The Official 2008 Chicago Bulls Off Season Thread: BG Signs 1 Year Deal; No one cares; BASEBALL FTW

Gray played pretty good tonight. But a big name is what we need, but i dont think luck will be on our side to get a top 5 pick. We will see though, should be ainteresting off season

yeahup...new coach indeed.
we need a big man that can score that's forsure.
hopefully pax makes the right moves...

[h1]Chicago Bulls fire interim coach Jim Boylan[/h1]
By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer * minutes ago

• [h5][/h5] Buzz Up
  • [h5]Print[/h5]

DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP)-The Chicago Bulls fired interim coach Jim Boylanon Thursday, likely the first of many changes after a disappointing season.

Boylan was let go after a morning meeting with general manager John Paxson, according to a person close to the situation who requested anonymity because theofficial announcement had not yet been made.

Boylan's firing was the first move of what figures to be a busy offseason for a team that finished 11th in the Eastern Conference just one season afterreaching the second round of the playoffs.

He left the Bulls' practice facility without commenting.

The Bulls won 49 games and a playoff series last season, but took a big step backward in 2007-'08, finishing 33-49.

They were 24-32 under Boylan, who was promoted from assistant to his first NBA head coaching job after Chicago fired Scott Skiles in December.

"I was brought in here in the middle of the season," Boylan said a day before the Bulls ended his tenure. "It's kind of a toughsituation. A lot of things happened."

Still, Boylan described his experience as "fun."

"I had a lot of fun doing it," he said. "It was full of all kinds of experiences-some good, some not so good. Sitting in the head coach'sseat was comfortable and enjoyable. I loved the challenge."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...F?slug=ap-bulls-boylanfired&prov=ap&type=lgns

No shocker here. Paxson starting this offseason right. Lets see what else is going to come

Bulls let go of Boylan

April 17, 2008
Recommend

BY [email protected]>BRIAN HANLEY [email protected]

The Bulls, as expected, let go of interim head coach Jim Boylan today. Boylan was promoted from assistant and made the interim head coach three days after Scott Skiles was fired Christmas Eve.

"I had a lot of fun doing it," Boylan said. "It was full of all kinds of experiences; some good, some not so good. But sitting in the head coach's seat was comfortable and enjoyable. I love the challenge. I just thought it was a great experience and one I will cherish for a long time."
» Click to enlarge image
Jim Boylan no longer is the head coach of the Bulls. The Bulls were 24-32 under Boylan. The team finished 33-49 on the season, a reverse of their record last season.
(AP)

Bulls general manager John Paxson, who will meet individually with the players Friday, met with Boylan and his assistants at the Berto Center Thursday morning. Boylan entered the meeting hoping Paxson would give him the opportunity to return as head coach next fall for a full season.

"Letting a coach go is never easy," Paxson said in a statement. "Jim was put in a difficult position on Dec. 27, without the luxury of having a training camp and with some of the issues that arose during his time as head coach.

"I think during the time he coached this year, Jim showed he is very capable in that role and I hope he gets that opportunity again in the future. He certainly has the tools it takes to succeed at this level. I want to thank Jim for accepting the challenge during a difficult year and I wish him all the best."

The list of candidates on Paxson's list likely includes Rick Carlisle, Jeff Van Gundy, Terry Porter, Mike Fratello, along with Boston Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau. Reports out of Philadelphia are that one Eastern Conference team already has requested permission from the 76ers to talk with Larry Brown, the Sixers' vice president who wants to return to being a head coach.

The Bulls were 24-32 under Boylan. They finished 33-49 on the season, a reverse of the record last season when the Bulls advanced to the conference semifinals and lost to Detroit, 4-2, in the best-of-seven series. That playoff run had many expecting the Bulls to be a 50-plus win team and contend for the conference championship this season.

Boylan admitted he really didn't enjoy the daily interaction with the media.

"When I was hanging around with Scott, we would talk about you guys," Boylan said. "He said it got to be a little tedious handling the media. To be honest, it does get a little tedious."

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Terry Porter?

Yeah, I can see that
I think he got a raw deal with the bucks it ant like they had any talent on that team and he only got one year.

I am guessing Carlisle will be the coach. I am not mad about that. I think he can do a good job with this team. The team is not too far away from winning. Theyjust need a coachthat knows how to rotate players and play to their strengths.

The Draft is up in the air unless we get insanely lucky and grab a Top 3 pick. I would guess a big man but if there is someone they fall in love with I am sureit will be a bad fit.

Hughes has to go. I have always like him until he came onto my team. The dude is bunk. Hinrich could be a lot better if he had an offense geared for him to bea playmaker.

I don't mind the froncourt. I think Tyrus just needs a consitent 30mpg and he will be happy. Gray is going to be a decent backup C. Noah could give us somepoints, a good defender and a great rebounder.

The backcourt just has way too many bodies for minutes allowed. Kirk, Hughes, Thabo and BG cannot split little of time. 1 NEEDS to go. It might be BG and thatwould leave Chicago to resign Lu, which is fine by me. A S&T would be great but now that Zeke is gone, BG to NY is out of the question. I wouldn't mindpackaging him and the pick for something decent or Hughes for that matter.

Should be an interesting move. Hopefully there are no more signing like Benedict Wallets.

I think Gooden and Hughes stay on the team just for cap relief down the road

I believe Gooden comes off the books after this season

I believe Larry has 2 more seasons

I would want Larry Brown around this team personally.

ok so here are some of the good players going to be on free agents..that they say the bulls are missing

Allen Iverson
Baron Davis
Monta Ellis
Jermaine ONeal
Elton Brand
Corey Maggette
Shawn Marion
Ron Artest
gilbert arenas

those are just the big names out there.. i mean there are people like Okafur and Igudala too who are free agents but what would do good for the bulls??

Watching all these games is painful. At this time last year we were already up a game on the Heat on our way to the sweep.

I'm depressed.

Very disappointing

ohwell.gif

Carlisle, Izzo in running for Bulls job

By Adrian Wojnarowski and Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 4 minutes ago

Buzz Up
Print

While Rick Carlisle is the leading candidate for the Chicago Bulls coaching job, multiple league sources say that an intriguing name has gained momentum withinthe franchise's front office: Michigan State's Tom Izzo.

Bulls GM John Paxson granted Carlisle the first interview in the process, two league sources said, and Carlisle made a strong impression. But Chicago officialswere still busy gathering intelligence on him Tuesday, reaching out around the league to those who had worked with him at stops with the Pacers and Pistons.

Nevertheless, the search won't be limited to Carlisle. There's been much internal discussion over Izzo, whom many NBA officials believe is one of therare college coaches who can make the transition to the pros.

When reached on Tuesday night, Izzo told Yahoo! Sports that he hadn't been contacted by the Bulls, but sounded willing to discuss the job with them.
ADVERTISEMENT

"I'm not counting out any (job openings) because you can't," Izzo said. "College or pro.

"I go back and forth on (coaching in the NBA)," he continued. "I still think it's the ultimate level. There is something about it. I look atit and say, 'It's a real challenge.' But I love what I do too. I go down and look at what the Pistons (coaches) do in preparation and I think,'That's insane.'

"But I look at what I do in terms of recruiting and I think, 'That's insane.' "

The Bulls are under the impression, sources said, that Izzo is eager to speak with them. Some believe he has grown restless in East Lansing, and it'sbelieved he would've become the Kansas coach had Bill Self taken the Oklahoma State job.

This could make Izzo, 53, a wild card in this search. He is one of the dominant coaches in the college game, responsible for four Final Fours and the 2000 NCAAtitle at Michigan State. Even after turning down the Atlanta Hawks within weeks of his national championship and another overture from the Toronto Raptors in2003, Izzo has long been a student of the NBA coaching game.

He is also represented by Lonnie Cooper, the most powerful pro and college coaching agent in the business.

While college coaches have historically struggled in the pros, most have been hired to struggling franchises. Izzo thought long and hard about the five-year,$15 million offer the Hawks made him eight years ago - at the time, a gold mine for a college coach - but ultimately was convinced that he had little chance tobe successful what with the dysfunctional state of the Hawks franchise.

For a son of the Midwest like Izzo, though, the Bulls job would have a different appeal. Owner Jerry Reinsdorf is believed to have some hesitation about hiringa college coach. His experiment with Iowa State's Tim Floyd had disastrous results following his hiring in1998. Memphis coach John Calipari has tried toget involved with the Bulls job, but has been rebuffed, sources said.

Izzo, who has spent nearly his entire career as either an assistant or head coach in East Lansing, said he can't say yet what he'd do if the Bullscall. He returns the bulk of a team that went to the Sweet 16 and has another strong recruiting class. Still, he could be at a coaching crossroad in hiscareer, when a fresh challenge could be the preferred path.

"Until I hear something," Izzo said, "it's hard to say."

I guess i never really thought about Izzo. Not a bad coach but i dont know how he would do with this being his first NBA team and he is expected to win rightaway. But i dont turn down the idea though

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

I hear that the Bulls are close to hiring Carlisle and are expected to announce it sometime this week
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

that would surely be a step in the right direction!
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom