The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

But he doesn’t beat the record lol.

Let’s stop being prisoners of the moment. They did the same thing with Tyron. He’s in the discussion for greatest WW. Now, it’s Kamaru. He’s definitely in the discussion for one of the greatest WWs. But GSP had two reigns. And he has the most tile defenses. He literally dominated the division minus the Hendricks, Condit and Shields fights.
Lol the number of title defenses isn't the end all metric. There's no prisoner of the moment, I specifically said Usman needs to get at least 3 more defenses

Usman has already eclipsed Woodley, so there's zero point in bringing him up

I NEVER said that. Go back and re read my post. I said the family stuff should be off the table, they’re not the ones stepping in the cage. The opponent is.

And Ali is just as a polarizing figure as Colby. None of it is acceptable. It’s a sport. Not a motorcycle gang.

I NEVER said that. Go back and re read my post. I said the family stuff should be off the table, they’re not the ones stepping in the cage. The opponent is.
I got you. I just don't think you can hate anyone for hating him for the act. My point remains, you don't care what he says for the most part but want Ali to be professional. It's the fight business, sometimes things can spill out of the cage. And well deserved

He’s selling tickets for the promotion. Do I agree with everything he says, no.

Is MMA the WWE? No. But sadly the biggest stars have mimicked top WWE personalities like Ric Flair, the Rock, Stone Cold, Superstar Billy Graham.

Those who view it for the actual martial arts, fighting, etc don’t care. Yan/Sandhagen barely moved the needle. But, to me, it’s a dream fight.

That’s all different than this mafioso like figure slapping people backstage or getting into altercations. No one else is doing that. But hey if it’s the WWE let Ali be a heel manager.

Right, if the fighters want to talk like they're in a play or movie and not act like this is actually real life, then they have what's coming to them

Again, if Ali is going around slapping people who don't deserve it, then that's a discussion worth having

Wow, free agent Bones, so many good camps out there. Will he want a camp built around him or would he be willing to go to a mega camp

With Whitman winning three big fights yesterday, do you guys still give much credence to the fight team mentality?

I always felt like with a GSP, JBJ, or Conor…a lot of credit was given to the coaches when the fighters were themselves obsessive, once in a lifetime fighting prodigies with incredible fight IQ.

Jon could easily go to Whitman to improve his boxing. Go to AKA to work on his wrestling. SanfordMMA for kick boxing.

Are teams like Jackson/Wink, Firas Zihabi, Serra-Longo still relevant with their old tech?

Right, if the fighters want to talk like they're in a play or movie and not act like this is actually real life, then they have what's coming to them

Again, if Ali is going around slapping people who don't deserve it, then that's a discussion worth having
I 100 agree. If he wants to make radical comments about Black Lives Matter, peoples family (Usman and Masvidal), etc…he can’t pull that Conor McGregor BS. You saw what happened after the Khabib/Conor fight. Some people are built different.

With Whitman winning three big fights yesterday, do you guys still give much credence to the fight team mentality?

I always felt like with a GSP, JBJ, or Conor…a lot of credit was given to the coaches when the fighters were themselves obsessive, once in a lifetime fighting prodigies with incredible fight IQ.

Jon could easily go to Whitman to improve his boxing. Go to AKA to work on his wrestling. SanfordMMA for kick boxing.

Are teams like Jackson/Wink, Firas Zihabi, Serra-Longo still relevant with their old tech?
Tbh, we don't know how willing someone like Whitman is going to accept a new fighter. The main selling point/benefit of that camp is that he can focus on individual fighters more

Also I'm guessing most fighters don't have that option of simply ala carte their training camps. That probably would cost a lot of money not to mention living quarters, personal responsibilities to family etc.

While that would seem ideal, there's probably a reason that no fighter actually does this

The older camps should be judged on an individual basis to make declarations

So who do you think are the top and most relevant camps right now?

I do agree on Whitman 💯.

And it’s unrealistic to a la carte until you start making money. But going back to that GOAT WW. Dude was getting boxing from Roach (that jab was mad sick). He was getting BJJ from Danaher (SP). And obviously Firas was nearby and trusted confidant.

Yeah I feel like someone like Jon with his resources could definitely do what GSP did

There are so many good camps rn honestly. They're all diff too so that's kinda what makes it tough to make any type of declaration of which archetype is best

Yeah I feel like someone like Jon with his resources could definitely do what GSP did

There are so many good camps rn honestly. They're all diff too so that's kinda what makes it tough to make any type of declaration of which archetype is best

Jon the polar opposite to GSP when it comes to character/moral fibre though.

I don't know if camps/fighters will be lining up to work with this dude at this point.

Sure he's got the bag but the baggage he walking round with will make some/many reluctant i'm sure.

Jon the polar opposite to GSP when it comes to character/moral fibre though.

I don't know if camps/fighters will be lining up to work with this dude at this point.

Sure he's got the bag but the baggage he walking round with will make some/many reluctant i'm sure.
You're not wrong, they might not want that publicity or distraction

On the Jones topic, he's now been out of the sport for basically 2 years. His next fight he could be pushing 2.5 years. At some point that **** does catch up to you, especially with going to a new division

He was already losing his mystique against Santos and Reyes, I think it's fair to question what Jon is and good is he at this point

Jones is kind of known for being toxic, so I think it will be pretty difficult to find a top coach that is willing to put up with all that.

As long as you say what it is. If it’s just coaching and not babysitting, what’s the harm?

SanfordMMA still rocks with Rumble.

It’s always nice to have that game plan and team though. Despite their waning relevance, WinkleJohn/Jackson would provide that environment, coaching/game planning.

Rumble been with Hooft/Sanford since the Jaco/Blackzillians days. Like Jones, he has had his troubles, though Jones’ are arguably more frequent and more recent.

If Hooft kicked out Rumble, it would be like Jackson Wink removing Jones. It’s not like Hooft took Rumble in on the heels of his past transgressions.

Like I said, gonna be a sad way to go out for Jorge if he loses his grudge match to Leon and then loses his blood feud with Colby. He gonna have to retire on those two losses. Ouch

Jones inactivity is worrisome to be honest.

He might catch an L a couple if fights in from the hiatus.

Like I said, gonna be a sad way to go out for Jorge if he loses his grudge match to Leon and then loses his blood feud with Colby. He gonna have to retire on those two losses. Ouch

I agree.......but then he has Nate to fight in his back pocket so he can make a quick bag and get a W under his belt as well.

Back
Top Bottom