The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

One more thing anyone know where to get cheap ram? Looking to snag 4gb for my mbp!
Transintl is pretty solid RAM. A couple of Apple workers actuallyrecommended them to me. If not, I heard Crucial Ram is great as well.

are batteries the same price for a regular macbook? im gonna be needing one soon b/c my battery is starting to die quick

has anyone updated from tiger straight to snowleopard? i finally have some extra cash and i was thinking about trying it

We have a macbook from a year or two ago. I believe it's capable of running 4 GB of RAM and we looked it up beforehand.

Ordered 2 sticks from Crucial and attempted to install. Both go in, computer doesn't work. Tried 1 new one with the old (total of 3gb) and it worked. Triedagain to put the other new stick in, no luck. Switched slots with the old one to make sure the bay worked, it did work. Tried the other new one with the oldone, it worked (recognized 3gb), so I know both sticks of the new memory are good.

Any clue why I cannot get both 2 GB sticks to work?

Can I get some help? I'm using candy bar, and for some reason the icons on my dock wont change. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I was skimming through the past few pages and saw a few recurring questions that I'm not sure are answered.

Upgrading the RAM yourself may void your warranty, I forgot what it says in the fine print. Regardless, just keep your OEM ram sticks just in case.

Also, in terms of Apple Care. DO NOT BUY IT THE DAY OF!! Your macbook already comes with a 1 year warranty. So just make sure to buy apple care right beforethat 1 year runs out otherwise your free 1 year and your apple care will stack on top of each other.

Lastly, do not buy applecare from apple. You can find it cheaper from other sources *see egay.

Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

I just wanted to post to remind everyone to buy applecare with their Mac's.

My macbook pro to date, which I bought in August of 2007 has gone through

2 batteries-$150 each
1 top case- $600
2 fans - $200
1 logic board- $1800 - yes 1800 bones for a logic board!

also had some other work done on it which would have costed me another 300 bucks or so

I got my apple Care for free, but even at 300 bucks or whatever it is it is well worth it. Everyone has been replaced hassle free. I was kind of hoping I would get a whole new computer when my logic board died(happened to my friend) but I think they just replaced it.

Even if you have AppleCare, your battery goes through cycles.

Originally Posted by kien

I was skimming through the past few pages and saw a few recurring questions that I'm not sure are answered.

Upgrading the RAM yourself may void your warranty, I forgot what it says in the fine print. Regardless, just keep your OEM ram sticks just in case.

Also, in terms of Apple Care. DO NOT BUY IT THE DAY OF!! Your macbook already comes with a 1 year warranty. So just make sure to buy apple care right before that 1 year runs out otherwise your free 1 year and your apple care will stack on top of each other.

Lastly, do not buy applecare from apple. You can find it cheaper from other sources *see egay.
Warranty aside, I'm just curious if anyone has heard of this or what? I mean obviously both sticks work and both bays work, but yet, not atthe same time?

Could someone PM me the Geektool script to show the weather IMAGE? I know how to show the actual temp, but can't get the picture down.

Originally Posted by backpacker23

Can someone plz school me on how to change the dock icons.
You first need to get this program called Candybar. Once you have Candybar, then you can download icons from different sites and then change emup.

You can download the icons from sites such as, Deviantart.com or Interfacelift.com

I'm sure they're many more sites out there, but I just started doing this recently.

Also, here's a little advice. When you download the icons, make sure they are in a .ico file. I downloaded all the brand icons from this guys page on NTand they were JPEG files and I couldn't change my dock icons, but could change my finder and disk drive.

Does anyone here own these cables (http://www.monoprice.com/...cts/pr...eq=1&format=2), or a different brand? If so, wouldyou care to share what you think about them and if it's better than using the MDP to DVI converter?

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on these but it seems that this is a new product and there aren't that many reviews yet so I'm still a bithesitant.

What are your thoughts?

Or if anyone owns the adapter (http://www.monoprice.com/...cts/pr...seq=1&format=2) .

Also, I'm seeing that you can't get audio through the adapter for the MBP. If that is the case, would I be able to get audio if I went through the MDP-> DVI ->HDMI route?

anyone help.did intel come out with the 2.4 ghz processor which was said to be put into the new mbp? Any rumours on when release might be?

anyone use a program to type notes during class?
nerd.gif
getting sick of word
laugh.gif

Speaking of typing notes in class... someone mentioned to me the other day that its possible to record lectures through Word. I seemingly can't figure itout. Is there even a way? Anybody else do this with another program (with the professors permission of course
nerd.gif
)?

*Edit - gotta love solving your own problems. For anyone that is interested, here is how to do it. File > Project Gallery > Word Notebook Layout >Click on the microphone icon and record.

Haven't really messed with it much, but hopefully there are not noises are alerts that go off when I'm taking notes this way in class. Also adifferent note taking layout for the person that asked earlier. Anyone who does it this way, how close do you have to be sitting to be able to get a goodrecording of the professors?

Back
Top Bottom