The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

I’ve been wanting Midoriya to rip his arms off. Wish there was something that had a red kryptonite effect on him.

I didnt know they reanimated the ace vs blackbeard fight for the ending..

I wonder if theyll do filler of the ace chaps

I still say Aces death was the best and worst thing for the series. It helped it progress a lot...but it also took away probably the most popular charachter outside of luffy and zoro...
Then they had to re coup it with sabo...i wish sabo was used a different way...giving him aces power was cheap but cool homage at the same time.

ace's death is the biggest BS ever. the whole show nobody dies, Luffy shoulda been died several times. Fight against Crocodile where he missed his vital with the stab-through.. Luffy should've been dead. When Crocodile poisoned him, and Luffy was bleeding everywhere and just gathered massive strength while being lubricated in his own blood to hit Crocodile.. should've been dead. Ppl were saying God/Eneru was killing mad ppl with that huge shockwave.. How TF Usopp, Nami, and other commoners not die from getting hit by that blast then? Ok I understand maybe Zoro and Robyn survive cuz they're strong.. but everybody else??? They should all be dead.

DESPITE ALL THAT, I know it's a cartoon, so whatever.. but all that becomes relevant when ACE AND WHITEBEARD DIE the dumbest ******* way. Man that **** pissed me off.

How's Ace 2nd division commander of a fleet so powerful but he doesn't know how to use Haki?? He didn't use Haki against Smoker (Alabastas, they stalemated), he didn't use Haki against Akainu.. but we know he accidentally used Emperor's Haki in the flashback to when he was a kid. So basically, he didn't train his haki at all, just depended on his Devil Fruit powers.

How tf Ace was crying and saying "I see everyone putting an effort and dedication into saving me, so I now want to be ALIVE," dude even saw one of his besties Little Oars get bodied right in front of him, but then when Akainu uses the most childish way to insult, Ace decided to throw all that away over some childish remark???

Ace is spoiled.
Whitebeard made him 2nd div comm. cuz he's Roger's son, not cuz he's powerful (again, not trained in Haki). How are the whole damn seas everywhere fearful of Ace when he cant use haki??? Cuz he's Whitebeard's 2nd div comm. that's why. it's not cuz he's powerful, it's because they know if they get into it with Ace, they gonna get into it with a whole Yonko.

it's like trembling in fear of Goten or Gohan cuz their dad is Goku, or some kid gets one of the most important jobs in a global company because their parents own it... didn't have to grind for that **** smh he got that **** handed to him (2nd div commander)

Yeah, he was a cool character in Alabastas Arc, but after that, you just see him be insignificant af. U see him get whooped by Blackbeard and then u see him in shackles and chains and crying the whole time n finally getting killed. So, he was cool for a whole... 6 episodes? The rest of the time he's shown completely devastated.

really felt like a last second spur of the moment decision to kill off Ace. dont let me get started on Whitebeard, he ******* shattered reality/existence on Akainu with 1 blow and he still survived. Smfh. Very cheap sacrifice/way of having the story build into giving Luffy a reason to train OD hard for 2 years. If Ace had to die, it could've been written/done better... **** is just ******* stupid the way it happened.

^ ive thought about this for a long time and there’s really no explanation except bad writing. Ace shouldn’t be dead. Whitebeard I can see. But ace nah.

Oda should have found a way to kill garp instead.

ace's death is the biggest BS ever. the whole show nobody dies, Luffy shoulda been died several times. Fight against Crocodile where he missed his vital with the stab-through.. Luffy should've been dead. When Crocodile poisoned him, and Luffy was bleeding everywhere and just gathered massive strength while being lubricated in his own blood to hit Crocodile.. should've been dead. Ppl were saying God/Eneru was killing mad ppl with that huge shockwave.. How TF Usopp, Nami, and other commoners not die from getting hit by that blast then? Ok I understand maybe Zoro and Robyn survive cuz they're strong.. but everybody else??? They should all be dead.

DESPITE ALL THAT, I know it's a cartoon, so whatever.. but all that becomes relevant when ACE AND WHITEBEARD DIE the dumbest ****ing way. Man that **** pissed me off.

How's Ace 2nd division commander of a fleet so powerful but he doesn't know how to use Haki?? He didn't use Haki against Smoker (Alabastas, they stalemated), he didn't use Haki against Akainu.. but we know he accidentally used Emperor's Haki in the flashback to when he was a kid. So basically, he didn't train his haki at all, just depended on his Devil Fruit powers.

How tf Ace was crying and saying "I see everyone putting an effort and dedication into saving me, so I now want to be ALIVE," dude even saw one of his besties Little Oars get bodied right in front of him, but then when Akainu uses the most childish way to insult, Ace decided to throw all that away over some childish remark???

Ace is spoiled.
Whitebeard made him 2nd div comm. cuz he's Roger's son, not cuz he's powerful (again, not trained in Haki). How are the whole damn seas everywhere fearful of Ace when he cant use haki??? Cuz he's Whitebeard's 2nd div comm. that's why. it's not cuz he's powerful, it's because they know if they get into it with Ace, they gonna get into it with a whole Yonko.

it's like trembling in fear of Goten or Gohan cuz their dad is Goku, or some kid gets one of the most important jobs in a global company because their parents own it... didn't have to grind for that **** smh he got that **** handed to him (2nd div commander)

Yeah, he was a cool character in Alabastas Arc, but after that, you just see him be insignificant af. U see him get whooped by Blackbeard and then u see him in shackles and chains and crying the whole time n finally getting killed. So, he was cool for a whole... 6 episodes? The rest of the time he's shown completely devastated.

really felt like a last second spur of the moment decision to kill off Ace. dont let me get started on Whitebeard, he ****ing shattered reality/existence on Akainu with 1 blow and he still survived. Smfh. Very cheap sacrifice/way of having the story build into giving Luffy a reason to train OD hard for 2 years. If Ace had to die, it could've been written/done better... **** is just ****ing stupid the way it happened.

damn chief you snapped lol

Also I’m pretty sure Oda wasn’t completely sure on how he was gonna use haki at the time of marineford
still inexcusable because things have to make sense within universe and if new things are introduced, they need to be transitioned into smoothly.. not a rapid change the way he did it. **** is almost a complete 180, it's actually chaotic with how we gotta make sense of things.

despite all that, it's a good show nonetheless.. (overall)

still inexcusable because things have to make sense within universe and if new things are introduced, they need to be transitioned into smoothly.. not a rapid change the way he did it. **** is almost a complete 180, it's actually chaotic with how we gotta make sense of things.

despite all that, it's a good show nonetheless.. (overall)

I agree. and the power scaling is ****** right now. we literally have no clue who is more powerful than who.

I agree. and the power scaling is ****ed right now. we literally have no clue who is more powerful than who.
but we love OP not for its fights nor it's art-quality.. we love it cuz it's funny, innocent, at it base, we love the characterization. and for its most interesting parts- we love it because of the complex relationship that reflects the real world:
between pirates-the marines-world government, and the social caste system between the celestical dragons-civilians-fishmen/slaves.
included in that, we have the missing century (equivalent to real life government cover-ups)
we have criminals (pirates), some are criminals just because they're crooks and evil, we have criminals that are the biggest heroes because the laws are trash to start with, and amongst the 2nd latter of criminals, we have a sect of criminals who directly attack the feds (marines) called the revolutionaries

the feds (marines) are just puppets for the government who do their bidding. and the government is in bed with the most powerful criminals (the warlords), just like in real life.. where they turn a blind eye to the bad **** that they do (how coke gets into the country, etc, the govt profits off it but turns a blind eye to not directly acknowledge it).

a criminal organization can have the best heroes,
the government or the feds who are supposed to be the people's heroes, have the biggest villains in them
and the commoner folk is sheep who follows branding "i hate pirates cuz they're crooks, i love the gov't cuz they keep order, i love the marines they're good guys" but in reality.. it's all the same ****.

also, there are several twists, or almost justified bad actions or wrongdoings done... that's why we love OP.

for those reasons, i can turn a blind-eye to fight-related stuff like haki, devil fruit powers, powerscaling, who beats who, etc, and anything related to that.

if T. Law breaks the strawhat alliance.. that's a top anime betrayal right there tbh. i think he's too smart and too much of a plotter to not be using them like his own pawns... and why wouldn't he? there can only be, 1 king of the pirates after all

you're right about a few things. We love One piece mainly because there truly are no "'good guys" You purely pull for the characters you like.

As far as ace goes wavez was right, ODA didn't know how to explain Haki pre time skip. and he kind of rewinded on it post time skip to say oh these people did have it. The current ACE gaiden, it explains more how he has it.
Ace had apparently been that dude for awhile. More time than you think actually went by. Ace went to see a year before luffy and was already twice as strong as him..
ODA himself said how killing off Ace was a huge decision. the publishers didn't want him to do it at all but as I said earlier i think that helped progress the story even more... Killing both whitebeard and Ace at the same time is what gave one piece that serious shift it needed also imo... it wasn't as much fun and games after that.. I think doing that was huge.

The confusing power gap/levels in one piece is what makes it wonderful imo. It's more of a chess game with whose power can be better than whose. There was a video game back in the day called Destrega. That's what One piece reminds me of. Speed beats power, Power beats Magic, magic beats speed. Thats what One piece is too me. Luffy happens to have a power that is very beneficial to him against a lot of powers, but he'll probably never beat an ice or a fire type guy.
Crocodile was out of practice and over confident. luffy's' physical strength has always been up there.
I haven't really had a problem with any of the fights.

I can't see law breaking that alliance yet...i can see him secretly working for the government now after the talk with Sengoku

you're right about a few things. We love One piece mainly because there truly are no "'good guys" You purely pull for the characters you like.

As far as ace goes wavez was right, ODA didn't know how to explain Haki pre time skip. and he kind of rewinded on it post time skip to say oh these people did have it. The current ACE gaiden, it explains more how he has it.
Ace had apparently been that dude for awhile. More time than you think actually went by. Ace went to see a year before luffy and was already twice as strong as him..
ODA himself said how killing off Ace was a huge decision. the publishers didn't want him to do it at all but as I said earlier i think that helped progress the story even more... Killing both whitebeard and Ace at the same time is what gave one piece that serious shift it needed also imo... it wasn't as much fun and games after that.. I think doing that was huge.

The confusing power gap/levels in one piece is what makes it wonderful imo. It's more of a chess game with whose power can be better than whose. There was a video game back in the day called Destrega. That's what One piece reminds me of. Speed beats power, Power beats Magic, magic beats speed. Thats what One piece is too me. Luffy happens to have a power that is very beneficial to him against a lot of powers, but he'll probably never beat an ice or a fire type guy.
Crocodile was out of practice and over confident. luffy's' physical strength has always been up there.
I haven't really had a problem with any of the fights.

I can't see law breaking that alliance yet...i can see him secretly working for the government now after the talk with Sengoku

Oda actually didn't see why killing Ace was a big deal cause he had planned to kill him since his introduction, but his editor thought it was. I actually really liked Ace dying, there needed to be consequences, blackbeard and the marines needed to be actual threats, and Luffy needed the harsh reality to learn and grow. But yeah the Ace novels that just came out talk about how Ace had all 3 types of haki. He unlocked armament when fighting a vice admiral. Ace went out to sea 3 years before Luffy by the way. The agreement was they'd go out to sea once the were 17 and Ace is 3 years older than Luffy.

The haki mechanics definitely weren't worked out before the time skip, so it's made things sloppy a bit and hurts to older parts of the story especially with scenes with Shanks and Ace and even Crocodile. And honestly it seems like there's still layers to it we haven't gotten especially with conquer's haki that just But power scaling in one piece has never been straight forward for the most part. A lot of it is match up based, but there's also the base things like speed, power, etc. that will always be important in fights. But I've always liked that one piece fights have lots of variable like mindset, how well a character deals with pain, etc. It makes the fights interesting and dynamic, but you can still get a sense of where character stand for the most part, usually. Top tier characters are always going to have a great base of speed, power, and skill. But Oda's never really been interested in traditional power scaling which is why he poked fun at in Enies Lobby with the Douriki's CP9 had, cause he's never seen OP as a battle manga, it's an adventure manga with fights. But Devil fruit powers and things like that have worked well, except for Sugar's powers, Katakuri's special paramecia status, and potentially awakenings if those are all going to be the same.

Also someone said we don't love One Piece for it's art quality. One Piece has good art. It's non-traditional and goofy on purpose, but the art isn't bad. The art is part of what makes the series work and it was done so to help it stand out and stick with people. Why the fights work and a lot of the characterization and face faults, goofy antics, interesting settings, and all the things that make the series fun and innocent at it's core is in part due to the art.

As for Law, he might break the alliance eventually, but I don't think he plans to play the Strawhats anymore. He's always respected Luffy and a fellow D clan member it seems, but he was willing to use them against Doflamingo rather than putting his own crew at risk. But after defeating Doflamingo and avenging Corazon I don't see him betraying them. Also don't think he made any deal with Sengoku. Sengoku is basically retired, so no deal he'd make would stand with Akainu and Law hates the government. Plus is Law really that good of a plotter?

Y'all make me wanna catch up on OP...I fell off right after the Mink Tribe and at the beginning of the wedding.

Great analysis on the Ace death being poorly written btw. I believe Oda had most of the plot figured out in his head when he started, but his treatment of Ace kinda shows the potential pitfalls of that style of writing. His pacing was off and he didn't provide enough context to make his death make sense, even though it still felt meaningful and drove the story.

Im about to watch Boruto, but i hear a lot of problems about the beginning of the series.

So the question for yall who have watched it, do yall recommend just watching the series straight thru or is there an episode i can start on and go from there?

Y'all make me wanna catch up on OP...I fell off right after the Mink Tribe and at the beginning of the wedding.

Great analysis on the Ace death being poorly written btw. I believe Oda had most of the plot figured out in his head when he started, but his treatment of Ace kinda shows the potential pitfalls of that style of writing. His pacing was off and he didn't provide enough context to make his death make sense, even though it still felt meaningful and drove the story.
But as @leb said wasnt that more the publisher not wanting that so he had to dance around it

But as @leb said wasnt that more the publisher not wanting that so he had to dance around it
I think his point was that although Oda didn't see a reason not to kill Ace, his publisher did. He still ended up going through with Ace's death though, and I think the criticisms supersaiyangod levied against how he handled that were mostly spot on.

It's really funny though - when I think back to how his death impacted me, I was less impacted by his actual killing and more struck by Luffy's reaction to it. While I didn't feel so much for Ace, seeing Luffy acting and drawn in a way that I'd never seen before was really powerful. It really wasn't until I read SSG's post that I realized the shortcomings in how Ace's story was told. Interesting.

I think his point was that although Oda didn't see a reason not to kill Ace, his publisher did. He still ended up going through with Ace's death though, and I think the criticisms supersaiyangod levied against how he handled that were mostly spot on.

It's really funny though - when I think back to how his death impacted me, I was less impacted by his actual killing and more struck by Luffy's reaction to it. While I didn't feel so much for Ace, seeing Luffy acting and drawn in a way that I'd never seen before was really powerful. It really wasn't until I read SSG's post that I realized the shortcomings in how Ace's story was told. Interesting.

I don't think Oda cared to build out Ace's story that wasn't important in his mind. It was a plot device to set up things going forward from the moment he was introduced. People liked Ace so we've gotten novels to give his background and what not. The point wasn't to be attached to Ace when he died. You have it exactly right, you felt bad for Luffy, that was the attachment to Ace, Luffy gave it his all and still failed, for the first time in the series, that was the impact moment moreso than Ace's death because you felt Luffy's devastation. Prior to marineford, ever time we see Ace it's related to him taking care of Luffy - stopping smoker for Luffy, taking out the billions for Luffy, rushing into the fight with blackbeard when after blackbeard tells him Luffy is his target, then when he dies it's protecting Luffy. It's Luffy's story.

Oda doesn't let the story go too many chapters without Luffy, because we're supposed to be seeing these things with/through him for the most part. Which is why we don't see Ace's background, it's not technically important and Luffy doesn't know it either. We know Ace is respected and in powerful pirate crew, we know he's strong because other strong, character who would be considered reliable narrators told us so and he was killed by a top tier character not some bum below his level. Anything deeper as it relates to Ace is a nice to have, but in the story structure we couldn't get it. It's the drawback of having the story follow Luffy so closely, there's tons of story and background we miss. It's not Ace's death that was sloppy writing, it's the sloppy introduction of Haki that is and it's had a sweeping impact on how people are viewing past events before it's introduction, whether that;s fair or unfair doesn't matter. It what happens when a story is only loosely planned out in advance and runs on for so long and the writer has tons of ideas to incorporate, it's not always going to be seamless, especially with editors of different experience, talent levels, and preferences rotating in and out the biggest quality control net isn't that strong either.

Also someone said we don't love One Piece for it's art quality. One Piece has good art. It's non-traditional and goofy on purpose, but the art isn't bad. The art is part of what makes the series work and it was done so to help it stand out and stick with people. Why the fights work and a lot of the characterization and face faults, goofy antics, interesting settings, and all the things that make the series fun and innocent at it's core is in part due to the art.

objectively, i'd agree (mostly) if we were strictly talking about manga. the anime art quality is trash. that's what kept me away from one piece for a long time. the manga though, which i haven't read thoroughly and see panels here and there, i'd agree entirely with what you're saying (although, compared to others it's not my favorite-type of art style, however that's subjective to me and doesn't influence my outlook on the anime's art quality). I recently seen some clips of them re-doing Skypeia Arc, and they actually look polished and great.

i remember though, i initially never wanted to watch OP because of random clips ppl showed me.. i was like "this **** ugly." then when i finally began watching it, I remember being like "wow.. this is the closest feeling I get from watching Dragon Ball the first time as a 6 or 7 year old.. it's so fun," getting used to the art style, and then eventually maybe 60 episodes later going "ok there are some really super sloppy and horrendous looking art in this show sometimes..."

seeing rob lucci's zoan form the first time at like episode 302 or whatever<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
i was like this **** is ugly as ****. i looked up panels of Lucci in the manga in his DF form... and the panels look ******* great. im gonna start reading the manga from scratch soon to note the differences and to see the actual originally intended artwork.

does the manga have translation issues? i know the anime sub does.. i think the dub (funimation) is much better with the translations or adapted script IMO.

Yeah, I felt extremely bad for Luffy. He went through hell and back, shortened his lifespan with the usage of Iva's steroids, confronted his grampa head on, even teamed-up with a guy he despsies who tormented his friend (talking about Crocodile's villainy towards Vivi and Alabasta) so much determination, energy, time, all wasted. He was sooooo close too... It was extremely sad. when he regained consciousness and started crying too.. very emotional scene considering all that had happened

objectively, i'd agree (mostly) if we were strictly talking about manga. the anime art quality is trash. that's what kept me away from one piece for a long time. the manga though, which i haven't read thoroughly and see panels here and there, i'd agree entirely with what you're saying (although, compared to others it's not my favorite-type of art style, however that's subjective to me and doesn't influence my outlook on the anime's art quality). I recently seen some clips of them re-doing Skypeia Arc, and they actually look polished and great.

i remember though, i initially never wanted to watch OP because of random clips ppl showed me.. i was like "this **** ugly." then when i finally began watching it, I remember being like "wow.. this is the closest feeling I get from watching Dragon Ball the first time as a 6 or 7 year old.. it's so fun," getting used to the art style, and then eventually maybe 60 episodes later going "ok there are some really super sloppy and horrendous looking art in this show sometimes..."

seeing rob lucci's zoan form the first time at like episode 302 or whatever<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
i was like this **** is ugly as ****. i looked up panels of Lucci in the manga in his DF form... and the panels look ****ing great. im gonna start reading the manga from scratch soon to note the differences and to see the actual originally intended artwork.

does the manga have translation issues? i know the anime sub does.. i think the dub (funimation) is much better with the translations or adapted script IMO.

Yeah I was talking solely about the manga. I also agree that art isn't the most appealing at first and it's definitely not my favorite of all the series I've read, but it really works well with the story. The art quality tends to consistently be solid for the most part. Oda draws everything that moves to make sure there's consistency and lets the assistants do backgrounds.

Yeah they've been doing long condensed versions of arcs with improved art and animation, Skypiea being the most recent. But I hear they cut so much out that people are really disappointed.

The manga translations might be a bit off early on nothing atrocious though if I remember correctly. I think the colored version of the manga was re-translated more recently so those should be good and goes to the beginning of whole cake island. You'll get to see the cover stories as well when you read it and the slight story differences.

Back
Top Bottom