The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

What exactly has Conor done to be in the top three other than get washed by khabib, beat eddie alvarez four years ago, hes one and one at 155

Were gonna count a washed cerrone at 170? An undersized porier six years ago at 145?
1-1 and somehow still top 3. :lol: dude has got to get active.

Last edited:
1-1 and somehow still top 3. :lol: dude has got to get active.

Thats the problem, hes not fighting anyone in contention unless they have the title and hes not fighting them if he has the title

Guys had numerous opportunities to fight guys like Tony, Justin, and Dustin at 155 and yet nothing

Reactions: OTG
I think Aljo matches up well with him. Great ground game and striking and range control improved so much in his last fight. Those 2 are the most deserving of it right now. Wouldn't mind seeing a little tournament either. Division is deep enough.

so tony's not a top fighter because he lost to a top fighter?

pretty sure that's what happens when you actually take fights instead hand picking your opponents when you're "biding your time"

Listen to the SevereMMA podcast.

They break it down.

No one is saying Tony didn’t have the longest win streak in that division. Nor is anyone saying he wasn’t beating keen competition like Lee, Cowboy, Barbosa, etc.

But along the way, he never fought anyone in the top three like Porier, Gaethje, Khabib, etc. That’s a top heavy division.

And when he did, his striking was exposed. He gets hit too much. That fight should’ve probably gotten stopped earlier.

Zuffa tends to do that. Folks circle top five. Sometimes they give them the title shot without letting them through a real gatekeeper. Sometimes they do the title eliminator AFTER they lose a title shot like Edgar/Mendes.

Personally, I think him and Diamond should fight. Or him and Conor. The Nate Diaz fight is out there too. He’s got options. If he wins, setup the Khabib fight then.

That's all silly revisionist framing. It's easy to call those guys he's beat middle tier after he smoked them.

Diamond was working his way back up by the time Tony was at the top so there was no reason why Tony would've been matched with him

Gaethje just entered the division while they were still trying to get Tony vs. Khabib made

He' has been trying to fight Khabib for years now, so it isn't a lack of want or trying

And Conor skipped the entire line in the division. He has only fought TWICE at 155 in his career

Yeah gonna have to disagree on that take.. you got to look at where the fighters were at during that time. RDA still in his prime, just lost the title and was the #2 ranked lw only behind Khabib when they fought. Kevin Lee was the fighter no one wanted to take. Pettis was off a knee injury and Cowboy was on a 3 fight win streak who was coming off a dominant win vs. a #3 or 4 rank Al. His style always been take and roll with punches then turn the pace and pressure. It's just he came across the worst matchup possible for that type of fight. I still think he can beat Dustin and Conor in close fights.

Just hope he takes a bit of time off or the UFC gets him a Conor payday. Cause he had so little to gain for taking a fight that he lost everything in man |l

Nah. Cowboy, Pettis nor Lee have ever been elite or close. Like dude said theres a difference in contenders and everybody else. A 12 fight win streak is pretty unassailable buttt... the holes were there. That's why people like Porier were so adamant this was going to happen. All boxers watching tony fight look at him like Kevin Lee. Yea there are alot of things that guy can do but if he wants to stand and trade.... I'll take that opportunity.

Yeah gonna have to disagree on that take.. you got to look at where the fighters were at during that time. RDA still in his prime, just lost the title and was the #2 ranked lw only behind Khabib when they fought. Kevin Lee was the fighter no one wanted to take. Pettis was off a knee injury and Cowboy was on a 3 fight win streak who was coming off a dominant win vs. a #3 or 4 rank Al. His style always been take and roll with punches then turn the pace and pressure. It's just he came across the worst matchup possible for that type of fight. I still think he can beat Dustin and Conor in close fights.

Just hope he takes a bit of time off or the UFC gets him a Conor payday. Cause he had so little to gain for taking a fight that he lost everything in man |l

I understand the Connor disagreements but Tony’ been fighting scrubs the last couple fights . Cerrone on a 3 fight streak only solid win was against raging al . Don’t even bring up mike perry and young cat Hernandez those guys ain’t even ranked or at the end of the rankings . Before the last three wins he was 1 and 4 against solid competition . Pettis coming into fighting tony 3 and 5 in his last eight . When Khabib fights he’s ask for the top of the list only time is when he fought al . Tony wants a title shot after this no problem fight Connor or Dustin don’t go to someone ranked 10
And then complain he’s been fighting for to long . He gets one win against Someone top 3 he’s back in the talk

But you can say that for the other top fighters as well though. Dustin's body of work before Khabib.. Pettis , Gaethje 3 fights in his UFC career coming off an L wasn't a top contender, Eddie, and Max fighting his first fight at 155.

Which would you value more. Prime Max in a new weight division, or Prime RDA coming off a title loss?

But some of those fights are from him vs Khabib getting canceled :lol: .. I think the Lee fight and Pettis was when he came back from knee surgery.

And I thought the whole argument was that Tony ain't elite like Khabib Dustin and Conor lol. I was just saying making a case for the opposite

But some of those fights are from him vs Khabib getting canceled :lol: .. I think the Lee fight and Pettis was when he came back from knee surgery.

And I thought the whole argument was that Tony ain't elite like Khabib Dustin and Conor lol. I was just saying making a case for the opposite

They’re just looking at the names and complaining after the fact.

Tony ended up fighting the majority of these guys because everyone kept pulling out for various reasons. So I can’t hold not fighting such and such against because it wasn’t from a lack of trying.

No matter hownyou feel about his stand up, he wasn’t ducking anybody. Whoever was up next he signed on the dotted line.

If these so called boxers weren’t at the top of the division that’s not Cucoy’s fault

Lol at Dustin not being elite
They’re just looking at the names and complaining after the fact.

Tony ended up fighting the majority of these guys because everyone kept pulling out for various reasons. So I can’t hold not fighting such and such against because it wasn’t from a lack of trying.

No matter hownyou feel about his stand up, he wasn’t ducking anybody. Whoever was up next he signed on the dotted line.

If these so called boxers weren’t at the top of the division that’s not Cucoy’s fault

Tony fell out of a title shot the so called one everyone was *****ing about for the real belt the shot was there injuries happen I know but it was there . Comes back to fight Anthony Pettis 3 and 5 in his last 8 losing to rda Edson max Dustin and Eddie . Come on man that’s a fight you guys wants to see . He fighting a guy who ain’t in the top 10 . After that win he fights cerrone . You talking about Dustin not being top tier . He won three straight against people in the top 5 of their division. He was the underdog in the max fight and won . Like I said Tony can come back but I’m not trying to see him fight any one other than Connor or Dustin for a title shot

Tony fell out of a title shot the so called one everyone was *****ing about for the real belt the shot was there injuries happen I know but it was there . Comes back to fight Anthony Pettis 3 and 5 in his last 8 losing to rda Edson max Dustin and Eddie . Come on man that’s a fight you guys wants to see . He fighting a guy who ain’t in the top 10 . After that win he fights cerrone . You talking about Dustin not being top tier . He won three straight against people in the top 5 of their division. He was the underdog in the max fight and won . Like I said Tony can come back but I’m not trying to see him fight any one other than Connor or Dustin for a title shot

Your reading comprehension is subpar so this conversation is going to go nowhere

My guy, Gaethje wasn't top 5 when he fought dustin. He was only I believe 1-1 at the time in the UFC. Only top 5 LW dustin fought was Eddie. But we can just agree to disagree at this point.

Just saw Tony fractured his orbital smh.. man's too tough for his own good. He should hang it up, don't want to see him come back from that. No boxers ever been the same after that type of injury :smh:

My guy, Gaethje wasn't top 5 when he fought dustin. He was only I believe 1-1 at the time in the UFC. Only top 5 LW dustin fought was Eddie. But we can just agree to disagree at this point.

Just saw Tony fractured his orbital smh.. man's too tough for his own good. He should hang it up, don't want to see him come back from that. No boxers ever been the same after that type of injury :smh:

My bad He was ranked 6th 18 and one record Dustin ranked 5th . After that Dustin ranked 4th beats Eddie number 3 . You can’t argue that if he wins another fight after Eddie he does not serve a title shot . Max at 155 is unusual but still a challenge porrier was the dog in that one to .

Nah. Cowboy, Pettis nor Lee have ever been elite or close. Like dude said theres a difference in contenders and everybody else. A 12 fight win streak is pretty unassailable buttt... the holes were there. That's why people like Porier were so adamant this was going to happen. All boxers watching tony fight look at him like Kevin Lee. Yea there are alot of things that guy can do but if he wants to stand and trade.... I'll take that opportunity.
Just want to interject and say Pettis was definitely elite in his prime. He subbed Bendo and Melendez in their relative primes. I mean, that's insane no matter how you look at it

Pettis just wasn't an all-timer which isn't anything to be ashamed of. His wrestling deficit was just too poor so by the time he started aging out and the game evolved (and perhaps USADA came into the fold) he just couldn't adapt

dustins definitely elite, right behind justin and maybe tony

imagine the fight went exactly the same only 5 seconds before the ref stops it, tony lands that same uppercut in the 2nd which ends up stopping justin and getting him the win, is tony elite because of one punch? or is he not elite because of all the same "flaws" people want to point out? and if hes not elite, does he lose his shot at khabib even after a win? and what about justin, is he not elite just because of that one punch?

i just feel like saying tony isnt elite is hella direspectul and its easy for people to spout nonsense after he just lost to a top fighter, took him further than anyone else

Back
Top Bottom