The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

When fans chant "USA" for your opponent, when you were born in NY, there's only one way to take that. If you dont see the racist connotations in that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Same thing happened with Belal in the Apex. He's from Chicago. Paul Felder called the person out in the crowd doing it with a quickness.

Happened this weekend too on the prelims - forget who was fighting but I turned around and told them off.

I will say again - the crowd was very 50/50 this weekend. Most around me booed when Trump came in.

Happened this weekend too on the prelims - forget who was fighting but I turned around and told them off.

I will say again - the crowd was very 50/50 this weekend. Most around me booed when Trump came in.
I may be wrong but I think I heard it try to start in the Menfield/Jacoby fight. Alonzo is again, born in the US.

That's fair. Henry was chirping on how he was going to bring the belt back to the US when he was going to fight Aljo. Does it make any sense? No. And there are possible inherent racial implications.

But we all know that Aljo doesn't do himself any favors.
Just trolling, playing up the fact that aljo reps Jamaica. Probably the same with those other idiots chanting usa

I felt like dricus was definitely racial in his initial comment but Henry just playing around imo

Just trolling, playing up the fact that aljo reps Jamaica. Probably the same with those other idiots chanting usa

I felt like dricus was definitely racial in his initial comment but Henry just playing around imo
Ignorant comments with underlying racial undertones due to the history of Apartheid. Dricus was also the person who made fun of childhood trauma and revisiting it in his fight with Sean Strickland.

And I mean...doesn't Henry the song of Mexican immigrants rep Mexico? Isn't that where they want wall built.

Just need to leave Xenophobia out of MMA.

Ignorant comments with underlying racial undertones due to the history of Apartheid. Dricus was also the person who made fun of childhood trauma and revisiting it in his fight with Sean Strickland.

And I mean...doesn't Henry the song of Mexican immigrants rep Mexico? Isn't that where they want wall built.

Just need to leave Xenophobia out of MMA.

Or just life, the world, the Galaxy… it’s absurd. So sick of all the hate in this world.

A group of *******s =/= the majority of the fanbase

Colby was just boo’d by probably the same group of people that would do that

Fans are going to fan. But overall I don’t think fans hated aljo because he was black. A segment of them, sure, but the majority hated him for a host of other reasons completely unrelated to race

You’re never going to not have a racist or racists in a given group. Again majority of fans don’t hate Belal because he’s not white. I don’t believe that at all. They hate him because a number of other reasons
I'll leave it at this.

Im not saying they hate these fighters because they're black, but to ignore that it plays a part after the sport itself took a hard right turn is just flat out wrong.

You can play up what Henry does or say as trolling but anything with racial undertones to it is still racism my guy. Him comparing Aljo to aunt Jemima is racist as hell no matter if its a joke or he didn't intend it to be racist.

Not saying it's ALL the fans but we know who the majority are watching the sport and its not people like us in this thread. Well, most people in this thread.

I don’t think aljo’s hate between Dana and the fans had anything to do with him being black

I truly believe that

But we’ve all been over our opinions on Sterling so it’s a dead horse
Woodley and Aljo were just DIVA's who wanted to hold onto that belt and squeeze as much outside of the octagon as they could....which I cant be mad at.

But Woodley in particular was acting CRAZY

Ain’t nobody ignoring race, I literally said there’s racist fans and that’s in every sport

I just think it’s being overblown in the Sterling situation. Acting like he didn’t do so many things to make people hate him outside of race

Race has always been a factor in MMA and will likely continue to be, but as was mentioned in the thread, look at the demographics of the American UFC fan base, what else would you expect

But with that said, race has always been a factor in day to day life in America so why would you expect it to play out any different in sports, especially considering the demographics.

I think acting like race plays NO factor in fan engagement with guys like Aljo is incorrect. But I also don’t think race is the whole story either, even I was getting annoyed with some of his bs towards the end of his title run, it is what it is.

Boxing has a very different fan base and therefore a very different reaction to guys who probably wouldn’t go over so well in the ufc. It is what it is. Accept the world for what it is and move on

Shut up and dribble

Kneeling for the anthem in the nfl

Hockey fans doing what they do to black players

Soccer fans across the world doing monkey acts

**** is all over sports we see it it’s obvious

It isn’t just an mma and ufc thing

I simply don’t think Sterling’s case was race related overall. If you want to say race played a role in it, ok. But then that goes for every non white athlete who gets hate in pro sports too so I don’t see the point

Mostly aljo got his hate for completely different reasons. Just my opinion

They are really taking their time with nickal.. brundage has bad losses…

Probably won't happen, but praying for MAGA Bo's downfall...
91YKXzp.gif

I never understood getting mad at Aljo because Yan threw an illegal knee. You're supposed to let dude hit you with a crazy illegal knee at full power while you're not defending midway through a title fight you're potentially losing and just tough it out?

If that knee compromised or concussed him and he lost the rest of the fight, and he never got another title shot because he's more of a boring type wrestler like his buddy Merab, **** it, it is what it is right? At least he made the fanboys happy?

Once Aljo came back and beat Yan in the rematch all that should've been deaded.

I think Aljo just got annoying because of what seemed like too much whining to me, and too much wanting the fans to validate him. He shoulda really leaned into the villain role instead of damn near pleading with people to like him imo.

At first glance everyone thought Aljo was acting and selling it. Clearly he got hit flush but people are gonna people

They never really let go of that plus the images of him celebrating that night with the belt

Aljo did lean into being a villain... I think he leaned all the way into it and then tried to then do a 180. He kept toeing the line of wanting to be accepted and being the heel

Add to this after he beat Cejudo he egged on the crowd and Dana by really going hard at O'Malley in the cage. He was hellbent on proving that O'Malley was nothing but a product of Dana's hype... which fans generally love O'Malley and were just waiting for him to become champ plus were waiting for Aljo to lose

Lots of things just stacked against Sterling unfortunately for him

Yeah I just wanted him to lean all the way in, no backtracking

At the end of the day love and hate both work when it comes to selling tickets, all he had to do was keep winning

Why didn’t dude use O’Malley and Boston as his example of racism in America?

Or the fact Aljo wasn’t granted a rematch? Dude got boxed out. He should at least get a chance to run it back.

Even worse O’Malley got Dana White privileged and gets to face Chito. But in Sean’s defense he did lose to him. And it’s probably the best matchup on paper + guaranteed to get the fan interest. Be interesting to see how Miami reacts to Chito and Sean.

As much as I don't care for Aljo he's definitely been done dirty in some ways. But hey if he really was asking for the Katar fight then maybe UFC actually did him a solid this time and can finally stop talking about him and Merab not wanting to fight.

Here’s a list

Interesting that aljos leaving his division

Im assuming it’s because he didn’t want the merab thing conflicting with his success/ ufc got super pissed that they didn’t want to fight each other

Edit I see yall already had a convo on this

Just my worthless 2 cents:
imo race didn’t play a factor with them hating on aljo ( JUST ALJO - not saying ufc fans aren’t racist- im sure some of them are racist as hell)

But look at Jon jones - dude is the goat - nobody on earth or mars is beating that mother****er in hand to hand combat / and I have yet to meet a soul who doesn’t love seeing jones as champ

Imo ufc / the fans got tired of aljo doing the buddy buddy thing with merab ( especially since merab was number 1 contender and him and aljo both wrestling heavy would have been an amazing title fight)

Last edited:
Why didn’t dude use O’Malley and Boston as his example of racism in America?

Or the fact Aljo wasn’t granted a rematch? Dude got boxed out. He should at least get a chance to run it back.

Even worse O’Malley got Dana White privileged and gets to face Chito. But in Sean’s defense he did lose to him. And it’s probably the best matchup on paper + guaranteed to get the fan interest. Be interesting to see how Miami reacts to Chito and Sean.
Using Boston as example of racism is moot. Again there is racism in all of sports, we all know this

Salt lake, Alabama, Boston etc isn’t going to be some kind of safe haven for non whites. It doesn’t matter which sport. Can’t just make it an mma thing

Aljo wasn’t granted a rematch because they want to make money. It isn’t that complicated and sure as hell as zero to do with race. Come on man lol

Izzy meanwhile is getting a zillion chances and is Dana’s favorite. Do we have to go down a list of non whites that are getting preferential treatment by the ufc? Lol

The color that is key is green

Back
Top Bottom