* The Official Jay-Z: Blueprint 3 Post [3rd single: Empire State Of Mind]

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

There are a lot of good songs on here, but there are more bad ones than I'd expect from a Jay-Z album at this point.

1. What We Talkin' About
Great intro song. Not really talkin' about anything, but that's usually how intro tracks go. 4/5

2. Thank You
Solid beat. Only thing lacking is the hook, but it's serviceable. 4/5

3. DOA
We all know this one. He didn't go as far as he could've, but it's a solid track, and it (should've) set the tone for the album. 3.5/5

4. Run This Town (feat. Kanye West & Rihanna)
I personally really like this track. The beat is great. I don't see anything wrong with the verses from either artist, although they're nothing special. 3.5/5

5. Empire State of Mind (feat. Alicia Keys)
This has an RD, early-Jay type feel to it, with it's live-sounding percussion. The lyrics are very solid, and Alicia murders the hook. 4.5/5

6. As Real As It Gets (feat. Young Jeezy)
This would've been better without Young Jeezy, especially with the features mounting up at this point in the album (although I'm not a Jeezy fan). 3/5

7. On To the Next One
Pretty solid track, but the drums sound a little "cheap" like Swizz just took stock 808 sounds, which some of you may not mind. 3/5

8. Off That (feat. Drake)
*!+. Not as bad as reactions made it out to be, but it's close. Jay got fooled into Timbo's reputation and Drake's hype. You didn't need to try and make another SexyBack you $+!$*@ idiot. 0.5/5

9. A Star Is Born (feat. J. Cole)
Great concept, lyrics, flow, and production. "T.I. literally wanted to shoot up the charts"
laugh.gif
J. Cole really shines too. 4.5/5

10. Venus Vs. Mars
Jay's lyrics are extremely clever and full of double entendres. The beat is a little lacking though. If anyone else offered Jay this beat, he would've laughed. 2.5/5

11. Already Home (feat. Kid CuDi)
The beat is soulful and vintage Kanye. Jay's flow is on point. My only gripe is that John Legend would've sounded much better on the hook, but I'm not mad at CuDi. 5/5

12. Hate (feat. Kanye West)
This kinda sucks. I think the only reason why it doesn't completely suck is because, as a Jay+Kanye track, I want to like it. But the only way the beat works is to bump it in a car, which isn't saying much because any beat with 808 bass drums knocks in a car. Both their flows and lyrics serve to drag down the plodding track even more. 1.5/5

13. Reminder
The song has a decent vibe and Jay rides with it pretty well. But something seems off, even beside the chorus. The beat sounds off-key or something. 2.5/5

14. So Ambitious (feat. Pharrell)
This is another highly average beat that Jay decides to add nothing to. Sounds like a Blueprint 2 reject, which is saying a lot. 2/5

15. Young Forever (feat. Mr. Hudson)
Hudson sounds like Matthew Santos (and Chris Martin), which in turn makes the song sound like a Lupe track. Which is A-OK in my book. The beat is awesome, and Jay comes through. The age-subject matter thing might be a little offputting, but I don't mind it. As much as I like it, if you edit it, you can use it as a graduation song. At any grade level. 4.5/5

OVERALL: One thing I don't really like is how many features there are. Even cutting out one (Jeezy) would've made the album flow better. One other thing that would've helped would've been to cut out one of those lame Timbo tracks - which would've made the other two that were left seem less lame.

There are a handful of great songs on this album, but only "Empire State of Mind" and "Already Home" have any sort of potential to being classics. "A Star Is Born" is up there. "Young Forever" is actually my personal favorite, but it DOES sound a little melodramatic.

In the end, the album as a whole could've benefitted by some addition by subtraction. "History" or even "Jockin' Jay-Z" would've worked in place of a number of tracks, as people have mentioned.

qft

laugh.gif
@ the blatant hate now surfacing.

How anyone could rate Empire State Of Mind as 3/5 is beyond me... and the reasoning is because of the song title like come on
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by YaBoyDiddy

"Now these %#%*@* mad...oh the call me a camel, but I mastered the drought $*+ I'm an animal.
Half man, half mammal. My sign is a Sag' this is just what I plan to do."

"I'm in the hall already, on the wall already, I'm a work of art - I'm a Warhol already
On another level, on another plane already, H.O.V. - I got my own lane already"

sick.gif

sick.gif

Illustrious' "review" was
laugh.gif
. You tellin me not one trackon the entire album is a 5/5? You wylin, Empire State Of Mind is one of the best songs to come out this year easily.

What We Talkin Bout - not lyrically on the level of some of his other intros but it's still solid, beat is EPIC 4/5

Thank You - don't really like the Slick Rick accent, but lyrics are pretty clever 4/5

D.O.A. - don't really like this song at all, beat his hard too bad his lyrics weren't. And that god awful "Uhh" every bar
sick.gif
2/5

Run This Town - beat is sick and so are the lyrics from Jay and Kanye, if Rihanna didn't sound like a dying crow then it'd be perfect 4/5

Empire State Of Mind - best song I've heard this year, would have loved to hear Nas on this we know he needs the money 5/5

As Real As It Gets - Young Jeezy feature = instant crack to me, Jeezy actually rips this !$@! give dude a listen 5/5

On To The Next One - love the beat, how can you not bob your head to this? can't wait to hear it in the club. First verse is dedicated to all yall
stuck in 1996 4.5/5

Off That - I wish it was "Off" this album, garbage 0/5

Star Is Born - never listened to J Cole before this...now i will. reminds me of Lupe. 4.5/5

Venus vs Mars - clever, but forgettable. Hov monotone for the enitre song
grin.gif
2/5

Already Home - SICKENING, Ye murdered this beat, glad Cudi was only on the hook. The camel line
laugh.gif
5/5

Hater - I "hate" Kanye's attempt at a verse
indifferent.gif
, beatis futuristic I'll give him that 2/5

Reminder - with a new hook it would be flames 4/5

So Ambitious - smooth as hell, love the hook 5/5

Forever Young - All I can think about is Napoleon Dynamite when I hear this 2.5/5
NapoleonDynamite3.jpg

I LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!! I just woke up and started banging it...I think it could do without two tracks, but other than that REALLY CLOSE TO CLASSIC, it has thatRD feel...I'll be banging it all day...F all the haters...This album is going to be better than anything coming out...

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Is it just me or is Jay mentioning throwbacks to much? That era ended a while ago.
Yeah thats one qualm I have about the album, Jay harped on the trends he helped to start and end a bit too much

The thing i love about Twitter is that now there's a way of aggregating opinions on everything, whereas you get biased/unbiased opinions on websites likeSOHH, AHH and on here. The album seems to get a positive rating from the tweets I saw some have issues with it, some that I share as well but its not beingblasted like some of the reviews on here.

I really like the album.

Empire State of mind should have just been called "New York". If that video is done right, it has the chance to be something special.

Venus vs. Mars is becoming one of my favorites.

Off that and Reminder are the only tracks that are ehh...

I'm the last person to give Jay credit, but I have a new found respect for this man and BP3 is
pimp.gif

"Hov on that new s***, n***** like how come? N***** want that old S***, buy my old albums"
sick.gif

Hov is to rap what Will Smith is to acting.

You wouldn't go see a new Will Smith movie and expect for him to act as if he's still living with Uncle Phil....

BP3 shows maturity and growth

It'll take time grow on ya'll just like 808's and heartbreaks did.

9.5/10
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by MissinPieces

I'm the last person to give Jay credit, but I have a new found respect for this man and BP3 is
pimp.gif

"Hov on that new s***, n***** like how come? N***** want that old S***, buy my old albums"
sick.gif

You wouldn't go see a new Will Smith movie and expect for him to act as if he's still living with Uncle Phil....

9.5/10
smokin.gif

^ said it best...
this album is dopeeeeee

"ALREADY HOME" is on some whole other #*@$....i mean who honestly, besides hov, could make such a flawless tracklike that?

even cudi came thru and shut ti down....ALREADY HOME > YOUR FAVORITE RAPPERS BEST TRACK THIS YEAR...

song goes wayyyy to %+@#%* hard...

Originally Posted by MissinPieces

pimp.gif

sick.gif

9.5/10
smokin.gif
This.

Why are people acting like "Reminder" is bad but no mentions of "Hate"? Hate is one of the worst Jay songs ever, up there with "I KnowWhat Girls Like" and "Too Many #@@+". Reminder is hard if you actually listen to the lyrics. He bodies that #%*$.

All the people complaining about subject matter and #%*$... "do you dudes listen to music or do you skim through it????" If you actually take thetime to hear what Jay is saying on most of these tracks, he's on point lyrically, and on that introspective tip lyrically. I guess dudes wanted anotherAmerican Gangster with him pretending to be a dealer still? Please.

The strong tracks shine hard, some of Hov's best actual music of all time. Truly timeless music in joints like "Thank You", "Empire..",and "Already Home".

"Hate" should've never been released, though.

However, anyone rating this album already is a fool. Even if you listened to it non-stop since yesterday, there's no way you can make a fair assessment inless than 24 hours, so keep your ratings to yourself.

I was fixin to write off this album and Hov's run at the top...

My bad Jay.

S_ is immaculate.

SMH @ me.

I got goosebumps off that Empire State. He got that BP swag on full tilt on here. Witty as hell. A star is born is crazy too, bigged up the whole game. Felllike an authentic evolution.

Word on the streets is that it leaked yesterday huh?!?!?!

*twiddles thumbs*

Interesting...

*continues to twiddle thumbs*

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

Forever Young - All I can think about is Napoleon Dynamite when I hear this 2.5/5
NapoleonDynamite3.jpg
lmao I played this track for my brother and thats the first thing he said about it
laugh.gif

but this is one of the few tracks I'm feeling on the album
embarassed.gif
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

*twiddles thumbs*

Interesting...

nerd.gif
Cake you couldn't tell by the thread jumping from 98 to 128 in less than 24hrs
laugh.gif

Are you guys serious??!?! I am a HUGE Jay fan, and I feel quite disrespected by this BP3. His delivery is off the whole album (doesnt have that crisp soundthat we are used to) and his flow just doesnt measure up. I mean the thing that he is most famous for is lacking big time and is all most non-existant (doubleentendre). Im from the era when you would have to rewind a Jay track back like 8 times so that you could figure out the flow and be like "DAMN" onceyou got the double meaning.

This album just doesnt add up. I guess its a ok rap album, but not a good JAY album. Easily at the bottom of his works. I'll take Slaughter House all dayover it in 2009
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

*twiddles thumbs*

Interesting...

nerd.gif
Cake you couldn't tell by the thread jumping from 98 to 128 in less than 24hrs
laugh.gif

Nah I heard it was out yesterday... I just wasn't pressed to hear it at the time, but I'm not really in a mood to hear anything on my external rightnow so.......
nerd.gif

Did son really call Haters one of Jays worst songs?o_0

This s_ is absolute flames.

Hoover...Hova...Had girlies in gurdles weighin more than they supposed ta.

*SLAMS FIST ON DESK AND WALKS AROUND THE OFFICE DISGUSTEDLY*

_ said he stretch work...yoga & knock pounds off like Al Roker. SMH

I hope somebody paid homage to the homie Cake's request...

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Did son really call Haters one of Jays worst songs?o_0

This s_ is absolute flames.

Hoover...Hova...Had girlies in gurdles weighin more than they supposed ta.

*SLAMS FIST ON DESK AND WALKS AROUND THE OFFICE DISGUSTEDLY*

_ said he stretch work...yoga & knock pounds off like Al Roker. SMH

I hope somebody paid homage to the homie Cake's request...

They actin like Hov wasnt "in the kitchen like a Simmons whippin Pastries"

Back
Top Bottom