The Official 2020 NFL Offseason Thread - The Cleveland Steamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woody said Brady showed up at the offensive line's weekly BBQ outing and once got into a beer-drinking contest, despite Woody and his teammates having a 100-pound size advantage on Brady's 225-pound frame.

"This dude just absolutely drank everybody under the ground," Woody said. "I'm like, 'Wait a minute.' When we first started, I'm like, 'There's no way in hell that Tom's gonna be able to battle all us big fellas up in here.' If there was a wager on this, everyone woulda gotten wiped out. He wiped everybody out. And I was like, 'Damn. A quarterback just out-drank the offensive line.'"

giphy.gif

I think he means how they’ll be like 60 games on each weekend but only 10 are actually competitive games between teams that are relevant.

olympics?

I think most of the field in most Olympic team sports are professional.

I think he means how they’ll be like 60 games on each weekend but only 10 are actually competitive games between teams that are relevant.

Yea I'm talking top tier. Elite programs.

SEC level play definitely the amateur league/conference that's closest to its pro counterpart imo.

I don't think it's really comparable. In most sports if you're a pro prospect you turn pro 18-19.

Top tier CFB really is amateur in name only.

Last edited:
Most of the athletes we follow there are pro doe mane

not all.. a good chunk, yes.. but not all

either you got some sports where you technically have to be an amateur to even compete.. or you have people competing at the highest levels that still have to remain amateurs to retain other statuses

not all.. a good chunk, yes.. but not all

either you got some sports where you technically have to be an amateur to even compete.. or you have people competing at the highest levels that still have to remain amateurs to retain other statuses

That mostly applies to individual sports though.

Basketball
Soccer
Handball
Hockey?
Volleyball?

Virtually all full professional on the men's side.

There are college and even high school kids competing and even winning medals in the olympics

for example, this is going be Katie ledecky’s 1st olympics as a pro

or the guy Michael Phelps lost the 100 fly to last olympics was a sophomore at Texas (Joseph schooling)

multiple guys and girls were on the relay teams who were amateurs

also for a lot of Olympic athletes they have to wait until after they perform on that stage to get money

Last edited:
There are college and even high school kids competing and even winning medals in the olympics

for example, this is going be Katie ledecky’s 1st olympics as a pro

or the guy Michael Phelps lost the 100 fly to last olympics was a sophomore at Texas (Joseph schooling)

also for a lot of Olympic athletes they have to wait until after they perform on that stage to get money

We talking team/invasion sports from the jump. Specified that for a reason.

We talking team/invasion sports from the jump. Specified that for a reason.

And as an amateur if you are good enough, you can participate on that level and still retain your amateur status.. same goes for world championships

And as an amateur if you are good enough, you can participate on that level and still retain your amateur status.. same goes for world championships

I'm not seeing your point. The claim is that elite CFB is the amateur sport closest in quality to its pro counterpart.

Practically speaking, Olympic Basketball or any other Olympic team sport isn't amateur. The fact that amateurs are permitted to play doesn't change that.

I'm not seeing your point. The claim is that elite CFB is the amateur sport closest in quality to its pro counterpart.

Practically speaking, Olympic Basketball or any other Olympic team sport isn't amateur. The fact that amateurs are permitted to play doesn't change that.

For a overwhelming majority of sports in the world, the highest level an amateur athlete can compete in is the olympics.. same goes for pros in certain sports.. but you as an amateur can compete

for American football athletes, that sport isn’t an option amateur or pro wise in the olympics.. neither was baseball for a bit (it’s coming back)

obviously there is history of some guys making it in track

for example, Michael jordan when on the ‘92 dream wasn’t paid by the US.. however the US typical rewards medal winners with cash prizes, however amateurs previously had to turn these cash prizes down but I believe the ncaa has made exceptions for it now.. but don’t forget Christian leattner was on that team.. and you have a number of college guys who eventually end up going pro that represent their countries years before they are pros

For a overwhelming majority of sports in the world, the highest level an amateur athlete can compete in is the olympics.. same goes for pros in certain sports.. but you as an amateur can compete

for American football athletes, that sport isn’t an option amateur or pro wise in the olympics.. neither was baseball for a bit (it’s coming back)

obviously there is history of some guys making it in track

for example, Michael jordan when on the ‘92 dream wasn’t paid by the US.. however the US typical rewards medal winners with cash prizes, however amateurs previously had to turn these cash prizes down but I believe the ncaa has made exceptions for it now.. but don’t forget Christian leattner was on that team.. and you have a number of college guys who eventually end up going pro that represent their countries years before they are pros

:lol: Dude you're overthinking this way too much. I don't even know if you disagree with me?

In the modern era the overwhelming majority fo the field in Olympic basketball is pro. Same with other Olympic team sports.

The fact that an individual amateur can participate is irrelevant. It would be objectively wrong to claim that Olympic Basketball or Olympic Soccer is an amateur competition.

You're needlessly going in circles here. If you really really want to dive into the minutia and semantics, fine. There's a definitive classification for mixed competitions that feature a both amateur and pro athletes; it's called semi-pro and it's objectively different from amateur sport.

On a sport by sport basis, Olympics competitions are categorically not amateur by definition because of the presence of pro athletes. It's that simple.

Again, high level college football is the amateur team sport closest in quality to its pro counterpart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom