The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

I dislike them moving Garry to Anaheim

1. Gives him less time to recover
2. Takes Garry away from the Miami card which also had HoLLand… was really looking forward to their interactions
3. Miami card now looks less interesting imo

My interest in UFC has never been lower.

Fell asleep during Leon vs Colby

Maybe I’m just washed.
Honestly i get where you’re coming from. The sport has changed quite a bit especially under the espn put on a million events per year era

But for me I’ve only gotten more and more interested.. the talent throughout the world is insane if you have enough time to pay attention to it

Rampage had his own action figure lol
Rampage...who appeared in the A Team remake as BA Barracus (SP)?

Rampage who could be the subject of rap lyrics?

Rampage who headlined a card with Rashad Evans and drew 1 million PPV buys?

Sometimes I wonder if Davey Magoo Davey Magoo is a troll account or not. I can see where he's coming from. Is Rampage bigger than organic stars like Tito, Ken Shamrock, etc? I dunno.

Is Conor the UFC's biggest star? Yes. Followed by Izzy even though his numbers are nowhere as big.

It's a fair point to bring up. However, it's an apples to oranges comparison because the UFC DOES NOT PROMOTE ITS STARS SINCE THE SALE. UFC sells it product on its brand. Dana is its biggest star.
Honestly i get where you’re coming from. The sport has changed quite a bit especially under the espn put on a million events per year era

But for me I’ve only gotten more and more interested.. the talent throughout the world is insane if you have enough time to pay attention to it
The just some fights era has made it difficult to let fights, feuds, etc breathe. We darn near have a fight card every week. It's like MLB or NBA. But if the Saudi's have Riyad Season...the UFC definitely are starting the new year with a lot of heat (on paper). UFC 298, 299 and 300 are stacked.

Last edited:

I went through that phase the last two years or so but over Thanksgiving I got bored and started catching up on stuff I missed and I’m back in a good groove with it.

Jon Jones is widely regarded as the greatest fighter of all time and made his debut at heavyweight nine months ago.

When you see a list of the top ten grossing PPV s of all time and only four of the fighters in the main events are non-Caucasion, it speaks pretty loudly as to the overall preferences of the UFC fan base. And that number would’ve been roughly the same at any point in the Zuffa/post Zuffa era.

That’s my point.

…and Conor McGregor has nothing to do with it.

Yes. The UFC has a predominantly white fan base. Why is this breaking news?

I think the points of what Davey Magoo Davey Magoo brings about is actually a bit more true nowadays than back during the Silva and Rampage days tbh. The sport made a hard weird right wing turn politically.

^^^Agreed.

It's not quite like boxing where there is a larger Hispanic or black audience (not to say those communities don't enjoy the sport).

I think more Mexico/South America events and expansion into Africa might help.

But one thing we can't argue is the contribution those of African descent have made to MMA. You look at Mount Rushmore...and DJ, Anderson Silva and Jon Jones are considered GOATs.

I think the points of what Davey Magoo Davey Magoo brings about is actually a bit more true nowadays than back during the Silva and Rampage days tbh. The sport made a hard weird right wing turn politically.
You're saying the political decisions the company has made like parading out the Far Right Avengers out during events (Tucker Carlson, Donald Trump, Donald Trump JR, Dana White, etc)?

Yeah I'd blame that one on Dana for making Trump a mascot. No secret what that was gonna do. Spawned millions of new fans that all fit a certain profile.

I wish religion and politics could be kept out of sports personally.

Yeah I'd blame that one on Dana for making Trump a mascot. No secret what that was gonna do. Spawned millions of new fans that all fit a certain profile.

I wish religion and politics could be kept out of sports personally.
Agreed. But with attempts at garnering revenue from the Middle East...even Uncle Dana has to walk a fine line. If they expand more into China or decide to hold events in Africa, that's also a consideration.

Honestly the politics don’t bother me at all. Neither does the religion

I never feel like they’re making you vote republican or that they’re trashing all other political parties . I’m talking about the ufc

Also if there was a left wing mascot or persona that came out I doubt Dana or the ufc would shut them down

It seems to me like they simply don’t care about anything besides the flag ban

We’ve seen them let so many fighters get away with stuff from all angles

We’ve seen them let different religions be boasted and preached

Now in terms of the American fighters and fans themselves im sure they’ve always been right wing. They’re just louder now. But again even they don’t bother me it’s a free country, they’re gonna do what they do. It takes nothing away from the fight experience for me

If anything in the past I took great pleasure in watching trump fighters take losses and get knocked out. But I honestly don’t care like that anymore

Bo just went on with rogan and talked about trump. Before I’d root for him to lose… now… I couldn’t give a **** less lol. Until someone gets racial or something that’s when I’ll hope they’ll get concussed

I'm just saying what Davey said rings true to the sport nowadays with black fighters/champions. I mean we've seen it in Aljos title run alone.

I don’t think aljo’s hate between Dana and the fans had anything to do with him being black

I truly believe that

But we’ve all been over our opinions on Sterling so it’s a dead horse

I'm just saying what Davey said rings true to the sport nowadays with black fighters/champions. I mean we've seen it in Aljos title run alone.
See...

It's tough. I thought Woodley and Aljo were insufferable. And they probably were to Dana too. Woodley definitely suggested there was racism toward him.

But it probably doesn't help Colby being there decrying BLM.

When fans chant "USA" for your opponent, when you were born in NY, there's only one way to take that. If you dont see the racist connotations in that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Same thing happened with Belal in the Apex. He's from Chicago. Paul Felder called the person out in the crowd doing it with a quickness.

A group of *******s =/= the majority of the fanbase

Colby was just boo’d by probably the same group of people that would do that

Fans are going to fan. But overall I don’t think fans hated aljo because he was black. A segment of them, sure, but the majority hated him for a host of other reasons completely unrelated to race

You’re never going to not have a racist or racists in a given group. Again majority of fans don’t hate Belal because he’s not white. I don’t believe that at all. They hate him because a number of other reasons

When fans chant "USA" for your opponent, when you were born in NY, there's only one way to take that. If you dont see the racist connotations in that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Same thing happened with Belal in the Apex. He's from Chicago. Paul Felder called the person out in the crowd doing it with a quickness.
That's fair. Henry was chirping on how he was going to bring the belt back to the US when he was going to fight Aljo. Does it make any sense? No. And there are possible inherent racial implications.

But we all know that Aljo doesn't do himself any favors.

Back
Top Bottom