The Official 2008 Chicago Bulls Off Season Thread: BG Signs 1 Year Deal; No one cares; BASEBALL FTW

Larry Hughes has a huge contract for 3 more years........it'll be tough to trade him.

Originally Posted by aRog27

Larry Hughes has a huge contract for 3 more years........it'll be tough to trade him.
yes it will be hard to trade him
i can't stand him though he's terrible. i don't like his style of play
i'd start a fundraiser to buy him out
no joke

Congrats bulls
pimp.gif

I am now off to make fun of Knicks fans b/c I been telling them for the last month that they are gonna get the 6th pick....

Steve Schanwald actually said in a post lottery interview that the Bulls deserved the #1 pick. First thing he mentioned was the Jay/Jason Williams accident -and how good the Bulls could have been.

Bring this thread to the top, just because I am toasted and loving my Bulls snagging that #1 pick.

I'm having one hell of a night fellas

Sox beat the Tribe

Bulls get the overall number 1

Life is good

Newbs24??

I haven't seen you in one of these thread since December

ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Love VIII First Sight

I'm having one hell of a night fellas

Sox beat the Tribe

Bulls get the overall number 1

Life is good

Newbs24??

I haven't seen you in one of these thread since December

ohwell.gif

I was in when we thought we had DAntoni locked up. I heard he was a shoe in and came here but after he left us for the Knicks, nothing has happened. Niceto be back in when something happens.

well we can package Hinrich,BG,and Hughes and maybe next years 1st rnd pick for Mcgrady and a decent big on their roster or something I'm sure thecontracts match up,Im just weary of Mcgrady's Injury problem..

Originally Posted by SnapNPop

well we can package Hinrich,BG,and Hughes and maybe next years 1st rnd pick for Mcgrady and a decent big on their roster or something I'm sure the contracts match up,Im just weary of Mcgrady's Injury problem..

T-mac makes 18 mil per, Kirk makes 11.3, and Hughes makes 12 per, BG is a FA who would make 7-10 mil per when he signs..........numbers arent even closefam

well we can package Hinrich,BG,and Hughes and maybe next years 1st rnd pick for Mcgrady and a decent big on their roster or something I'm sure the contracts match up,Im just weary of Mcgrady's Injury problem..

No thanks, I'll stick with Thabo and wait for Hughes contract to expire for cap relief
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif

My reasons for me wanting Rose over Beasley.

- Beasley plays the two positions I least want filled by a draft pick - SF and PF. These two positions are filled by our best player on the team (Luol, stillvery young), and two of our bigtime unknowns in Tyrus and Joakim. On top of that we have Gooden who done a nice job holding down the offensive load downlow.

- Beasley's main skills are scoring and rebounding. We have some super rebounders down low - Joakim, Tyrus, Drew, even Luol. Rebounding I don't believeis needed all that much. Scoring down low has been a problem for years, but Beasley is not a complete back to the basket guy. He's like CarlosBoozer/Carmelo Anthony - he'll go inside and out.

- Derrick Rose is a point guard who has complete control over the game. We often complain about Kirk's overdribbling and the teams overall offence. Bring afloor general at the level of a Derrick Rose and the offence will run alot smoother, instantly.

- Derrick Rose' only weakness seems to be his outside shot. The jumpshot is probably the easiest skill to work on, and I don't see it being a problemin a couple years. Beasley on the other hand is a poor defender, and he may just end up being another Carmelo Anthony (who is actually one of my favoriteplayers) on the next level - he'll put points on the board, but the amount he gives up lowers his impact.

- Derrick Rose is the fastest player I have ever seen with the ball. I said this two years ago after watching him destroy Oak Hill in Chicago. Imagine what hecould do for our transition game.

- Rose has elite size for his position and is a true point guard. Beasley is somewhat stuck between two positions and is only average size for a power forward.Rose' game is just so defined, once he get's that jumpshot down he'll be a real force.

- A PG, in my opinion, is more important to a team than a SF/PF, unless that forward's name is LeBron James or Tim Duncan.

- Derrick Rose will do more for our offense and get more out of our current, young personnel. This is great for developing the young guys. Look what Steve Nashdid for Amare. Look what Chris Paul is doing for David West. Tyrus couldn't ask for a better player.

- We've been historically a jumpshooting team, and the drive and dish is definately something Derrick can help with tremendously.

- Derrick Rose is the hometown kid and will be the best point guard in Chicago Bulls history by the season opener in year two. He's a great icon for theBulls and the city of Chicago.

By the way, I'd be thrilled with Beasley too, afterall - we came into this looking at a late lottery pick. Getting Beasley would be amazing. GettingDerrick would just be a whole nother level for me.

[h1]Bulls hit NBA Draft lottery jackpot[/h1]By K.C. Johnson |Tribune reporter 12:10 AM CDT, May 21, 2008

Who needs a coach? The Bulls own the No. 1 pick in the June 26 NBA draft.

A 2007-08 season full of losing finally faded to luck Tuesday night at the NBA draft lottery in Secaucus, N.J.

That's when the Bulls cashed in a 1.7 percent chance to leap from the ninth spot to a choice between 6-foot-3-inch Memphis point guard Derrick Rose and 6-9Kansas State power forward Michael Beasley.
Either player projects to fill a major need for the Bulls. Rose, the Simeon High product, is a quiet leader andpure point guard. Beasley, the nation's leading rebounder, is an interior scoring machine.

The first pick also affords general manager John Paxson major flexibility as he attempts to reshape his roster through potential major personnel moves thisoff-season. After initially deflecting a question about trading the pick, joking that he wouldn't do so Tuesday night, Paxson addressed the obvious.

"You always listen to what people have to say," Paxson said. "If anyone wanted to look at that, you're in a great position to look at somescenarios that could play out. If we were to do that, we'd want a terrific player in return. Those things will evolve over the next 40 days or so until thedraft."

Speaking of numbers, the winning combination of 11-7-9-13 came up big for the Bulls. And all this shortly after Steve Schanwald, the Bulls' executive vicepresident of marketing/broadcasting, was called "Stan" and by Paxson's title as he sat on the dais.

Such miscues couldn't temper the Bulls' buzz, which even prompted club Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf to weigh in from U.S. Cellular Field.

"I'm thrilled," Reinsdorf said in a statement. "We're all thrilled. This is great for the organization and great for Bulls fans."

In the 24-year history of the draft lottery, only Orlando has made a larger leap to the top pick, jumping from the 11th spot in 1993 to select-and promptlytrade- Chris Webber.

The Bulls moved from the third to the first pick in 1999, with then-general manager Jerry Krause drafting Elton Brand.

"I understand this was pure luck," Paxson said. "Now we have to do our job."

Ah, yes, that. Paxson and his scouting staff know both Rose and Beasley well. The Bulls will get to know both players even better over the coming weeks.

"You have two players who are different and unique," Paxson said. "One is a point guard and that's a natural leadership position on theteam. It's something every team covets. We saw how Chris Paul played for New Orleans.

"The other player just has the unique ability to put the ball in the basket and would be a go-to scorer. I don't want to have preconceived ideas. Iwant to talk to other teams. I won't do anything quickly. I have to evaluate."

The top pick will give the Bulls the chance to bring in any player they want for workouts and background interviews. Like most teams, Paxson values theopportunity to get players inside his own practice facility.

"I've learned in watching other people prepare you have to go about your business," Paxson said. "We'll have an opportunity to get thoseguys in as well as others. We'll get to know them and take a long look at what makes the most sense for our team.

"Having this pick puts you in a unique position to make your team better. We are technically the youngest team in the league and we're going to addanother terrific young player to this roster."

Unless, of course, the Bulls make a trade. The Bulls' backcourt is overloaded to begin with, so drafting Rose would demand a move.

"There are things we can maybe do to balance our roster better so when we do make the selection our roster is better equipped,"Paxson said. "We have a lot of needs. We need leadership on our team. We need scoring.

"Those two kids that everybody is considering for the top two, it's difficult to find terrific point guards who can lead your team and make othersbetter. But you also have a kid who is a flat-out scorer and we know how valuable those players are. It's nice to be in this position to evaluatethat."

Paxson sounded calm.

"That we have the top pick really narrows the field," he said. "At 9, we were looking at a lot of different guys. But with the first pick,it's just a few."

Perhaps he meant to say two.

Rose is his diamond.

Originally Posted by Love VIII First Sight

No thanks, I'll stick with Thabo and wait for Hughes contract to expire for cap relief
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
yeah that's actually better for the long run

Originally Posted by aRog27

T-mac makes 18 mil per, Kirk makes 11.3, and Hughes makes 12 per, BG is a FA who would make 7-10 mil per when he signs..........numbers arent even close fam
Isn't BG, and Deng RFA? so we could match any offer,or do a sign and trade(but that would be hard to pull off)

Originally Posted by KobeKid24

- Beasley plays the two positions I least want filled by a draft pick - SF and PF. These two positions are filled by our best player on the team (Luol, still very young), and two of our bigtime unknowns in Tyrus and Joakim. On top of that we have Gooden who done a nice job holding down the offensive load downlow.

- Beasley's main skills are scoring and rebounding. We have some super rebounders down low - Joakim, Tyrus, Drew, even Luol. Rebounding I don't believe is needed all that much. Scoring down low has been a problem for years, but Beasley is not a complete back to the basket guy. He's like Carlos Boozer/Carmelo Anthony - he'll go inside and out.

- Derrick Rose is a point guard who has complete control over the game. We often complain about Kirk's overdribbling and the teams overall offence. Bring a floor general at the level of a Derrick Rose and the offence will run alot smoother, instantly.

- Derrick Rose' only weakness seems to be his outside shot. The jumpshot is probably the easiest skill to work on, and I don't see it being a problem in a couple years. Beasley on the other hand is a poor defender, and he may just end up being another Carmelo Anthony (who is actually one of my favorite players) on the next level - he'll put points on the board, but the amount he gives up lowers his impact.

- Derrick Rose is the fastest player I have ever seen with the ball. I said this two years ago after watching him destroy Oak Hill in Chicago. Imagine what he could do for our transition game.

- Rose has elite size for his position and is a true point guard. Beasley is somewhat stuck between two positions and is only average size for a power forward. Rose' game is just so defined, once he get's that jumpshot down he'll be a real force.

- A PG, in my opinion, is more important to a team than a SF/PF, unless that forward's name is LeBron James or Tim Duncan.

- Derrick Rose will do more for our offense and get more out of our current, young personnel. This is great for developing the young guys. Look what Steve Nash did for Amare. Look what Chris Paul is doing for David West. Tyrus couldn't ask for a better player.

- We've been historically a jumpshooting team, and the drive and dish is definately something Derrick can help with tremendously.

- Derrick Rose is the hometown kid and will be the best point guard in Chicago Bulls history by the season opener in year two. He's a great icon for the Bulls and the city of Chicago.

By the way, I'd be thrilled with Beasley too, afterall - we came into this looking at a late lottery pick. Getting Beasley would be amazing. Getting Derrick would just be a whole nother level for me.
sorry about the triple post,but you just made the most since and shut down any reason why we shouldn't draft rose you should post this in otherthreads that claim we need a low post presence.
pimp.gif

This is shaping up to be a great off season, # 1 pick, that douche DAntoni won't be coaching us (which is a blessing). Can't wait to see what elsewill unfold.

Originally Posted by KobeKid24

- Beasley plays the two positions I least want filled by a draft pick - SF and PF. These two positions are filled by our best player on the team (Luol, still very young), and two of our bigtime unknowns in Tyrus and Joakim. On top of that we have Gooden who done a nice job holding down the offensive load downlow.

- Beasley's main skills are scoring and rebounding. We have some super rebounders down low - Joakim, Tyrus, Drew, even Luol. Rebounding I don't believe is needed all that much. Scoring down low has been a problem for years, but Beasley is not a complete back to the basket guy. He's like Carlos Boozer/Carmelo Anthony - he'll go inside and out.

- Derrick Rose is a point guard who has complete control over the game. We often complain about Kirk's overdribbling and the teams overall offence. Bring a floor general at the level of a Derrick Rose and the offence will run alot smoother, instantly.

- Derrick Rose' only weakness seems to be his outside shot. The jumpshot is probably the easiest skill to work on, and I don't see it being a problem in a couple years. Beasley on the other hand is a poor defender, and he may just end up being another Carmelo Anthony (who is actually one of my favorite players) on the next level - he'll put points on the board, but the amount he gives up lowers his impact.

- Derrick Rose is the fastest player I have ever seen with the ball. I said this two years ago after watching him destroy Oak Hill in Chicago. Imagine what he could do for our transition game.

- Rose has elite size for his position and is a true point guard. Beasley is somewhat stuck between two positions and is only average size for a power forward. Rose' game is just so defined, once he get's that jumpshot down he'll be a real force.

- Derrick Rose will do more for our offense and get more out of our current, young personnel. This is great for developing the young guys. Look what Steve Nash did for Amare. Look what Chris Paul is doing for David West. Tyrus couldn't ask for a better player.

- Derrick Rose is the hometown kid and will be the best point guard in Chicago Bulls history by the season opener in year two. He's a great icon for the Bulls and the city of Chicago.

By the way, I'd be thrilled with Beasley too, afterall - we came into this looking at a late lottery pick. Getting Beasley would be amazing. Getting Derrick would just be a whole nother level for me.
cosign

Bring Derrick back home!!

Here's the problem with drafting Rose and not making any other moves(we will make some moves, but what moves).

Most scouts are drooling over Derrick Rose mainly because of the blossoming of Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and Tony Parker over the last 3 seasons. TheHornets, Spurs, and Jazz are top 10 NBA teams for as long as these POINT GUARDS continue to be highly effective players. The three of them have great abilitiesto make the other players around them MORE effective. However, there is a strong common bond you see in the players that are installed around Paul, Parker, andWilliams.

It is perimeter shooters that pass well. This is where I think the Bulls need retooling. The strongest 3pt shooters on the current roster are Hinrich, Nocioni,and Gordon. The next tier of 3pt shooters is Thabo and Hughes. Then there is Deng who isn't really a 3pt shooter at all, but does make them when he'swide open.

We all need to understand how the Base Year Contract works if you want to dangle any trades involving Deng or Gordon. Both are RFAs. If you sign either playerto an extension, the BYC rules mean that a 5 year, 50 million(10mil per) if traded in the first year of the contract is only worth 5 mil per going out, but tothe team receiving the contract it is worth the full 10 mil per. This is why almost no BYC players are traded in the first year. Second, a BYC player cannot betraded until late December. This isn't good for building a new team chemistry with a new PG and new head coach. You need training camp with a completeroster to get things clicking early.

Because of this reality I see Hinrich and Nocioni as the best trade bait, but their value is very low right now with both coming off their worst NBA seasons.

The one thing we really need is a legit SF that can play defense and hit a wide open three point shot. Who is that player? He may be in the draft.

laugh.gif

Since when????

Carmelo Anthony is still a top 20 PER player. If Beasley comes close to this he'll be awesome. However, Chris Paul is #2 in PER. Only Lebron is better. IfRose can come close to Paul then he'll be much more effective for the Bulls as compared to Beasley.

An average PF on defense is much more likely to hurt your team defense than a PG that is an average defender. A player like Rose will have primary defensiveroles to press the opponents ball handler and gamble in the passing lanes. His offensive skills to start and/or run the break mean his defense will come in theform of additional ball pressure. A player like Beasley will have to absorb hit after hit from low post bigs.

Rose will help us right away. Beasley would take a full season to get going. The NBA paint is just far more punishing than any AAU, HS, or NCAA game.

Back
Top Bottom