The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

2Sappy mentioned it when it first started, so I'm pretty sure he does, and I've been following it because of him. I'm liking it a lot so far.

That progress made this last chapter, right after things started seeming even more hopeless :pimp:
I convinced someone to read a manga? Sweet. :lol:

But yes, I do follow it. I like it a lot.

I convinced someone to read a manga? Sweet. :lol:

But yes, I do follow it. I like it a lot.

My memory is failing me right now, but I know this wasn't the first time you've put me onto something :lol:

I always peep recommendations in here, and I was especially interested because it was a new series.

Hell, after seeing the love that the members in here have for it and watching some random YouTube video ("Why You Should Watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure") the other day, I'm even about to give JoJo another shot.

Last edited:
Sanji just been holding Ls since the New World Saga started

Son hasn't won a single fight

That Fishman Island trash don't count.

Last edited:
Sanji just been holding Ls since the New World Saga started

Son hasn't won a single fight

That Fishman Island trash don't count.
He hasn't had a single real fight until this new arc vergo broke his leg then he went up against doflamingo and he can't beat him for simple plot reasons he one shotted sheapshead and he's been getting cheated ever since that stuff he pulled on Capone was cool though

Saw this on crunyrolls Twitter. Wonder if it's real or not

What is the best anime you would recommend to someone who has never seen an anime?

Film and series

What is the best anime you would recommend to someone who has never seen an anime?

Film and series

For film I would choose a Miyazaki film. They are universal and don't require you to know a ton about Japan

-Princess Mononoke
- Howls moving castle
- Spiritied away

For something more grounded, try 5 centimeters per second. Love story, interesting characters etc

For actual series, it gets much harder because there's a lot more and various genre etc. I know people are gonna sing the praises of OPM but that's not even a remotely good show from a story stand point. I'll go with

- Attack on Titan.

Not the greatest show ever created but for a 25 ep or whatever it is first season, it's incredibly engaging, bleek, great story, twist turns etc. doesn't require a ton of investment

Last edited:
Films I have to agree and say that the person should go with something from Miyazaki. I watched my first Miyazaki film as a kid, so i'd say you don't even need to necessarily tailor the recommendation by the person's age. Princess Mononoke is my personal favorite film by him and easily one of my favorite films of all time, which I watch multiple times a year, but the person could just as easily go with My Neighbor Totoro or Howl's Moving Castle. The selection really is just that amazing. As you get older more things will stick out to you and you'll probably learn more about Japanese culture in general, especially if you're interested in anime, but that just makes the experience better.

If I were to step out from that specific catalogue i'd also suggest The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Good blend of fantasy and romance, which takes the idea of short range time travel and doesn't use it on some universal scale. Great concept and also a film I rewatch on a regular basis.

Series are a lot harder, because less of them are universal to me and I think that's really something you have to go for. Usually when someone asks me for a recommendation I begin by asking what their favorite genre is, because for some people I would suggest a Gundam series, for others I might suggest Samurai X, and another person might get History's Mightiest Disciple. I think Attack on Titan is a solid suggestion that a lot of people would go for and let me also throw Cowboy Bebop into the ring. I think Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood could work as well. Longer than Bebop and really requires you to actually pay attention to the plot, since everything connects, but it really will prepare you for the vast world of anime you're about to get involved in. Great animation and music, combined with an interesting storyline and powers/abilities that are well used.

Honestly, if I knew for a fact the person liked Mecha then Gurren Lagann would be it for something that you can really blow through quickly.

Last edited:
Miyazaki and Kon are the two gods of anime cinema and required viewing. For Miyazaki you can pretty much choose any, Porco Rosso is my favorite :lol:

For Kon, I would go with Tokyo Godfathers.

I also love everything Mamoru Hosoda has done. Wolf Children and Summer Wars are great.

I will vouch for the girl who leapt through time

And

Giovanni's island

Tokyo Godfathers

The Cat Returns

Akiko: Time of Eve

Hal (Anime Robot Movie)
[h1]Bayonetta: Bloody Fate  [/h1][h1]Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day  (Pretty Sad) [/h1]
Wolf Children! <=== This was clutch!

Colorful < ==== Deals with reincarnation, suicide and a lot of elements, Something I'll watch again now that I'm older, Actually think I will watch it again this week
[h1]Tekkonkinkreet[/h1]
Aachi and Ssipak  <==== WILD!

The Cat Returns is an underrated gem in all honesty.

Not even in my Top 5 Ghibli films or anything, but a really charming coming of age story that takes this kind of ridiculous concept and makes you invested in it. Nowhere near as dramatic as some of the company's other films, but a good film that you can always sit down and enjoy. Definitely suggest it to anyone that's never seen it before.

Anyone see the Kiwi no Na Wa movie yet? Thinking about watching since it dethroned FMA brotherhood for #1 ranked anime on MAL

Anyone see the Kiwi no Na Wa movie yet? Thinking about watching since it dethroned FMA brotherhood for #1 ranked anime on MAL
Not yet but I've been hearing a lot of buzz about it. They say that it makes up for the ending of 5 centimeters per second

KissAnime has it up and I've almost watched it on 2 or 3 different occasions now, but I'm holding off until a better quality version is available.

I need to finally watch these type of movies. I still have grave of the fireflies on que. Also havent read manga in about 2-3 weeks im behind on one piece by about12 weeks

Grave of the Fireflies is one of the most heartbreaking movies I've ever seen.

From beginning to end it strums your heartstrings like a guitar.

If you can watch that whole movie and not shed a single tear you are broken inside.

It may be impossible dude. Maybe because I watched it after having my wisdom teeth taking out and I was still on pin Meds, but that movie destroyed me inside

I'm going to take that challenge too :lol:

Sad anime always has me like "Damn :frown:", but these joints that people claim leave them in shambles have almost never broke me down.

Last edited:
Not shambles but at least once during your viewing you should be holding back tears. At least once.

If not then I'm sorry for whatever happened in your life to make you that way. 

I held out for most of it but at the end I had to let a few thug tears loose. 

Not shambles but at least once during your viewing you should be holding back tears. At least once.
If not then I'm sorry for whatever happened in your life to make you that way. 

I held out for most of it but at the end I had to let a few thug tears loose. 

Got you :lol:

I'll give it a watch later today since I had been meaning to anyways.

Back
Top Bottom