The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

i just gt a macbook and have a few questions ... how do i change the icons on my dock to custom pics ?? or change my widget itunes player to sometin coool ?

Originally Posted by AC4Three

What do you guys recommend for a keyboard to use with my macbook pro? I plan on using it with an external display, and I'm wondering whether the apple bluetooth keyboard is worth the money. Or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
The Apple wireless keyboard is money! I use it with my Macbook + Dell 2209WA external monitor and it works flawlessly. The price may be steep forsome but in terms of size and design, nothing beats it. Add the fact that it feels just like the Mabook keys makes the transition that much smoother.

Originally Posted by 2wenty thre3

Originally Posted by AIR Kamote23

Anyone else using VLC player as their default media player?

I usually have an icon/thumbnail preview of my .avi files, but for some reason it's the default cone icon on all my .avi's file.. I went to show view options and I do have 'show icon preview' checked... Any help would be appreciated..

I use VLC as my default media player but I'm not really sure what you mean...what icon do you want to appear?...did you associate all your avi files to VLC?
The .avi files I had before would show a video preview of the .avi file... Now, I have that orange cone on the .avi files....

OK I get what you mean...since you make VLC as the default player, it will show like that.Before, the default is Quicktime and if you have all the plugins (forex divx, etc), you will see that video preview thing.

Try to uninstall/re-install VLC and don't associate your avi files if you don't want to see the VLC icon (orange icon).Then if you want to play it,either drag the file to the VLC player or right-click then open with VLC.

HTH.

Originally Posted by apr607

I just recently downloaded some icons. How do I install/use them?

Well there are a couple of ways.. you need to install a program, I use Candybar which is
pimp.gif
. Then you just drag the icon into the program you want.

Originally Posted by CDub Yo

Originally Posted by CDub Yo

I recently bought an external hard drive for my Macbook Pro. When I first plugged it in it backed up everything on my laptop. Since then, whenever I plug in the HD nothing happens besides the icon popping up. Is it automatically backing up any new info once I plug it in or am I missing a step?

nerd.gif

I am not 100% sure; but if you click time machine it should show you what it going on.

Originally Posted by KingJaffeJo

Hey guys
Are any of you having a problem where you have to download files from zshare instead of just streaming it straight from there? Is there anyway to change this? thanx
yeah. this happens to be a lot some times it works sometimes it doesn't I just download it. It is usaully a quicktime plug-in that is workingincorrectly.

Originally Posted by AIR Kamote23

AIR Kamote23 wrote:

2wenty thre3 wrote:

Anyone else using VLC player as their default media player?

I usually have an icon/thumbnail preview of my .avi files, but for some reason it's the default cone icon on all my .avi's file.. I went to show
view options and I do have 'show icon preview' checked... Any help would be appreciated..

I use VLC as my default media player but I'm not really sure what you mean...what icon do you want to appear?...did you associate all your avi files to
VLC?
The .avi files I had before would show a video preview of the .avi file... Now, I have that orange cone on the .avi files....

OK I get what you mean...since you make VLC as the default player, it will show like that.Before, the default is Quicktime and if you have all the plugins (for ex divx, etc), you will see that video preview thing.

Try to uninstall/re-install VLC and don't associate your avi files if you don't want to see the VLC icon (orange icon).Then if you want to play it, either drag the file to the VLC player or right-click then open with VLC.

HTH.

Im sure there is another way, VLC is my default player but I can still see the video preview on the icon and the *play* button still comes up in the middle.Sometimes it just takes a while to load (no longer than 10-15 seconds).

not sure if anyone else is having this problem but it seems like firefox is taking awfully long to close. btwi have a Macbook Pro unibodied with snow leopard

Originally Posted by kevL7

not sure if anyone else is having this problem but it seems like firefox is taking awfully long to close. btwi have a Macbook Pro unibodied with snow leopard

Do you have the latest version of Firefox; and I would say unistall it. Because snow leopard had made some of my programs slower but when i installed it, andreinstalled it was fine. Is RAM covered on AppleCare and how do you go about checking if it is corrupt?

Just started using a Mac, and I'm not able to view NT like I used to, well it's only when I want to respond. All of the options that would be on thePC(quoting, grabbing pics from Photobucket, smilies, etc) aren't there when I respond to things. Also when I try to copy and paste, it tries to put thingsin one huge paragraph. Is it Safari?? I'm not able to use the drop down menus either...

Originally Posted by vintuc

Im sure there is another way, VLC is my default player but I can still see the video preview on the icon and the *play* button still comes up in the middle. Sometimes it just takes a while to load (no longer than 10-15 seconds).

Interesting....what VLC and MAC OS version are you using? Do you see this play button at the middle on all video types or just avi files?

Originally Posted by NCTwin

Just started using a Mac, and I'm not able to view NT like I used to, well it's only when I want to respond. All of the options that would be on the PC(quoting, grabbing pics from Photobucket, smilies, etc) aren't there when I respond to things. Also when I try to copy and paste, it tries to put things in one huge paragraph. Is it Safari?? I'm not able to use the drop down menus either...

Yeah it's Safari, some peeps have reported that they aren't able to see all of the options with Safari. Swith to Firefox instead
pimp.gif

[h3]Low-End Mac Mini Shipping Date Slips Slightly, Additional Reports of iMac Shortages Surface[/h3]
122417-mac_mini_shipping_date.png
The shipping window for Apple's low-end Mac mini in the company's U.S. and Canadian online stores has slipped today to "1-3 business days" from the usual "Within 24hrs" timeframe, adding further hints of supply constraints and a possible refresh for Apple's diminutive desktop computer. The move comes on the heels of reports that Apple has notified its retail stores of shortages of the low-end Mac mini, as well as all four iMac configurations.

TUAW today also adds additional detail on desktop shortage claims, noting that an employee at one Apple retail store has reported only four iMacs in stock at that location, far below usual stock levels.
Several of our tipsters work for Apple Authorized re-sellers who are running very low on desktop supplies, even an Apple Store tip says they have 4 iMacs in stock. When I worked at the Apple Store, there were always 40+ iMacs in stock. Having 4 in a store is just unheard of -- unless there's something in the works.
Another source reports that they placed an order for a Mac mini earlier this month and initially received indication that the machine would ship in a timely manner, only to have the shipping date recently adjusted to October 9th.

Reports in recent weeks and months have suggested that iMac and MacBook updates are due in the near future, and while details on a potential Mac mini upgrade have been scarce, mounting evidence suggests that Apple has changes in store for the line of budget desktops as well.

iMac shortages? You know what that means...new iMacs coming soon
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

Just started using a Mac, and I'm not able to view NT like I used to, well it's only when I want to respond. All of the options that would be on the PC(quoting, grabbing pics from Photobucket, smilies, etc) aren't there when I respond to things. Also when I try to copy and paste, it tries to put things in one huge paragraph. Is it Safari?? I'm not able to use the drop down menus either...

Yeah it's Safari, some peeps have reported that they aren't able to see all of the options with Safari. Swith to Firefox instead
pimp.gif

Cool. Thanks a lot. I was gonna make the switch just because that's what I'm used to, so that's good. I've tried downloading before, andeverytime I want to open Firefox, they want me to keep dragging the logo to the applications folder(I hope that makes sense). Is there a way to stop that??

[h3]Low-End Mac Mini Shipping Date Slips Slightly, Additional Reports of iMac Shortages Surface[/h3]
122417-mac_mini_shipping_date.png
The shipping window for Apple's low-end Mac mini in the company's U.S. and Canadian online stores has slipped today to "1-3 business days" from the usual "Within 24hrs" timeframe, adding further hints of supply constraints and a possible refresh for Apple's diminutive desktop computer. The move comes on the heels of reports that Apple has notified its retail stores of shortages of the low-end Mac mini, as well as all four iMac configurations.

TUAW today also adds additional detail on desktop shortage claims, noting that an employee at one Apple retail store has reported only four iMacs in stock at that location, far below usual stock levels.
Several of our tipsters work for Apple Authorized re-sellers who are running very low on desktop supplies, even an Apple Store tip says they have 4 iMacs in stock. When I worked at the Apple Store, there were always 40+ iMacs in stock. Having 4 in a store is just unheard of -- unless there's something in the works.
Another source reports that they placed an order for a Mac mini earlier this month and initially received indication that the machine would ship in a timely manner, only to have the shipping date recently adjusted to October 9th.

Reports in recent weeks and months have suggested that iMac and MacBook updates are due in the near future, and while details on a potential Mac mini upgrade have been scarce, mounting evidence suggests that Apple has changes in store for the line of budget desktops as well.

iMac shortages? You know what that means...new iMacs coming soon
pimp.gif

I've been reading about this too. Does anyone here have any info on the specific date of the new iMacs? I may be going with a desktop insteadof a Macbook Pro...Not sure yet though...

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

should i get a regular mac book or just get the mac book pro for a little more?...

if money isn't a thang - macbook pro. but it also depends what is you plan on using the computer for.

pimp.gif

Cool. Thanks a lot. I was gonna make the switch just because that's what I'm used to, so that's good. I've tried downloading before, and everytime I want to open Firefox, they want me to keep dragging the logo to the applications folder(I hope that makes sense). Is there a way to stop that??

I see your problem when you see the HD desktop for Firefox, double click, drag to applications. Once that is done. Eject that HD Desktop by dragging into thetrash or simply right click 'eject' now go to your applications. now you should be fine.

BUT.. I am using Safari, and I personally like it more. I was used to firefox then switch. They both things that one does and the other doesn't.

Originally Posted by Retroisback2008

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

should i get a regular mac book or just get the mac book pro for a little more?...

if money isn't a thang - macbook pro. but it also depends what is you plan on using the computer for.

Originally Posted by Retroisback2008

pimp.gif

Cool. Thanks a lot. I was gonna make the switch just because that's what I'm used to, so that's good. I've tried downloading before, and everytime I want to open Firefox, they want me to keep dragging the logo to the applications folder(I hope that makes sense). Is there a way to stop that??

I see your problem when you see the HD desktop for Firefox, double click, drag to applications. Once that is done. Eject that HD Desktop by dragging into the trash or simply right click 'eject' now go to your applications. now you should be fine.

BUT.. I am using Safari, and I personally like it more. I was used to firefox then switch. They both things that one does and the other doesn't.

I like Safari as well, but I just can't do the things on NT like I want to, and that sucks...

Back
Top Bottom