The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Not everyone can be a non casual like Halle Berry.

Imagine being a NBA enthusiast in 2004ish and marveling at the beauty of Detroit Pistons basketball. Izzy is kind of like that. Just because it’s not exciting doesn’t mean it can’t be art or high level.

Not everyone can be a non casual like Halle Berry.

Imagine being a NBA enthusiast in 2004ish and marveling at the beauty of Detroit Pistons basketball. Izzy is kind of like that. Just because it’s not exciting doesn’t mean it can’t be art or high level.

I think a better comparison to the point MAGA Pratt was making would be if Ben Wallace would come out before games and tell the world they were going to completely* outscore whoever they playing that night and instead put on a defensive low scoring show.

THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

And I get it that he has to sell tickets.

I think a lot of us felt we were watching the current peak of this sport as he absolutely dismantled the then #6 p4p fighter, who’s also in his prime and weight class.

Izzy couldn’t do that to a relative nobody in Cannonier who isn’t sniffing the p4p rankings. Covington isn’t there either and Usman had a much tighter fight against him that went to a decision.

Volk is the best p4p currently. Which is why we could even have the conversation of him moving up to lightweight and hanging after he’s been babying his division.

It was the “I’m not a fighter, I don’t know this game BUT” for me and then goes on to **** on the best thing smoking LMAO

Idiot

I think prefacing with that instead of pretending to be an expert is better. In the end of the day it’s fine for lay people to have an opinion on what they saw. Ish was boring to most people. I fell asleep for a moment and I wasn’t the only one, after jumping out of my seat the previous fight.

Seems like more people have been understanding that some people like the conservative skillful counter-puncher, but if you prefer expressive and damaging fighters you’re all of the sudden a small brain with an invalid opinion.

A recent fight that comes to mind was Ankalaev who had the main event and got boo’d after just counterpunching for a decision. It’s a common opinion even by fans who are into it enough to travel and pay for tickets that people find it boring especially when the opponent isn’t being reckless either.

It’s like in soccer if two teams just sit back and pack in the box waiting to counterattack. People appreciate winning, but what they appreciate more is winning beautifully and with style, and it goes across different sports. Which is why teams like classic Brazil sides and Barcelona go down in history. Real Madrid has fired coaches who won them championships because it wasn’t stylish and awe-inspiring enough. For a dude named stylebender, most of the style last fight was in his walk up.

Can’t blame Izzy for cannonier coasting though

Cannonier not gonna win the belt doing whatever he was trying to do on Saturday….so I mean if there HAS TO BE BLAME, blame the challenger for wasting his title shot riding his bike around izzy all night

Can’t blame Izzy for cannonier coasting though

Cannonier not gonna win the belt doing whatever he was trying to do on Saturday….so I mean if there HAS TO BE BLAME, blame the challenger for wasting his title shot riding his bike around izzy all night
I think Anderson and izzy both suffered to this dynamic of opponents fighting not to lose

On the flip side conor became what he became because he called his shots and followed through. Difference being his opponents were so emotional they’d fight sloppy

Just food for thought

Volk is getting the benefit of recency bias. Usman and Izzy have way better résumés. Just because you don’t like the way Izzy fights doesn’t discredit his wins. Volk was straight up gifted a decision in the 2nd Max fight.

Max X3, Aldo, Chad Mendes, Ortega, KZ, Elkins…his FW resume probably needs some more meat.

I think Volk should be #2 on the P4P. And think he should be #1 IF he beats Oliviera or Mahkachev. He seems like he’s the more complete MMA fighter than Izzy. And he has the uncanny ability to make adjustments during a fight. Other than prime JBJ, not many have it to the degree Volk does.

Izzy definitely has defended the belt more. And been busier. And you’re right, over his UFC career, Izzy has the better resume.

Izzy has literally cleaned out the division. Beat the 2 top guys twice. You're having to go on the back end of the top 10 for fresh matchups.

It goes Izzy, Volk, Usman imo. If Usman beats Edward's real convincingly then it'll probably change again.

Isn’t recency bias an acceptable thing to have for p4p rankings though? It’s not solely a who’s had the greater career discussion. It’s a who’s been the best and baddest man in the game recently discussion. And now with Volk taking his game very clearly to another level and just dominating fights, he seems like arguably the best p4p to me.

It’s a very subjective thing so I respect if someone’s opinion is any of him, Usman, or Izzy. And if Charles gets a few more quality finishes he’ll be there too. But there were a lot of people including myself watching him this past weekend that felt that by dismantling the 6th ranked p4p fighter he made a damn good case. He left Max in the dust in every way with the speed, sharpness, and power of his correct decisions and strikes. It was a sight to behold, and built on what he showed us in his mismatch against Korean Zombie. His elite mentality completes the package.

Last edited:
Isn’t recency bias an acceptable thing to have for p4p rankings though? It’s not solely a who’s had the greater career discussion. It’s a who’s been the best and baddest man in the game recently discussion. And now with Volk taking his game very clearly to another level and just dominating fights, he seems like arguably the best p4p to me.

Usman has 2 KOs and 1 UD in his last 3 fights (Colby, Masvidal, and Burns). You’re really telling me that Volk getting 3 UDs against (Max, Zombie, and Ortega) is more impressive?

Usman has 2 KOs and 1 UD in his last 3 fights (Colby, Masvidal, and Burns). You’re really telling me that Volk getting 3 UDs against (Max, Zombie, and Ortega) is more impressive?
Tbh actually I think there’s an argument to be made for volk as much as I like usman

To start, zombie got tko’d

Jorge is not great, I’m sorry but he really isn’t an elite fighter. Let’s be honest he may have never been. Zombie at this point in his career is probably around the same caliber. Both of them got the brakes beat off them= wash

Colby vs max- you could call their caliber a wash. Argument could be made colby and max are the clear second best fighters in their divisions

Usman arguably lost against colby in the rematch. If anything it was a razor close fight just like the majority of their first fight

Volk legit shut max down and styled on him something like we’ve never seen anyone do to him. Max was destroying everyone en route to the volk trilogy fight, like really skating. To see max shut out like that and that gash- that was eye opening

Burns vs Ortega: I think to me that’s another wash. Both of these guys are clearly near the top 3 in their division. Both at elite levels when they fought for the belt

Burns dropped and rocked usman something vicious but recovered and got the impressive knockout

Volk almost got subbed a few times and was turning tomato red. After he escaped though he put a savage beating on Ortega, like an uncomfortable to watch type beating

To me personally Volk’s last 3 wins > usmans last 3

Usman is still P4P king. Ain’t no way Izzy can be P4P after winning all those snooze fests and getting dominated by Jan. Only way Volk or anybody hops over Usman is if Usman loses imo.

Tbh actually I think there’s an argument to be made for volk as much as I like usman

To start, zombie got tko’d

Jorge is not great, I’m sorry but he really isn’t an elite fighter. Let’s be honest he may have never been. Zombie at this point in his career is probably around the same caliber. Both of them got the brakes beat off them= wash

Colby vs max- you could call their caliber a wash. Argument could be made colby and max are the clear second best fighters in their divisions

Usman arguably lost against colby in the rematch. If anything it was a razor close fight just like the majority of their first fight

Volk legit shut max down and styled on him something like we’ve never seen anyone do to him. Max was destroying everyone en route to the volk trilogy fight, like really skating. To see max shut out like that and that gash- that was eye opening

Burns vs Ortega: I think to me that’s another wash. Both of these guys are clearly near the top 3 in their division. Both at elite levels when they fought for the belt

Burns dropped and rocked usman something vicious but recovered and got the impressive knockout

Volk almost got subbed a few times and was turning tomato red. After he escaped though he put a savage beating on Ortega, like an uncomfortable to watch type beating

To me personally Volk’s last 3 wins > usmans last 3
My counter to that would be Max winning the second fight arguably. But Volk has definitely come back to silence all the haters.

Also Usman/Covington was definitely a close fight once Colby stopped respecting Usman’s striking.

Usman’s reign has been just as dominating as Izzy’s. WW was a little stagnant but new blood in Brady, Chimaev, and Rahkmonov are now in the mix. MW not so much. Alex is literally being gifted the title match because no one else has made a credible reason why they should challenge Izzy.
Usman is still P4P king. Ain’t no way Izzy can be P4P after winning all those snooze fests and getting dominated by Jan. Only way Volk or anybody hops over Usman is if Usman loses imo.
Usman is definitely #1. Next month will add some clarity. And I’m sure Izzy will fight again before year’s end. Not sure about Volk. He hasn’t been a busy champ.

Back
Top Bottom