The NBA Draft Thread

Ben Simmons is by far the better prospect. He still would have been the #1 pick in this draft. Basically every draft over the past 10 years besides the ones with Anthony Davis, Oden/KD and maybe John Wall.
Over Towns? Even if he can't defend, protect the rim or shoot

Fun column up on Seth Davis' new site with some classic on the record takes from Draft time past :lol:

1996: "(Allen Iverson) is not even a Nick Van Exel. He’s just a product of the Big East hype machine.”- Skip Bayless talking about Allen Iverson being the #1 pick in the draft.

1996: "We’re talking about Kobe Bryant and Predrag Stojakovic. Let’s not even think about them in the same breath. Predrag is much better and shouldn’t even be on the same court as Bryant.” -- NBA’s Director of Scouting Marty Blake

2000: "Darius Miles is leaping out of East St. Louis (Ill.) High School...and straight for stardom. The Nets can’t let him pass. They’ve got the No. 1 pick. Maybe they can trade down to No. 4 and get him. Maybe they have to hold on to the top pick to do it. Whatever it takes. Thorn, the Nets president, has to get him. The next great one is here, wth no reservations on life with the Nets." -- Adrian Wojnarowski

2003: “At the risk of blasphemy, I don’t take LeBron James. If I have the No. 1 pick and can somehow trade it while still getting Carmelo Anthony, that’s what I do. I trade the rights to James to a team desperate enough to give me value for all the overinflated hype James brings with him. LeBron James is going to disappoint us. He isn’t going to live up to his unprecedented hype. He isn’t ‘can’t miss.’ He is the new generation’s first ‘can’t win’ kid..." -- Dan Le Batard

2007: "(The number 1 pick debate) is over. No other argument. Any talk show host. Any emailer, any caller that goes on and says that Durant should be number one, isn’t doing their homework or is trying to incite calls and be controversial. Greg Oden is the number one pick. It’s all over. Thanks for flying United. It’s all over. Listen, I’m not a big fan of centers, drafting Centers, because like 70–80 percent are flops. But you are telling me that I can draft just another wing guy. Just another guy who, you know, he’s got Antonio McDyess written all over him. (Durant will) be a good player, but he’s just another wing guy." -- Colin Cowherd

2009: "(Steph Curry) doesnt have the upside of Ricky Rubio. Jennings, Flynn, Mills, Teague all more athletic." -- Doug Gottleib

2010: "There’s no way you can pass up a talent like Evan Turner. He’s a combo guard. I think immediately, he’s going to be better than John Wall. There’s a learning curve for John Wall.” -- Reggie Miller

https://sethsdrafthouse.com/nba-draft-freezing-cold-takes-1d5b895ecf7a

We are all guessing.

Yuuppppppppp. No one can know how anyone is gonna adapt and progress in the league. Some dudes just stop giving it their best once those checks start coming in.
I mean think about it: you've been broke for 18 years and now you're making 50-100k a week before taxes if youre taken 1-15

Last edited:
Fun column up on Seth Davis' new site with some classic on the record takes from Draft time past
laugh.gif

1996: "(Allen Iverson) is not even a Nick Van Exel. He’s just a product of the Big East hype machine.”- Skip Bayless talking about Allen Iverson being the #1 pick in the draft.

1996: "We’re talking about Kobe Bryant and Predrag Stojakovic. Let’s not even think about them in the same breath. Predrag is much better and shouldn’t even be on the same court as Bryant.” -- NBA’s Director of Scouting Marty Blake

2000: "Darius Miles is leaping out of East St. Louis (Ill.) High School...and straight for stardom. The Nets can’t let him pass. They’ve got the No. 1 pick. Maybe they can trade down to No. 4 and get him. Maybe they have to hold on to the top pick to do it. Whatever it takes. Thorn, the Nets president, has to get him. The next great one is here, wth no reservations on life with the Nets." -- Adrian Wojnarowski

2003: “At the risk of blasphemy, I don’t take LeBron James. If I have the No. 1 pick and can somehow trade it while still getting Carmelo Anthony, that’s what I do. I trade the rights to James to a team desperate enough to give me value for all the overinflated hype James brings with him. LeBron James is going to disappoint us. He isn’t going to live up to his unprecedented hype. He isn’t ‘can’t miss.’ He is the new generation’s first ‘can’t win’ kid..." -- Dan Le Batard

2007: "(The number 1 pick debate) is over. No other argument. Any talk show host. Any emailer, any caller that goes on and says that Durant should be number one, isn’t doing their homework or is trying to incite calls and be controversial. Greg Oden is the number one pick. It’s all over. Thanks for flying United. It’s all over. Listen, I’m not a big fan of centers, drafting Centers, because like 70–80 percent are flops. But you are telling me that I can draft just another wing guy. Just another guy who, you know, he’s got Antonio McDyess written all over him. (Durant will) be a good player, but he’s just another wing guy." -- Colin Cowherd

2009: "(Steph Curry) doesnt have the upside of Ricky Rubio. Jennings, Flynn, Mills, Teague all more athletic." -- Doug Gottleib

2010: "There’s no way you can pass up a talent like Evan Turner. He’s a combo guard. I think immediately, he’s going to be better than John Wall. There’s a learning curve for John Wall.” -- Reggie Miller

Just goes to show why you gotta draft who you believe will be the best, no matter the immediate backlash. 

Celtics finally received Josh Jackson's medicals, but he still won't workout for Boston. C's still debating but appear to be leaning Tatum

Fun column up on Seth Davis' new site with some classic on the record takes from Draft time past :lol:

They forgot the all-time best draft take. From Phil Jackson's buddy Charley Rosen:

View media item 2471722
View media item 2471721

Ben Simmons is by far the better prospect. He still would have been the #1 pick in this draft. Basically every draft over the past 10 years besides the ones with Anthony Davis, Oden/KD and maybe John Wall.

Buc Em always saying something funny

I've reading the latest draft board and I really like Markkanen at 14 with Miami. That will be his best situation with Dallas in second place if Noel reaches his defensive potential.

RONDOOOOOO
Ainge did a draft day trade for him so these dudes probably won't count it...

And they like to make fun of Ainge, yet teams like the Lakers and Sixers haven't drafted an all-star in 10+ years either...

Back
Top Bottom