The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

i just downloaded geektool (wanted to add that calendar/clock and the weather and maybe some other things to my desktop) and i need my nt'ers to school meon how to operate it...its light weight confusing.

help would be appreciated.

a guestion, might be dumb, don't know, but can windows live messenger run on a mac, without using windows?

Originally Posted by SINce1987

i just downloaded geektool (wanted to add that calendar/clock and the weather and maybe some other things to my desktop) and i need my nt'ers to school me on how to operate it...its light weight confusing.

help would be appreciated.
drag a shell onto your desktop for each thing you want to have.

for the date - put this in the command box -
date +%d
for the month.
date +%B
for the day of the week
date +%A
for the AM/PM
date +"%p"
for the time
date +%l:%M
for the current temp/weather. take out 94116 and put in your zip code.
curl --silent "http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/forecastrss?p=94116&u=F" | grep -E '(Current Conditions:stoneface: F<BR)' | sed -e 's/Current Conditions://' -e 's/<br \/>//' -e 's/<b>//' -e 's/<\/b>//' -e 's/<BR \/>//' -e 's/<description>//' -e 's/<\/description>//'
for the upcoming forecast. again swap 94116 with your zip code.
curl "http://xml.weather.yahoo.com/forecastrss?p=94116&u=f" | grep -e "Forecast:" -A 2 | tail -n 2 | sed -e 's/<br \/>//' -e 's/<BR \/>//' | sed "s/\(.*\)\.\ \(.*\)/\1\?\2/" | tr "?" "" | sed "s/High\:\ \(.*\)\ Low\:\ \(.*\)/\?H\: \1\ L\:\ \2/" | sed "s/\?\(.*\)/\\1/"
you can google other things like full calendars and CPU info.

you can adjust the fonts and stuff as you like. also change the refresh rate for each thing as you don't need them all refreshing every 2 seconds.

Originally Posted by nocomment6

anyone help.did intel come out with the 2.4 ghz processor which was said to be put into the new mbp? Any rumours on when release might be?
If you are talking about the Arrandale chipset, they were released a couple of days ago...Just wait for the Apple Event in January. They probablywill announce the new tablet along with a refresh of the MBP. Hopefully, I'm thinking of buying a MBP to add to my iMac.

thanks everyone. Hmm hope the new MBP comes out very soon.
smile.gif

Did you guys all buy your Macs at from an Apple store? Did anyone buy it from Best Buy? I have a question if anyone can help. I was gonna buy a Mac from BestBuy so I just put it on my Best Buy card. My question is about the warranty. If I bought the warranty thru best buy are they just gonna send me to the Applestore if I were to have problems w/ it? Or is it better to just buy it straight from Apple?

Originally Posted by zs05wc

Did you guys all buy your Macs at from an Apple store? Did anyone buy it from Best Buy? I have a question if anyone can help. I was gonna buy a Mac from Best Buy so I just put it on my Best Buy card. My question is about the warranty. If I bought the warranty thru best buy are they just gonna send me to the Apple store if I were to have problems w/ it? Or is it better to just buy it straight from Apple?

when you go there ask them.

I need Microsoft Office for Mac!!!! If anybody has anything or know where I can get it for the low, pm me! I definitely need it now that school has startedback.

Are the hardcases on ebay just like any other hardcases? I go into the store they have them for $35 and up. I see them on ebay for $15-$25 shipped.

Originally Posted by zs05wc

Did you guys all buy your Macs at from an Apple store? Did anyone buy it from Best Buy? I have a question if anyone can help. I was gonna buy a Mac from Best Buy so I just put it on my Best Buy card. My question is about the warranty. If I bought the warranty thru best buy are they just gonna send me to the Apple store if I were to have problems w/ it? Or is it better to just buy it straight from Apple?

if u bought applecare, you go to apple. if u bought best buy warranty, u got to best buy. apple care is great, i've sent in their POS computer many timesand i've never had a problem. i gave up tho, last apple i'll ever buy.

Would ypu guys rather get two 24'' LED Displays or a 30'' LED Display? The monitor(s) will be used for photography and logic studio work.

Originally Posted by Food4Thgt

How can I change to top bar to another color...?
I meant to say change the top bar to another color...like black ? I saw someone in here with it but cant remember what page..

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

^ What went wrong?

I went through Best Buy BTW.

Doc... Good lookin for postin the office.. I needed that.

6 times the optical drive has been broken, on ONE computer (this is a desktop replacement, so it's not like i take it outside to where i physically diddamage to it). sound board was screwed up. so they exchanged it for a unibody 15" MBP (before they added the SD card slot and took out the express cardslot).. same thing happens, optical is not working. but with this one, the display profile keeps switching every time it goes to sleep to these extremelywashed colors. so i just gave up. %@%% apple. and dont even get me started on the iphone.. and to think, i used to be a fanboy.

Originally Posted by DJ AAAye

Would ypu guys rather get two 24'' LED Displays or a 30'' LED Display? The monitor(s) will be used for photography and logic studio work.

im rocking 2 17in LCD right now (work).. i def recommend dual over 1 large display especially when it comes to multi-tasking... but damn, 24in X2? that must be
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom