The Official 2020 NFL Offseason Thread - The Cleveland Steamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
They tried to move up for a WR but unfortunately you don't get everyone you want in the draft.

Fortunately if you really want a QB from Utah State you can strike gold three times in

Favre

Rodgers

And Jordan Love?

You can get everyone you want if you want them badly enough. While pissing Rodgers off in the process. The chances that Jordan Love becomes a third of three HOFs in that bunch is just so low.

Who knows what Rodgers is thinking. He'll probably support Love regardless. No matter who it is you'd think odds would be low on having 3 consecutive HOF QB's. We're too good to ever have the number 1 or 2 QB on the board. I like that this gives us time to have 2 chances of getting that third in a row if Love doesnt pan out.

Brady was the same age as Rodgers when they drafted Jimmy in the 2nd round. Everyone thought Bill hates Bradys guts and needs to prove he doesn't need Tom. Tom hates Bill he doesnt need Bill. The nerve to draft a 2nd round QB instead of helping him. Everyone still thinks they dont like each other lol. Bill could have moved on from Tom, instead he traded Jimmy. Not only that, Jimmy looked promising and won while Tom was suspended. If Rodgers stays elite no way i'm counting out we ride with him.. But heaven forbid the Packers think bigger picture when your QB is old.

I don't know whats going to happen. I trust the FO and am excited with what we have. If everyone thinks the Packers are imploding that's fine. I dont care until it happens.

Say Rodgers does play 4 years.

So the Packers traded up for a 4 year clipboard holder and you will lose the greatest benefit to that move, the dirt cheap QB rookie salary, and that is a benefit to Rodgers moreso than Tee Higgins linin up opposite DeVante Adams would be?

Do I have this right? This is your stance?

(I will give you Dillon + Oline beefing up)

Even though everyone is set on the Packers having no idea what they're doing. If you care enough here is a read that I love and boosted my excitement. It's a little long though.

Like many of you, after hearing the names Jordan Love, AJ Dillon, and Josiah Deguara called after Days 1 and 2 of the NFL Draft, I was left with a feeling of sadness, anger, and confusion. And how could anyone blame us? This Packers team - who ended the season just one game away from the Super Bowl - looked to be a solid wide receiver, another run-stopping inside linebacker, and some additional depth pieces away from finally reaching the heights we've all been desperately trying to repeat since the 2010 season.

But that's not how it shook out. This weekend, Brian Gutekunst and Matt LaFleur decided to draft: a Quarterback, a Running Back, a Tight End, and several Offensive Linemen, among others.

After this, Packers fandom collapsed into a state of mass hysteria. How on EARTH could the new front office regime and head coach that we've grown to respect so much in their budding careers possibly mess this up so badly? How do you NOT do everything you can to help the Hall of Fame quarterback in the twilight of his career win another Super Bowl?

Well, after a bit of research and a lot of thinking, the answer is because we are all naive fools. From the legitimate sports writers to the Twitter/Reddit armchair analysts, we're all just playing Chutes and Ladders while Brian Gutekunst and Matt LaFleur are out here playing 5D Chess.

Let's start with a look into the Packers offensive line, which I was surprised to find was not just good in 2019, but among the league's best:

• According to Football Outsiders, they were the #5 run-blocking unit in the league last year based on adjusted yards-per-carry, which puts weight on the offensive line's contribution in every single rush on the season. For comparison, this puts them ahead of the 49ers, and slightly below the Ravens.
  • Packers running backs were also "stuffed" (tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage) on just 17% of carries last year, good for 6th-best in the league.
  • Among other promising stats, their only glaring weakness was on "Power" runs - where they ran the ball to try to pick up a first down or get into the end zone in short yardage situations. They were 27th in the league in this category.

Now, given this context, let's look at some of the Packers' offensive offseason moves up to this point:

• Re-signing Mercedes Lewis, a blocking TE
  • Releasing Jimmy Graham, who did the opposite of blocking
  • Signing Rick Wagner to a sensible deal after a down season in Detroit, who's been a great run-blocker throughout his career.
  • Drafting Josiah Deguara, an elite run blocker who Matt LaFleur stated he wants to use in a "Kyle Juszczyk role"
  • Drafting AJ Dillon, a power-back to compliment Aaron Jones and improve those aforementioned short-yardage "power" situations
  • Drafting three offensive linemen
  • And finally, weirdly enough, signing Devin Funchess. Gute didn't sign a mediocre receiver with issues hanging onto the football to be Aaron Rodgers' #2 option. He signed him because he's a 6'4 240-pound pseudo-tight end who will contribute heavily in outside run blocking, like Miles Boykin does for the Ravens.

With the addition of several big bodies and a powerful north/south runner, the plan seems to be to take an already great rushing attack and turn it into an absolute juggernaut. This is going to be a Ravens/49ers-esque run-heavy team who thoroughly destroys opposing teams on the ground and through play-action. Obviously the Ravens are a bit different with their utilization of Lamar Jackson, but if the Niners can pull off a similar system with Jimmy Garoppolo under center and Deebo Samuel as the WR1, imagine what this could look like with Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams.

Sticking with the 49ers comparison and looking at DVOA per attempt for running backs, which essentially tells you which RBs are performing better than their stats would suggest, Aaron Jones ranked fifth last year. Raheem Mostert, who ran all over the Packers in the NFC Championship Game, ranked just 21st. The Packers now clearly have the necessary talent in the backfield and in the offensive line to emulate the success that teams like the 49ers and Ravens had last year. And Matt LaFleur, who we all know loves the run game, is the perfect man to lead this offensive transition.

They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. The Packers have been doing the same thing for the last 10 years, and it's pretty obvious that the ceiling to that approach is a heartbreaking loss in the NFC Championship. They're completely mixing things up to establish a new way of running their offense without having to rely on a now-36-year-old Aaron Rodgers being Superman every week. Many may think that the front office didn't get Rodgers any help this offseason (myself included until recently), but in reality, this is exactly what he needed.

In terms of the moves that Gute didn't make, I'm feeling confident in his reasoning here as well. Defensively, he's expecting guys like Rashan Gary, Oren Burks, and Kingsley Keke to take a step up this year. Kamal Martin seems like an interesting piece to slide in next to Christian Kirksey (another astute signing who can do everything that Blake Martinez couldn't), and Preston Smith can likely play ILB if need be as well. At the very least, there are plenty of available options to quell any concerns with the front-seven.

Offensively, Gute says he's confident with their current crop of young pass-catchers in Lazard, MVS, Kumerow, EQ, and Sternberger. Take that statement how you will, but heading into the draft, Gute said he wanted a guy who could come in and make an immediate impact, as it typically takes wide receivers a few years to develop into big contributors. He reportedly saw that in 6 guys: Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb, Reagor, Jefferson, and Aiyuk. But when none of them were available later in the 1st, he decided to stick with his more-experienced young guys, rather than reach for someone he wasn't convinced with. Instead, he chose to pursue the QB of the future.

Speaking of Jordan Love, I just wanted to add a quick side note about the media narrative that Aaron Rodgers is upset about this, and will refuse to mentor to Jordan Love. Mina Kimes did a very interesting feature about Aaron Rodgers a few years ago, and actually addressed this kind of scenario in her interview with him. We all know that Rodgers and Favre didn't necessarily get along in the early days of Rodgers' career, however, as his career progressed, he realized how beneficial learning under Favre was to his development, and now says he sees the importance of being a mentor to younger quarterbacks. Aaron Rodgers is a consummate professional, and while he obviously won't just roll over and hand Jordan Love the starting job in a few years, the idea that he'll refuse to act as a mentor to build the future of this franchise is nothing more than an asinine media narrative

Anyway, I do still question the lack of drafting any receivers, but if the Packers don't plan to throw as much, using Lazard for 5 catches a game as the #2 wouldn't be the worst idea if he's facing softer coverage due to our improved run game. I'd expect them to just grab another veteran WR before camp and call it a day there. Scouts are also saying the 2021 WR class could be even better than 2020, so this could be some foresight from the front office as well.

In all, I genuinely think that every single move made by the front office this offseason was thoroughly calculated. Gute has been in player-evaluation roles with the Packers organization since 1998, so it's a much more plausible explanation than him suddenly forgetting how to scout talent. They're taking certain aspects of some of the best offenses in the league, recognizing the pieces they have to work with, and optimizing that by building a formidable infrastructure to surround their franchise quarterback. I fully expect the Packers to contend for a Super Bowl until the day Aaron Rodgers retires (and hopefully long after with Heir Jordan), and you should as well.

TLDR: The Packers moves this offseason, combined with run-blocking statistics from last year, heavily suggest that they are about to develop a very potent offensive attack through an increased utilization of rushing and play-action. Contrary to popular belief, Gute and LaFleur actually seem to have a very intelligent plan laid out, which is obviously good for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' title aspirations. Also Aaron Rodgers most likely does not hate Jordan Love.

651akathepaul 651akathepaul
And finally, weirdly enough, signing Devin Funchess. Gute didn't sign a mediocre receiver with issues hanging onto the football to be Aaron Rodgers' #2 option. He signed him because he's a 6'4 240-pound pseudo-tight end who will contribute heavily in outside run blocking, like Miles Boykin does for the Ravens.

Last edited:
Is rick Wagner even good?

don’t watch a ton of lions to know if they even had any decent tackles

but I know they signed our backup to a decent deal and he might be better off at guard as a starter that can kick out if needed since he has slow feet

and putting a lot of faith into 3 6th rounders

Is rick Wagner even good?

don’t watch a ton of lions to know if they even had any decent tackles

but I know they signed our backup to a decent deal and he might be better off at guard as a starter that can kick out if needed since he has slow feet

and putting a lot of faith into 3 6th rounders

Idk what to expect from Wagner. He's no Bulaga but Bulaga is injury prone and expensive.

The packers already have good to great O-Line pieces. They dont need 3 lineman right now. I am putting a lot of faith in late round OL picks because the Packers have historically been great at drafting late round OL and developing them.

Devin Funchess was suppose to atleast ascend to Alston Jeffrey level. Very similar body style, gait, hands. Alshon always been more nimbler tho

Looking like a brisket fresh off of pabby’s grill
gavin.jpg

1.) We're too good to ever have the number 1 or 2 QB on the board.

2.) If Rodgers stays elite no way i'm counting out we ride with him.. But heaven forbid the Packers think bigger picture when your QB is old.

1.) Burrow and Tua > Jordan Love

2.) These two thoughts don’t complement each other at all. Is Rodgers going to be good or is Jordan Love going to be a stud? -- Love has to be if it's a trade-up in the first round, and when does the transition go off? Would love to see this negotiated over a pizza like Favre and McCarthy did.

Last edited:
1.) Burrow and Tua > Jordan Love

2.) These two thoughts don’t complement each other at all. Is Rodgers going to be good or is Jordan Love going to be a stud? -- Love has to be if it's a trade-up in the first round, and when does the transition go off? Would love to see this negotiated over a pizza like Favre and McCarthy did.
An they must except Rodgers to be done in 2-3 years.

They've already built this guy to have Matt Flynn, Jimmy G type hype.

I mean chase Daniel just signed for 3 years 13 mill.. which I think will pay him more than Lamar until Lamar gets his extension

with the rookie wage scale, might as well see if you can coach dude up and set yourself for post Rodgers.. and if he doesn’t have it, then you just keep looking.. you see dude in practice and you give him a ton of preseason snaps when you’re not playing Rodgers much anyways

Last edited:
I'm not one to talk about WR's (cue the beSt iN thE aFc EAsT joke) but Funchess ain't it for GB :lol: .

ESPN app or ESPN+ have the Alex Smith special on demand? Forgot to record last night and would like to watch.

Clyde Frog Clyde Frog ya got a link to that article you posted? Wanted to share with a friend.

Last edited:
The Packers have to know this was not the last draft ever. There are more in the future with more QBs comin out who will look good. Why they chose this route, right now, and with the extra burden of making this a circus with the media attention tells me they know somethin about AR that maybe we don’t.

The pics and talk about Alex smith’s leg has me really curious to see what Teddy’s knee looked like back when he suffered his injury in training camp.

The pics and talk about Alex smith’s leg has me really curious to see what Teddy’s knee looked like back when he suffered his injury in training camp.
TBH both of those guys probably have pretty lean, sinewy legs. Not really what I'm looking for. Give me some marbling, like a Kelvin Benjamin or an Albert Haynesworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom