The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Can't see how Ferguson wins that matchup though.

At least there's Embedded episodes featuring Tony Ferguson to look forward to and the comments that comes with it. :rofl:

Can't see how Ferguson wins that matchup though.

At least there's Embedded episodes featuring Tony Ferguson to look forward to and the comments that comes with it. :rofl:
Feel the same about Ferguson, he'll have to weather the early storm from Chandler which I'm not sure he will. Also, he needs to come out aggressive from the jump and not wait around so much like he often does, tough task but I just want to see one more good performance even if the odds are stacked against him.

His workouts and comments leading up to the fight should be entertaining.

Cejudo played the game wrong. Not that he had the draw that Israel and Jorge have but you can't leave expecting Dana to want you back.

And I guess PVZ career as a fighter is done. Perhaps she'll win a fake fight as apposed to a real one :lol:
I honestly wonder how the smaller star fighters are paid? Henry had two things going against him: Dana didn't like/need him and Henry is small

Now that they're in the ESPN era, that's a third thing working against Henry

But yeah, like, I wonder how much Aljo/Yan/Moreno/Figgy are being paid

Henry burned his bridge with Dana and calling out you want to be paid and taking shots at other fighters isn’t the way to do it.

Happy to see Paige finally in a good home and probably being compensated well. She couldn’t catch a break in BKFC.

I know Tony is going to get slept by chandler, but I hope he can prove us all wrong and give one good performance.

If Cejudo fought Volk though, I'd be interested in seeing that fight. Just not sure what weight class they can fight in.

If Cejudo fought Volk though, I'd be interested in seeing that fight. Just not sure what weight class they can fight in.
I'd like to see that fight also, it would most likely have to be at FW as I can't see it any other way. Hopefully the UFC makes the Volk/Max fight sometime early this fall or earlier if Volk comes out unscathed against KZ (all respect to KZ but I see Volk dominating from bell to bell however long the fight goes). After that we shall see what the future of the FW division is but I'd still be surprised if Cejudo fought Volk should he beat Max.

I honestly wonder how the smaller star fighters are paid? Henry had two things going against him: Dana didn't like/need him and Henry is small

Now that they're in the ESPN era, that's a third thing working against Henry

But yeah, like, I wonder how much Aljo/Yan/Moreno/Figgy are being paid
Reported payout by CA commission for 270

Figgy 150k flat no win bonus
Moreno 200k {coming in as champ} flat

So severely underpaid for the lower weight classes. I think maybe Aljo/Yan would float around 200-275k flat.

There was an article a long time ago about Cejudo telling Khabib he got paid around 200k for one of the 135 title fight he was in and Khabib told him he should be getting paid way more. I'm guessing he's asking for about 350+ like how the FW/LW champs make.

All underpaid for being the so called best in the world.

It makes sense because Vettori is friends with Strickland so even though they would probably be willing to fight I guess Strickland can take on Costa or Rockhold

It seems like Whittaker and Vettori are the two best outside of Izzy. Cannonier is cool, he'll prob get the next title shot anyway

Give Skinny Rob props for keeping it moving. Marvin and him aren't fighting Izzy anytime soon. Gatekeeper status while Cannonier challenges Izzy.

As far as the smaller fighter pay conversation, it's not the fact they're small, it's the fact they're not a draw. The only ones who can negotiate are the ones who can bring butts to seats. Ronda and Amanda are/were both 135ers. And you could tell UFC was getting behind Cody.

Issue is...unless it's a major highlight...or the person has a gift of gab...or the UFC is shoving them down our throat a la Ronda, Sugar Shawn, Cody, Conor, etc...there's no way for someone to get "big."

The CCC schtick didn't start until the TJ fight. So really...just three fights. He was on a run beating legends. But it's not like he was getting mainstream accolades. This was all before the ESPN era.

Dana is petty. Henry probably shouldn't have "retired" and then complained about fighter pay. Not even Ali can help that dude.

Nah, it's because they're "small", man, especially the 125'ers. They're not a draw because they're small

You can't bring Ronda into this because she was a once in a lifetime scenario. Amanda being the face of women's MMA after Ronda, yeah you kinda figured she'd get taken care of as well

It goes back to the "oh I could take that guy" by the average fan. I feel like so many fans felt this way when they watched DJ fight or any of the 125'ers

Now at 135 if feels like that tide is starting to finally shift but still don't get the actual credit that division deserves pay/respect wise

What about Holly? They pushed her as well until she lost to Miesha. But Holly has gotten many opportunities.

What about Cody?

You can't negotiate for more money if you don't bring anything to the table. It's as simple as that. The reason why Izzy can be the second highest paid UFC athlete is because he draws and is a popular athlete (see the UFC 4 Cover). Same with Masvidal, despite being a 170 pounder. Conor was a huge star at 145.

Pacman is a small dude. So was Floyd. It all boils down to a popularity contest and if they bring butts to seats or get folks to tune in. I'm not saying there isn't mystique to HW champions. But I'm sure there was a difference in pay between Brock Lesnar and a guy like Stipe or DC.

I mean, Dana basically was exterminating the 125 division. That's all that really needs to be said there

Holly's career contracts have been all over the board. When she beat Ronda she became a star and got paid like one. However after when she lost to Tate she went back to $30k/30k. Being that she's a "company woman" Dana takes care of her though, she's always in title talks

Cody was one of the few smaller guys that was always pushed + paid and always seemingly one fight away from a title

He was delivering knockouts and even in his losses he was tagging his opponents and made it fan friendly fights. He had a "look". So I get why he got the battery in his back

Back
Top Bottom