The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

I dunno daaahhhg

Black folks been running MMA for a long time, I don't think this is baseball homie.

-Jon is considered the unanimous GOAT, MMA's longest standing champion, one of the highest paid UFC guys in all time earnings, multiple big name sponsorships, HOF......
-Anderson is considered the best striker of all time, was UFC long standing champion, was the FACE of the UFC, and made ALOT of money during his run., multiple sponsorships, HOF
-Rampage was the highest paid UFC champion during his time, was the face of the UFC and had many sponsorships and media opportunities OUTSIDE MMA
-Demetrius is considered the most complete fighter of all time, top 3 by many, might not have made the money the others did (DUE TO HIS SIZE NOT SKIN COLOR) but was still paid handsomely compared to his white peers, long standing champion, sponsorships HOF
-Francis Nganuu...the UFC pushed him SO HARD before he was even champion and gave him the conor treatment, UFC champion, paid more than 80% of the roster, many endorsments outside of MMA

Agree with all of this except the Rampage part. I never considered him the face of the UFC. That time period was still the Spider's.

touché

Yeah Anderson was the face

Rampage was the new kid on the block...was getting that push heavy by UFC/Monster.

I remember seeing Rampage in a NIKE commercial

Chimaev fighting in America just seems unlikely at this point. It sucks but that’s what happens when you’re close to these warlords

His visa situation could really be a hurdle for his legacy

touché

Yeah Anderson was the face

Rampage was the new kid on the block...was getting that push heavy by UFC/Monster.

I remember seeing Rampage in a NIKE commercial

He definitely had an insane amount of hype and was a clear fan favorite. Probably moreso than any of the big name guys coming straight from PRIDE. Then he disposed of Chuck with the quickness :lol:

Conor or Ronda are one of a kind athletes that captivated audiences. Conor had that smooth trash talk, represented Ireland and was an exciting fighter. Ronda was the “face” of women’s MMA that the UFC first hitched their carriage to (and haven’t really since then).

If we look at the biggest “stars” of today it’s probably Jon, then Izzy and Islam (due to religion).

I’m not saying there isn’t racism in MMA like Woodley or Aljo sort of alluded to. But I think Dana is happy if any insert gender/race/religion come out and draw numbers.

He definitely had an insane amount of hype and was a clear fan favorite. Probably moreso than any of the big name guys coming straight from PRIDE. Then he disposed of Chuck with the quickness :lol:
Rampage was a UFC fan favorite?

He got booed in his first fight with Marvin Eastman and just about every fan was rooting against him when he fought Chuck and Forrest.

…especially Forrest.

He got booed in his first fight with Marvin Eastman and just about every fan was rooting against him when he fought Chuck and Forrest.

…especially Forrest.
Yes coming from Pride he already had a big CORE following

his first few fights in the UFC was him being introduced to the American audience, I can see him getting boos fighting against more popular guys at the time.

By the time he fought chuck and Wanderlei (UFC) though, he was a star and people were familiar with him and his fighting style.

The chain, the DOG HOWL, dood had a whole act.

Most of the time you don't just come into the UFC a fan favorite, you earn it.

Yes coming from Pride he already had a big CORE following

his first few fights in the UFC was him being introduced to the American audience, I can see him getting boos fighting against more popular guys at the time.

By the time he fought chuck and Wanderlei (UFC) though, he was a star and people were familiar with him and his fighting style.

The chain, the DOG HOWL, dood had a whole act.

Most of the time you don't just come into the UFC a fan favorite, you earn it.
https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...-jackson-believes-american-fans-are-the-worst

Go back and rewatch the Forest Griffin fights against Rampage and Anderson Silva and tell me Forrest wasn’t the fan favorite in both of those fights.

Jon Jones has never been beloved by fans.

Chimaev fighting in America just seems unlikely at this point. It sucks but that’s what happens when you’re close to these warlords

His visa situation could really be a hurdle for his legacy

I think you’re right as well. We legit don’t see khamzat fight in the US again.

My interest in UFC has never been lower.

Fell asleep during Leon vs Colby

Maybe I’m just washed.

…especially Forrest.

I just watched the intro for his fight with Forrest.

LOL @ “just about every fan” rooting for Forrest.

Chuck and Forrest are icons and pioneers. Obviously they’re going to have their fair share of fans.

People loved Rampage too though. They ate the dog chain and howl **** up

I just watched the intro for his fight with Forrest.

LOL @ “just about every fan” rooting for Forrest.

Chuck and Forrest are icons and pioneers. Obviously they’re going to have their fair share of fans.

People loved Rampage too though. They ate the dog chain and howl **** up
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]The top-ten best-selling UFC PPVs of all-time (ranked)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10. UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor: 1,200,000 PPV Buys - $80 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9. UFC 251: Usman vs. Masvidal: 1,300,000 PPV Buys - $90 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8. UFC 205: Alvarez vs. McGregor: 1,300,000 PPV Buys - $83 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7. UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone: 1,353,429 PPV Buys - $90 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6. UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz: 1,500,000 PPV Buys - $80 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5. UFC 100: Lesnar vs. Mir II: 1,600,000 PPV Buys - $82 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4. UFC 257: McGregor v Poirier 2: 1,600,000 PPV Buys - $100 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3. UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor II: 1,650,000 PPV Buys - $90 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2. UFC 264: Poirier v McGregor 3: 1,800,000 PPV Buys - $120 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1. UFC 229: Nurmagomedov vs. McGregor: 2,400,000 PPV Buys - $180 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

No Jon Jones.

No Anderson Silva.

No Rampage.

How many of the fighters are black on that list?

…one.

That’s the only real data we have.

Everything else is just opinions.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]The top-ten best-selling UFC PPVs of all-time (ranked)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10. UFC 194: Aldo vs. McGregor: 1,200,000 PPV Buys - $80 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9. UFC 251: Usman vs. Masvidal: 1,300,000 PPV Buys - $90 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8. UFC 205: Alvarez vs. McGregor: 1,300,000 PPV Buys - $83 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7. UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone: 1,353,429 PPV Buys - $90 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6. UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz: 1,500,000 PPV Buys - $80 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5. UFC 100: Lesnar vs. Mir II: 1,600,000 PPV Buys - $82 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4. UFC 257: McGregor v Poirier 2: 1,600,000 PPV Buys - $100 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3. UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor II: 1,650,000 PPV Buys - $90 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2. UFC 264: Poirier v McGregor 3: 1,800,000 PPV Buys - $120 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1. UFC 229: Nurmagomedov vs. McGregor: 2,400,000 PPV Buys - $180 million[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

No Jon Jones.

No Anderson Silva.

No Rampage.

How many of the fighters are black on that list?

…one.

That’s the only real data we have.

Everything else is just opinions.

No Chick Liddell

No Tito Ortiz

No GSP

What’s your point? All that table proves is that the UFC is bigger now than it was in the 2000’s lol. We already knew this.

No Chick Liddell

No Tito Ortiz

No GSP

What’s your point? All that table proves is that the UFC is bigger now than it was in the 2000’s lol. We already knew this.
Jon Jones is widely regarded as the greatest fighter of all time and made his debut at heavyweight nine months ago.

When you see a list of the top ten grossing PPV s of all time and only four of the fighters in the main events are non-Caucasion, it speaks pretty loudly as to the overall preferences of the UFC fan base. And that number would’ve been roughly the same at any point in the Zuffa/post Zuffa era.

That’s my point.

…and Conor McGregor has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom