THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
I open this thread and I see a discussion of other players using the mamba nickname that in no way is informative about this shoe release. The only thing that is even remotely useful is that Nick Young will be wearing the 9s on Thurs? the rest is just pointless chatter.

Can we stay on point?
mean.gif

Any of you Kobe fans even know when and where the black mamba nickname came from?

I don't remember hearing it until those Nike commercials for like the 6's or something and at the time thinking that it was odd for a player who has been around so long to be trying to give himself a nickname so late in his career.

Either way it seems to have stuck...with some of the younger fans at least.

I don't think we ever referred to him as anything other than Kobe prior to 05.

View media item 433795

I open this thread and I see a discussion of other players using the mamba nickname that in no way is informative about this shoe release. The only thing that is even remotely useful is that Nick Young will be wearing the 9s on Thurs? the rest is just pointless chatter.
Can we stay on point?:smh:

I hate when ppl who contribute little to nothing to a thread try to police it.

You want to change the topic, bring some information to the table or spark up a conversation of greater value.

Any of you Kobe fans even know when and where the black mamba nickname came from?

I don't remember hearing it until those Nike commercials for like the 6's or something and at the time thinking that it was odd for a player who has been around so long to be trying to give himself a nickname so late in his career.

Either way it seems to have stuck...with some of the younger fans at least.

I don't think we ever referred to him as anything other than Kobe prior to 05.
---------------------------

Not sure but I picked up a bunch of clues from Kill Bill Vol 2. I'm most likely wrong though.

kobe gave himself that nickname.. Nike ran with it for the 6's

Edit: sorry didn't fully read. From interviews, Kobe said he knew of the snake (not sure if he was his fav or something) but didn't elaborate on how he came to know the snake.

Last edited:
Kobe gave himself the nickname based off the actual Mamba's ability to strike within an instant, circa '06 to my knowledge.

:lol: you're getting your Mambas mixed up man. Scalabrine's the White Mamba.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post/_/id/6750/white-mamba-fan-fave-on-off-the-court
AHHHHHH I STAND CORRECTED SO:

BLACK MAMBA: BEAN
RED MAMBA: BONNER
WHITE MAMBA: B SCALZ
YELLOW MAMBA: J LIN

WHOS DA GREEN AND PINK MAMBA?

what is going on with NT

we have 1 member who uses a crayola box when writing his posts

and now this guy's TYPING IN ALL CAPS.

:smh:

:lol: you're getting your Mambas mixed up man. Scalabrine's the White Mamba.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post/_/id/6750/white-mamba-fan-fave-on-off-the-court
AHHHHHH I STAND CORRECTED SO:

BLACK MAMBA: BEAN
RED MAMBA: BONNER
WHITE MAMBA: B SCALZ
YELLOW MAMBA: J LIN

WHOS DA GREEN AND PINK MAMBA?

what is going on with NT

we have 1 member who uses a crayola box when writing his posts

and now this guy's TYPING IN ALL CAPS.

:smh:

THAT'S NOTHING NEW, MEMPHIS HAS BEEN TYPING LIKE THAT BEFORE ROBIN.

Last edited:

kobe gave himself that nickname.. Nike ran with it for the 6's

Edit: sorry didn't fully read. From interviews, Kobe said he knew of the snake (not sure if he was his fav or something) but didn't elaborate on how he came to know the snake.

Kobe gave himself the nickname based off the actual Mamba's ability to strike within an instant, circa '06 to my knowledge.

Kobe got it from Kill Bill 2

Kobe's logo was also inspired by the samurai makers logo in the film.
View media item 758914

It is also where the Bruce Lee inspired Kobe V came from because the main protagonist in the film wore a yellow jumpsuit like Bruce Lee did in his old film.
View media item 758915View media item 758916View media item 758917

Last edited:
Probably but as you can see from his logo on the sole, the same one inspired from the movie, that Kill Bill obviously triggered it.

I remember Kobe being on Bruce Lee documentary that aired on Spike iirc, he is a big and longtime Bruce Lee fan but it seemed like he didn't really show it to the public until he donned the name Black Mamba, which came from the movie.

Overall it is connected to each other but it seems like the movie and Kobes fondness of it sparked the idea and it snowballed from there on out.

Back
Top Bottom