The Official 2020 NFL Offseason Thread - The Cleveland Steamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
B15D66B9-0C0E-4DB5-80C3-4F3523BEF570.gif

the players dont know what they are doing if they approve this deal......

i'm no expert on the cap and deals. but if i were players id get rid of franchise tag or limit it to one year max. that is keeping down salary per year. guarantee salary of contract if player is on team exactly 2 years after signing contract.....i like teams having ability to dump player if its a bad deal for the team but these contracts are 3-6 year deals right....if they gave you 2 good years AND if you want to keep them for 3rd year..... guarantee the rest of deal.......and to protect the owners from bad deals....every year team can cut one player and either it does not count against the cap or only half does.......these ideas benefit the players and hurt the owners.....A BIT

dead money - it is my understanding a team with dead money does NOT have to pay the players that money.......so who gets that money? the OWNERS.....i'm 99% sure on this because giants had huge cap hit in dead money in 2019 but they didnt pay the salary of OBJ and vernon........there is salary cap floor but owners can sign players to huge contracts trade them and not replace those salaries? what other sport has this?

look at all the teams that have salary cap space this year.....many will carry 10+ mil in cap space to 2021.....clearly the cap is too low and the salaries not on par with revenues......

NFL TV deals are about to go up even more..........NFL is only thing keeping cable companies and tv networks relevant...NFL knows this and are about to get PAID

players are supposed to on recent deal get 47% of revenues.....i'd bet they never reached that on any year......it appears they do thats the trick....dead money = no money PAID

NFL players another idea! if the cap is 200 million, ok great, by week 17 if the NFL team did NOT pay 200 million then they pay the difference to the players on roster, every dime.....this rule will lead to more deals being made mid season and if its 5mil-20 mil guess what players should get that! NOT owners.......

these guys need to level up

Last edited:
the players dont know what they are doing if they approve this deal......

i'm no expert on the cap and deals. but if i were players id get rid of franchise tag or limit it to one year max. that is keeping down salary per year. guarantee salary of contract if player is on team exactly 2 years after signing contract.....i like teams having ability to dump player if its a bad deal for the team but these contracts are 3-6 year deals right....if they gave you 2 good years AND if you want to keep them for 3rd year..... guarantee the rest of deal.......and to protect the owners from bad deals....every year team can cut one player and either it does not count against the cap or only half does.......these ideas benefit the players and hurt the owners.....A BIT

dead money - it is my understanding a team with dead money does NOT have to pay the players that money.......so who gets that money? the OWNERS.....i'm 99% sure on this because giants had huge cap hit in dead money in 2019 but they didnt pay the salary of OBJ and vernon........there is salary cap floor but owners can sign players to huge contracts trade them and not replace those salaries? what other sport has this?

look at all the teams that have salary cap space this year.....many will carry 10+ mil in cap space to 2021.....clearly the cap is too low and the salaries not on par with revenues......

NFL TV deals are about to go up even more..........NFL is only thing keeping cable companies and tv networks relevant...NFL knows this and are about to get PAID

players are supposed to on recent deal get 47% of revenues.....i'd bet they never reached that on any year......it appears they do thats the trick....dead money = no money PAID

NFL players another idea! if the cap is 200 million, ok great, by week 17 if the NFL team did NOT pay 200 million then they pay the difference to the players on roster, every dime.....this rule will lead to more deals being made mid season and if its 5mil-20 mil guess what players should get that! NOT owners.......

these guys need to level up

I am Pro players in every sport, forever. I hate the racist *** owners. But the thing is, the players are NEVER going to get everything they want. They can get a few crumbs closer, but they'll never get it perfect.

The league gonna reach 20 billion soon. 20, Bill.

They could get to 48.9 of that. That's just shy of 10 billion. They can also get 2 to 1 401K. And they can get drug penalties cleaned up. They'll play an extra game or two, but have fewer preseason games.

It's not like they're gonna get a 55/45 split with fully guaranteed contracts and fewer regular season games with fewer preseason games.

They gotta be smart. Owners do have leverage, and a work stoppage gains them zero money. If they sign, TV deals blow up, revenue goes up, contracts go up, load manage those extra games a bit and you keep the hype train rollin. 51/49 bout as close as they gonna get. Not perfect, but better than last labor deal. And I despise the owners. But they aren't gettin a better deal.

^^^my issue will they really get that 10 billion?? on paper it is nice sure......but look at all the teams that went into the 19 season with cap space and all the teams with dead money...........

look at all these dollars not spent for 2019.......why is that?

OBJ 17 million salary counted against two teams last year.....think about that.....they are not getting their 49% and in 10 years when the franchises double again and the players are out the league from guys who played 10+ to the all important guys who play less than 4 what do they have to show? less than the 20th man that played same years on a MLB team, less than the man that is the 10th guy on nba team.

i know the nfl has way more guys on the roster than MLB BUT their share needs to be a true 49% these teams are using accounting tricks to fool players that they are getting their fair share......actually when two teams get to count OBJ 2019 salary on their books its stealing from the players.......

thats like if you left your job went to another company but your former company does not replace you. yet on their books they kept your salary and at year end it shows that you worked for all of 2019.......well that didnt happen right? you didnt get paid? yet it shows you did? well who got the money? the owner! the owner didnt replace you, so who misses out? the person who is dying to get that job and earn that pay.....it could be someone unemployed or someone with the company waiting their turn to get paid.........ie if a team trades OBJ 16 mil out.....they either have to sign a free agent to replace those dollars OR give new contract to someone on the team.....but no lets have the owners pocket that money and use a term like dead money to mask what really is happening.....owners getting to keep that money.......not every dime of dead money.....OBJ hit was like 25 mil to giants bonus from year before and 2019 salary but the 2019 salary is 100% a save.......

MLB and NBA have caps.....you don't hear about the nonsense of dead money? why because players are getting paid what they sign for!

the NY Giants spent less money in players salaries in 2019 than the portland trail blazers.....espn etc would never do story on this....they are not allowed to......

how are MLB top 10 teams spending more in salaries than the top 10 NFL teams? and that is not counting minor leagues cost

the nba is legit considering moving their season back 2 months to avoid the NFL......NFL is a MONSTER.

another idea.....200 mil salary cap.....great......if team goes into season with cap space either the money saved gets divided among the players OR better yet it goes into the pension fund and medical for life fund.......did i read right? players don't get medical for life? there are players right now that will 100% develop CTE, they know the risks and still play i get it but are we really going to not have them have medical benefits for life? yikes

Last edited:
Problem is their is some huge differences between those in the labor force

then you have a ton of roster turnover + the injury risks + short career for the average player

the pounceys, for example, were both top 20 picks and in spite of injuries and fall off in play of one of them, they are both top 15 paid at their position

the OBJ example is a kinda poor one, he just got a new contract with the giants.. but smart teams have been manipulating the cap for years to open space since they can carry over unused space into the following year to create more space

but the stars do have power as a group.. individual players may not.. But if they get enough of that top 20-30% that can have a significant impact

the nfl is well aware of their power.. and networks are also well aware that live sports are the thing keeping their current model alive

it’s why theyre going big money on romo and other talent, because they are going be throwing heavy money at the league.. CBS just lost the SEC to abc/ESPN, so they have to keep the nfl and romo gets paid even if the league is locked out.. Monday night football probably goes to abc with abc getting in the mix for a super bowl

The problem the nfl players have always had is they view the star QBs as a separate group and those handful aren’t enough.. but they should be targeting those 10-20 guys from each squad that make those teams tick

Owners need (or I should say very very very very much want) to get a deal done so they can then take that and negotiate with networks and other entities

between tv deals and streaming deals, a crap load of money going get made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom