THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

Patience really is a virtue when it comes to sneakers. Thanks kaws for the free atmos.
01F63308-6A81-4289-9EDB-EAE8AB7419DB.jpeg
Free is the best :smokin

what are you talking about? I didnt say anything about reselling. Anyway, enough of the Kaws, back to AM1s
"that person who really wanted them wasnt going to win them anyway."

Lol how do you know someone who would actually wear the shoes wasn't going to win in his place? Does the raffle not select this type of person?

I don't mind people reselling shoes that were made in scarce amounts from the beginning - like the atmos models or the kaws that you talked about. What I DO mind is people trying to resell shoes that were a mass produced item the first time they released. This bugged me about the beginning of the 2010s when the sneaker hype got out of control for a minute.
Shoes like the Air Max 1 in original colorways shouldn't be marketed as "special editions" but as staples of the brand that rely on their inherent strength and not on a bandwagon effect caused by limited supply.
You can't pick and choose when reselling is right and when it is wrong. Resellers can be blamed for why all of us didnt get the March releases of the OGs or the Elephants. If we don't support resellers it would bring down prices. Its only a matter of time before that shoe you can't stand to miss is $2000.

I really wanted Off White Prestos to wear, but GL ever winning a raffle with literally everyone trying to flip them. I will never pay a reseller for 2 or 3 x retail.

You can't pick and choose when reselling is right and when it is wrong. Resellers can be blamed for why all of us didnt get the March releases of the OGs or the Elephants. If we don't support resellers it would bring down prices. Its only a matter of time before that shoe you can't stand to miss is $2000.

I really wanted Off White Prestos to wear, but GL ever winning a raffle with literally everyone trying to flip them. I will never pay a reseller for 2 or 3 x retail.
I think you didn't really get what I was going at. In my opinion it's not that bad to resell an extremely limited item for a hefty price tag because it's just a conversion of a previous process - it's an extreme hassle to get them for retail or to win them in a raffle AND it continues to be a hassle afterwards due to the increased prices. It's kinda like conversion of energy - chemical energy becomes mechanical energy when you move your muscles and low stock and hype becomes hefty resell prices.

On the other hand - shoes like the Air Max 1 in OG form were commercially available items that you could just go to the store to and purchase whenever you wanted. They were never created with the intention of being a low-stock item. That's why it bugs me that Nike tries to stir up some buzz by making small numbers. They try to mask a commercial item that people are attached to due to it's inherent strong points (design, material quality, craftsmanship, sturdiness etc.) as an item that is desirable because of external factors related to it's scarcity (impressing other people, looking for a status symbol etc.).

I never try to buy items that were labelled as "limited" from the beginning because at the end of the day they are nothing more than a promotional item for the company and never intended to satisfy me as a customer anyway. If I like a silhouette that's like that, I give it a shot but I assess my probability of getting it accordingly. Resellers are not the sole cause of this. Companies, customers and resellers all share the same amount of blame.

I never said it's a good thing per se. But it's unavoidable with items that are scarce on purpose.
The only way to get rid of it is to increase production numbers. But I guess the people complaining about not getting them wouldn't want them anymore IF they could get them.

Back
Top Bottom