The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

He can’t use the same game plan.

Costa and Romero have totally different styles. Costa is coming for him. Not to say Captain Eric A might sprinkle strategy in there; that’s not the type of fighter Paulo is.

Izzy definitely going to lean hard on his counter striking. It’s definitely not the surge or spikes when dealing with Romero.

Costa and Romero have totally different styles. Costa is coming for him. Not to say Captain Eric A might sprinkle strategy in there; that’s not the type of fighter Paulo is.

Izzy definitely going to lean hard on his counter striking. It’s definitely not the surge or spikes when dealing with Romero.

Classic bull vs matador matchup. Looking forward to it.

costa gonna go in there juiced to the gills and get in his face like a prime wanderlei. Hopefully not like when a prime wanderlei rushed a prime crocop though.

It‘s not exactly the same, but it’s similar. While Costa and Romero have distinctly different styles. They both have power and when Romero landed heavy on Adesanya, he disengaged and fought at distance for the remainder of the fight.

We will see Adesanya fighting at distance for the entirety of the Costa fight in my opinion. Preservation of champion status is of the utmost importance to any champion in the UFC. It’s the ultimate bargaining chip in a stingy organization.

I agree that Izzy definitely will keep the fight at distance to avoid Costa's power at close range. If he's able to do that effectively I see him getting the decision.

Was just looking at Costa's fights and outside of Romero he hasn't fought any top guys (Hendricks was way past his prime when they fought).

Costa bout to do everything in his power to take that strap.....definitely going to be adesanya’s hardest fight to date

I wouldnt be surprised to see costa go for the takedown early and look to drain izzy energy trying to get up.

I’m also not expecting costa to go in there caveman status guns blazing. He’s going to be calculated for sure.

wouldnt be surprised if izzy is the underdog going in

Costa bout to do everything in his power to take that strap.....definitely going to be adesanya’s hardest fight to date

I wouldnt be surprised to see costa go for the takedown early and look to drain izzy energy trying to get up.

I’m also not expecting costa to go in there caveman status guns blazing. He’s going to be calculated for sure.

wouldnt be surprised if izzy is the underdog going in
Seriously, I mean every pod and show today was talking about how Costa has to be weary of charging in and Izzy countering. Like EVERYONE knows the deal. You have to think Costa and his world class coach know they have to navigate

Anyone have footage of Costa Usmaning someone?

Eric A seems like a solid coach. He obviously had two double champs. But Costa doesn’t come across like a Jon Jones adjustment or follow a game plan and make adjustments like Alex Da Great.

“I don’t think that’s true,” White said at the UFC on ESPN+ 30 post-fight press conference (via Essentially Sports). “I don’t think both have signed. It’s not done… F***ing guys. They were told not to say anything. Combate breaks it immediately, tweeting, you know? The fight is not done.”

“There’s no hold up,” White told the assembled MMA media in Abu Dhabi recently. “We just haven’t done it yet. There’s no hold up. We’re focused on Fight Island, I’m not thinking about anything other than this right now. We have fights laid out until October, our schedule’s already made, we’re way ahead of this thing. When it’s time, we’ll announce it.”

“Paulo Costa vs Adesanya will be the greatest middleweight title fight in history,” he said. “These two hate each other, they are at each other’s throats. When we went to UFC 243, Adesanya called him Ricky Martin, and he does look like Ricky Martin but he hits like Mike Tyson. Adesanya will not step out of the cage there, Costa will erase him.”

I respect the hell out of Hardy, hold his breakdowns in very high regard. This is noteworthy, gotta see how it plays out for him

“I’ll be honest, as dangerous as Paulo Costa is? I think he’s just a more reckless striking version than Yoel Romero. I don’t think he poses the same kind of problems to any of these guys. I mean, of course, if he catches you it’s the if bomb,” Dan Hardy said on BT Sports’ Open Mat. “It’s like fighting Derrick Lewis, you know? If he catches you, he’s gonna knock you out. If he doesn’t catch you, you can probably make him look quite silly with your skills and technique. And I think all three (Whittaker, Till and Adesanya) of these guys have got the skills and ability to make Paulo Costa look like a powerlifter, which is really what he is in comparison to these martial artists.”

"These two hate each other"
Now that's a line I've never heard Dana say lol. I am looking forward to this one and it could be a banger if Costa really tries to push the pace.

I respect the hell out of Hardy, hold his breakdowns in very high regard. This is noteworthy, gotta see how it plays out for him

“I’ll be honest, as dangerous as Paulo Costa is? I think he’s just a more reckless striking version than Yoel Romero. I don’t think he poses the same kind of problems to any of these guys. I mean, of course, if he catches you it’s the if bomb,” Dan Hardy said on BT Sports’ Open Mat. “It’s like fighting Derrick Lewis, you know? If he catches you, he’s gonna knock you out. If he doesn’t catch you, you can probably make him look quite silly with your skills and technique. And I think all three (Whittaker, Till and Adesanya) of these guys have got the skills and ability to make Paulo Costa look like a powerlifter, which is really what he is in comparison to these martial artists.”

To be fair I don't think we've ever seen Romero fight as passively as he did against Izzy. Yes he normally fights in bursts but he literally spent the majority of that fight in his shell even though nothing was being thrown at him and even then Izzy managed to get caught once or twice. It would have been interesting to see how Izzy dealt with a more aggressive version of Romero that night because Costa will more than likely bring the fight to him until one of them goes to sleep.

Yeah I felt like hardy was being extreme

he basically said Costa ain’t a real martial artist or at least an exceptional one

I don’t see how till is so guaranteed to make Costa look silly. That’s a take lol. I don’t think till is some sort of savant striker

Yeah I felt like hardy was being extreme

he basically said Costa ain’t a real martial artist or at least an exceptional one

I don’t see how till is so guaranteed to make Costa look silly. That’s a take lol. I don’t think till is some sort of savant striker

C’mon. Hardy has to make a living. Hot takes and analysis is the name of the game.

Izzy needs this fight. Hopefully, he puts Costa to sleep. If Costa wins, MW is definitely going to be a volatile division. And it has been since Weidman lost the belt.

C’mon. Hardy has to make a living. Hot takes and analysis is the name of the game.

Izzy needs this fight. Hopefully, he puts Costa to sleep. If Costa wins, MW is definitely going to be a volatile division. And it has been since Weidman lost the belt.
Hardy has always been level headed and calculated. I feel like he was out of character in that quote

With a big win Edmen could be in line for a big next fight against the likes of Hermansson, Cannonier (when healthy) or Till (if he's not given a shot after this upcoming fight). I fully expect him to make quick work out of Brunson whos basically become the MW gatekeeper.

Just hope they don't rush him after Brunson to face a top 5/6. Want them to do what their doing with O'Malley, with most of their top prospects. But I think that's more so O'Malleys doing.

Back
Top Bottom