THE OFFICIAL A I R M A X DELUXE THREAD

What i find weird is that even though alot of Airmaxes uses the same sole, they feel different on different models.

For example, my AM Plus/97 hybrid sole feels more cushiony than the AM 97, even though its the same sole.

how would you rate the retros compared to the OG
and whats your opinion about the sizing from the retros ??
dankenstien88 dankenstien88
Overall, I'm satisfied with this retro. Nike did a pretty good job. One thing I didn't mention previously, that I'm surprised they got right, is the way the swirl pattern on the tongue lines up perfectly with pattern the body of the shoe.

I have to deduct points for the cheapened cushioning, lack of a translucent outsole and the QC issues with the reflective hash marks.

As for fit, everyone has stated that these run long and narrow and I completely agree. These are def hair longer and considerably narrower than the OG. If you compare the insole to insole shot I took, you can see just how much wider the base of the OG is. I'd say OGs are close to a half inch wider at the forefoot, possibly even more near the arch. Another aspect I didn't mention,is if you examine the toebox the retros even physically appears longer. There is a greater gap between the embossed ridges and the toe-cap. The swoosh is farther back, as is the eyelit housing.

All in all I would rate these a 7.5/10. I'm not the kind of person who expects every detail to be duplicated perfectly nearly 2 decades down the line, but there are undoubtedly some things that could have been done better. Namely, better cushioning and a translucent outsole. Had they incorporated just the sole, 8.5/10. Just the cushioning 9/10. Had these featured both of those, they'd be a 9.9/10.

Overall, I'm satisfied with this retro. Nike did a pretty good job. One thing I didn't mention previously, that I'm surprised they got right, is the way the swirl pattern on the tongue lines up perfectly with pattern the body of the shoe.

I have to deduct points for the cheapened cushioning, lack of a translucent outsole and the QC issues with the reflective hash marks.

As for fit, everyone has stated that these run long and narrow and I completely agree. These are def hair longer and considerably narrower than the OG. If you compare the insole to insole shot I took, you can see just how much wider the base of the OG is. I'd say OGs are close to a half inch wider at the forefoot, possibly even more near the arch. Another aspect I didn't mention,is if you examine the toebox the retros even physically appears longer. There is a greater gap between the embossed ridges and the toe-cap. The swoosh is farther back, as is the eyelit housing.

All in all I would rate these a 7.5/10. I'm not the kind of person who expects every detail to be duplicated perfectly nearly 2 decades down the line, but there are undoubtedly some things that could have been done better. Namely, better cushioning and a translucent outsole. Had they incorporated just the sole, 8.5/10. Just the cushioning 9/10. Had these featured both of those, they'd be a 9.9/10.

Couldn’t have broken it down better myself. 1000% agree with all of this.

I agree with the review above.
I'll throw this in the mix.. that the cushioning/comfort is pretty close to the same as it was when the shoe originally released.
Think back to when that shoe was released and what other models/brands were as 'comfortable' as shoes are in the present day. Probably not many. Nike had a strong hold on the market with the different air max models in their line up, and the shoes that we find to be really comfortable now, weren't even invented yet, so we didn't have much to compare it to that was on that level. Think about MJ playing 44 minutes of a game wearing AJ1's. Not even an option these days.

Comfort is also one of the more subjective topics, as people's build, aesthetic, and comfort level are all over the board and hard to generalize. Example; I've always felt that AM97's were mad stiff and not the most comfortable, some people strongly disagree.

It's like that restaurant or buffet you remember going to as a kid and everything was over the top delicious, and you go back now with the same expectations after 20 years with a completely different palate and after having eaten countless higher quality meals.

My .02
B

I would like to agree except for the fact that the OG 97 and OG deluxes really are/were more comfortable than today’s versions. Sure it’s been 20 years but luckily my memory ain’t that bad lol. They used to use a softer foam midsole and you can clearly see in the comparison pics that they used to use a softer more “cushiony” setup underneath the insole. It’s really night and day. I definitely understand what you mean it just sadly doesn’t apply in this case.

It's like that restaurant or buffet you remember going to as a kid and everything was over the top delicious, and you go back now with the same expectations after 20 years with a completely different palate and after having eaten countless higher quality meals.

spot-on.

we've been treated to a lot of advances in cushioning since 1990-whatever is the case for these retros. Knowing that + NSW's penchant for stripping away certain tech elements for various reasons, it's a bit silly and misguided to expect 20 year old models to be exceedingly more comfortable than Boost, React, etc etc.

Hope I'll succeed to get the Skepta's and the Black one, are Air Max Deluxe hard to get in US and UK ?
Don't know if in France it was because of flashy colorways or price, but I was surprised to not see them sold out quickly

spot-on.

we've been treated to a lot of advances in cushioning since 1990-whatever is the case for these retros. Knowing that + NSW's penchant for stripping away certain tech elements for various reasons, it's a bit silly and misguided to expect 20 year old models to be exceedingly more comfortable than Boost, React, etc etc.

Perhaps stripping away the technological elements contained in the OG's helps to keep the cost down?
Nike have changed their direction as far as what the AirMax stands for today. Surely someone's out there with insider knowledge as to the reasons for why they don't replicate the tuned air, the plushier insoles and the translucent bubble? (I wouldn't even put that one down to technology)

Any time I see a model labeled as a NSW release I expect it to be stripped a bit. Nike Running, Nike Basketball, etc = you're getting the (usually new) tech.

Last edited:
AMDLX rare unseen wmnscw.jpg
39637538_255857908401131_1967820682062462976_n.jpg
38989812_255609755285554_3218750810628292608_n.jpg

38989812_255609755285554_3218750810628292608_n.jpg

found this ultra rare wmns OG cw :wow: :wow:
i have never seen them before untill now
i tried to google the code, but too bad nothing came up

That's one thing I love about Nikes from this era. Every once in a while, you come across a colorway you've never seen.

Between store exclusives, regional exclusives, recalls, outlet parts bin specials, mens and womens releases; all in an era before wide spread internet. There are pairs l come across every now and that are far from new, but new to me.

Lots of entirely lost models as well. I've been hunting for a pair of Air Cover IIs for years and can't even find any record of their existence :lol: . Same goes for the Air Merciless, which really surprises me because it was very popular model to see on feet circa 2000. Maybe we should start a "Lost Nikes" thread :lol:

That's one thing I love about Nikes from this era. Every once in a while, you come across a colorway you've never seen.

Between store exclusives, regional exclusives, recalls, outlet parts bin specials, mens and womens releases; all in an era before wide spread internet. There are pairs l come across every now and that are far from new, but new to me.

Lots of entirely lost models as well. I've been hunting for a pair of Air Cover IIs for years and can't even find any record of their existence :lol: . Same goes for the Air Merciless, which really surprises me because it was very popular model to see on feet circa 2000. Maybe we should start a "Lost Nikes" thread :lol:

I need Air Sunders now.

E918519C-43EB-4ED6-90F9-678CF76156A7.jpeg

Grail status for me.

Back
Top Bottom