she was an attraction the UFC ever really capitalized on. Kayla wouldn’t have had to cut to 135 if they kept the 145 division around.

But Amanda fought Cup Cake Tate, Ronda Rousey, Valentina 2X, Julianna Pena, Rocky Pennington, Holy Holm, GDR, Megan Anderson, Sara McMann. Her two blemishes were Cat Zigano which she never rematches and Julianna Pena. But she fought a who’s who in women’s MMA. Probably the biggest names. Same with JJ. She fought who’s who in women’s MMA at 115.

I’m not trying to disrespect her. I have her in the women’s all time top five for her Tysonesque MMA run

But her “biggest” fights were against 135ers and a lady who would quit MMA to become a B Level MAGA actor.

She has a good resume for someone who fought in the toughest division to find talent for. She beat Sinead Kavanagh (more popular due to her SBG and McGregor association), Cat Zigano (135er), Holly Holm (135er), Marloes Coenen 2X (women's legend aka plumber), and Gina Carano.

Again I appreciate what she brought to the women’s game. And she was an attraction the UFC ever really capitalized on. Kayla wouldn’t have had to cut to 135 if they kept the 145 division around.

But Amanda fought Cup Cake Tate, Ronda Rousey, Valentina 2X, Julianna Pena, Rocky Pennington, Holy Holm, GDR, Megan Anderson, Sara McMann. Her two blemishes were Cat Zigano which she never rematches and Julianna Pena. But she fought a who’s who in women’s MMA. Probably the biggest names. Same with JJ. She fought who’s who in women’s MMA at 115.
Amanda is obviously the #1 but Cyborg is easily 2. JJ got knocked out bad twice and lost 4 title fights. Cyborgs prime from Invicta all the way to the UFC was dominant and running through women who were good fighters during that time.

As for tonight, can't wait for the top 2 fights. Crazy that they got Simon as the curtain jerker.

But that my point. JJ DID lose all of those title fights. Why? Because these MMA promotions recruit for 115-135. She’s also the woman with the most title defenses as well probably.

With where women’s MMA was, There was never another 145er with similar talent. Besides Invicta, who is the farm league for most of the pros, it’s not a lot of 145ers just walking out, coming into MMA, developing satisfactory skills in semi deep division to challenge her. She was 1 of 1. An attraction. The only two other folks were Larissa Pacheco and Kayla Harrison. Larissa was cut by the UFC and flourished in PFL, the third best organization. And Kayla was starting out and signed with the PFL. As an Olympian and training with ATT (and possible extra help), it made her stand out against the rather shallow 155 division in PFL which is again not one these pros are recruiting for. She had the same issue Cyborg did. 135ers and 145ers moving up.

That’s why Kayla’s UFC stint is the opposite of Cyborg. She is choosing to make the cut to 135er because that’s where the talent (sort of is). I’d say most of the talent is in 115-125 lately after Amanda cleaned out 135. Bellator didn’t even have a 135 division lol. Most of the talent is being funneled into flyweight.

But that my point. JJ DID lose all of those title fights. Why? Because these MMA promotions recruit for 115-135. She’s also the woman with the most title defenses as well probably.

With where women’s MMA was, There was never another 145er with similar talent. Besides Invicta, who is the farm league for most of the pros, it’s not a lot of 145ers just walking out, coming into MMA, developing satisfactory skills in semi deep division to challenge her. She was 1 of 1. An attraction. The only two other folks were Larissa Pacheco and Kayla Harrison. Larissa was cut by the UFC and flourished in PFL, the third best organization. And Kayla was starting out and signed with the PFL. As an Olympian and training with ATT (and possible extra help), it made her stand out against the rather shallow 155 division in PFL which is again not one these pros are recruiting for. She had the same issue Cyborg did. 135ers and 145ers moving up.

That’s why Kayla’s UFC stint is the opposite of Cyborg. She is choosing to make the cut to 135er because that’s where the talent (sort of is). I’d say most of the talent is in 115-125 lately after Amanda cleaned out 135. Bellator didn’t even have a 135 division lol. Most of the talent is being funneled into flyweight.
I mean you can say the same about Valentinas run at 125 man :lol:. When it was first made the division was filled with women who weren't good and bloated 115ers. We're just now seeing the actual athletes make their way to the division.

Bellator isn't even her prime years or best competition. She went there after the UFC. She's almost 40 man lol. She been fighting since the Strikeforce days.

I mean you can say the same about Valentinas run at 125 man :lol:. When it was first made the division was filled with women who weren't good and bloated 115ers. We're just now seeing the actual athletes make their way to the division.

Bellator isn't even her prime years or best competition. She went there after the UFC. She's almost 40 man lol. She been fighting since the Strikeforce days.
I don’t disagree. I’m not going to die on the Cyborg is 3, 4, or 5 hill.

125 is just now starting to get deeper than 135. 115 has been the deepest. 135 up until the point Valentina moved down and GDR took a sabbatical just took a nose dive.

That’s why I’m saying who knows where this women’s GOAT conversation will go. I just don’t think time will be kind to Cyborg.

Back
Top Bottom