The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

He didn’t mention resume but it doesn’t even matter. He was saying people are diminishing Colby’s career and skills

Yes but gus was still considered one of the best of his time

If your main beef is that people considered him the second best, then I guess nobody can truly prove that wrong

That’s not even my point anyway. Colby can have “an overrated resume” and still be one of the best of his time. Both can be true and I actually could agree with this

With that being said if he’s one of the best then saying his resume was overrated becomes less impactful
Oh, I'm not saying he was never good. He was a very good fighter. Just not elite or one of the best, and still a very overrated resume. Certainly an overachiever in the fight game.

Colby is an interesting debate.

Gilbert was literally willing to fight anyone to get back to a title match after his title loss. Khamzat, Belal, Wonder boy, Magny and Gamebred. Belal is the top WW contender and technically so is Khamzat. Those are his only losses. Hungry lions. Point is he accepted the fight offers.

There was supposed to be an ABC Khamzat/Colby fight. Never happened. And most of Colby’s last wins were against declining opponents. First opportunity, what does he do, call out Wonderboy.

I’m not taking away from his entertaining fights/feud with Usman. Or the fact he’s a poor mans Chael and Dutch Mantell which can attract attention in a sport with inarticulate sycophants.

The issue with Colby is you can't determine if he really was one of the best of his time because he didn't fight the real top contenders of the division outside of Usman. It is what it is.

Kelvin Gastelum gave Izzy the toughest fight of his career right up until Pereira/Strickland happened, but he wasn't very impressive at 185 as a whole, or even 170 for that matter.

Dom Reyes can arguably say he was the one guy to beat Jon Jones, but he's been getting thrashed every fight since then.

Styles make fights and Colby matches up well stylistically with Usman but we have no idea how he would've fared against other top contenders because he never fought them.

Then add to that the stat on guys 35 and up at 170lbs and below, and you can see that he beat a 40 year old Demien Maia, an undersized 34 year old RDA, and a worn out 37 year old Robbie Lawler to earn his title shot. Then fought a finished 38 Tyron Woodley to get his rematch with Usman. Then fought a finished 38 year old Jorge Masvidal, and even got dropped at one point in the process, to "earn" his shot at Leon Edwards.

So yeah I understand calling Colby overrated. He looked real impressive against the guys he fought and he had a strong skillset and some great fights against Usman, but he needed to show it against more top guys to really be considered elite.

Colby was legit, never seen too many doods put on a pace like that before....in any division

DC said it best, he's probably one of the guys thats done the MOST with the LEAST....

he's not the biggest, strongest or quickest guy in there but he found his niche.

Dood always fought at his natural weight and wasn't a weight bully

He might rub people the wrong way with his antics, but as far as fighting goes...the guy was as game as they come.

Ah **** I forgot Dana promised the winner of usman / khamzat would get title shot

So khamzat TECHNICALLY is next in that case right?

Again, not saying he wasnt good, he just wasnt elite. Ducking most of the divisions contenders and calling out/waiting for fights with older out of prime guys is not being game. blackcease blackcease said it perfectly up there. I'm done talking Colby, agree to disagree.

Bout to be the dead weeks in the fight game. We've got almost a month til the ufc comes back. Rizin NYE is the only big event to look forward to. Smh.

Ah **** I forgot Dana promised the winner of usman / khamzat would get title shot

So khamzat TECHNICALLY is next in that case right?
Like Vincent Van Goat Vincent Van Goat said…we trying to generate content, fulfill the ESPN contract, boost the TKO stock price and value of the company, DDP agreed to the fight so he got the next title shot. Was he technically the #1 contender, yes. But as you said, them two welterweights fought back in October for a title shot smh.

It makes no sense. Don’t try to make any. They don’t tink like Dana tink.

This went under the radar. A+!
Wild. That man was twitching in his KO induced seizure. I hope that didn’t cut his career short. He also has to be careful of what he speaks into existence.

Definitely ready for rahkmanov to become champ

He’s quiet, boring and dull but at least he has a 100% finishing rate lol. He goes for the kill and that is enough

Leon is so vanilla and boring in everything. Nothing about him is that moving

At this point I think shav being quiet and not speaking English only adds to the mystique of what a killer he is.

Luke Thomas pod today said what manny was to the philliphines, shavkat is about to be to Kazakhstan. His following is already incredible and just wait until he starts getting people in the states following him.

This is where mma is at. Everyone talking about men on men, it’s getting chaotic

People posting all of dricus fights where he’s kissing his coach. Sad state of affairs but expect things to get much worse at pressers and on social media since Dana isn’t going to ever step in

47E8FAF4-C9A9-4077-8971-A953C94B8F10.png

At this point I think shav being quiet and not speaking English only adds to the mystique of what a killer he is.

Luke Thomas pod today said what manny was to the philliphines, shavkat is about to be to Kazakhstan. His following is already incredible and just wait until he starts getting people in the states following him.
Yup, luke definitely brought up some good points. This is an untapped market

He also pointed out how he has over 1 million followers

Speaking of: he had torn ligament in his ankle and recorded himself going to the doctor on crutches

This will allow Belal to get that title shot and either let rakhmanov sit and wait or headline maybe a non ppv to get a 5 rounder

This is where mma is at. Everyone talking about men on men, it’s getting chaotic

People posting all of dricus fights where he’s kissing his coach. Sad state of affairs but expect things to get much worse at pressers and on social media since Dana isn’t going to ever step in
Wack. Supposedly, there is a UFC code of conduct. Talking about family, religion, sexual orientation, childhood trauma, sexual assault, etc should be off limits.

Based on some of the comments, MMA seems super homophobic to gay males. No one really bats an eye at the females.

Finally, the MMA community as a whole is throwing away Colby. Years and years and years later but it's ok :lol:

I don't think Colby cares about this though nor regrets anything to make the cash he made. He went from nothing, to almost getting axed all together to headlining PPV's when he didn't really deserve to. Mostly based off this exact act lol. It is what it is

You know what's hilarious, all the talk about how Colby sells ppvs but the man never gets ppv points. It was hilarious when someone brought up the question when he fought Masvidal and him doing all that work just to not get anything from it.

You know what's hilarious, all the talk about how Colby sells ppvs but the man never gets ppv points. It was hilarious when someone brought up the question when he fought Masvidal and him doing all that work just to not get anything from it.
it’s not that surprising tbh

Dana was already doing him favors with the matchmaking so it was his way of getting something in return. Colby still put himself into positions x3 to get them based off his annoying act

He cashed out more than he should have despite non ppv points throughout his career. I’m sure he can still turn into a “good guy” after he retires or at least have the chance to

47E8FAF4-C9A9-4077-8971-A953C94B8F10.png
Dana did step in...

He said PPV buys went up 25% after Colby said what he said, and something to the effect of do with that you will.

I.E. not only does he condone it, he's actively encouraging being a POS. There are no lines, anything for a buck. Say what you will, racist, misogynist, homophobic, no consequences cuz " it's the fight business"

Someone gunna end up hurt bad, masvidals dad shot his own friend of 20 years at Jorges house. You have no idea how unhinged family members may or may not be. Who would be surprised if Leon's sister buck fiftyd Colby? Her brothers are two of the most dangerous men on the planet and they all grew up in Kingston

Back
Top Bottom