The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by stillmaticshay

so i go to the genius bar today to see about getting my mighty mouse replaced (i was already on my 2nd one as is), it has been acting up for months. and sure enough, i get to the apple store and it wants to work perfectly so there was nothing they could do.

i just went ahead and bought a new magic mouse, i wish it had a little more height to it, other than that its their best mouse yet!

how do others like their magic mouse?

5djby9.jpg
I actually enjoy using the Magic Mouse.  At times, my hand feels cramped up due the size of the mouse, but overall, I don't have any problems with it.

Oh yeah, the CEO of McGraw-Hill announced on either CNBC or MSNBC that they have been working with Apple in regards to e-books on the new tablet.  Looks like he's going to get some heat for spoiling the fun from tomorrow's Apple Event.

Ordered my MBP, should be here on the 2nd or so.
I "bought" a copy of Office, should I burn it to a disc and then use the disc to install it on my MB?
Or can I just copy the file to my MB and install from there?
These new file extensions are something I'm gonna have to get used to, lol. dmg? %#$, lol

Originally Posted by datdamndeuce

I "bought" a copy of Office, should I burn it to a disc and then use the disc to install it on my MB?
These new file extensions are something I'm gonna have to get used to, lol. dmg? %#$, lol
Even though there may be a refresh on the MBP in the near future, you bought your MBP because you needed one. Welcome to the family. As far as your copy of the Office, just run the file, install, and keep the file on an external so you have space on your MBP.  It's pretty easy to get use to using a Mac, in fact there are a lot of tutorials at Apple.com if you need help.

How do i download windows 7 on my macbook pro without a cd??
I have the exe file for the download but i cant run it in parallels without a cd.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Even though there may be a refresh on the MBP in the near future, you bought your MBP because you needed one. Welcome to the family. As far as your copy of the Office, just run the file, install, and keep the file on an external so you have space on your MBP.  It's pretty easy to get use to using a Mac, in fact there are a lot of tutorials at Apple.com if you need help.
@nocomment6 -
laugh.gif
, yea fam I got tired of the speculation. Unless they do something revolutionary, like make the MBP transparent or some %#!!, I don't see myself regretting the purchase.
@livemyreality - Thanks, I seriously was gonna try and hold out, but then I realized I was operating off of speculation. The refreshed MBPs won't be that much better, and even if they are, I know people who are still content with their black MacBooks.

Needless to say, I can't wait until all of my stuff arrives from Apple! I copped a 32gb refurbished iPod touch too, for the low low...
nerd.gif

Does anyone use Sophos for virus protection? I know Macs rarely get viruses but after hearing that NT is burning I wanna be sure, lol. If you're not using Sophos, what are you using?

Does anyone use Sophos for virus protection? I know Macs rarely get viruses but after hearing that NT is burning I wanna be sure, lol. If you're not using Sophos, what are you using?
Nope, I just use common sense

Originally Posted by AusZero

indifferent.gif
, but seriously...
laugh.gif

I only asked because my old university is practically giving away virus protection...I'd have to be a fool to turn down something that's useful AND free...common sense or not.

Sup everyone, my HP laptop is currently on life support and I am really considering a 13" powerbook. I don't have any experience using Apple though and they are quite expensive compared to other pc's. People's opinions here may be biased but can someone give me some advice. Looking at getting the 2.53 Ghz with 8 Gb of memory. I am a very casual user and mostly do surfing, downloading, and a few office docs but I really want to dabble in photoshop and web page making. What so you all think?

My macbook wont go to sleep !!! HELP!!

I already adjusted the energy savings settings...but it still doesnt go to sleep ...

Originally Posted by herman818

Sup everyone, my HP laptop is currently on life support and I am really considering a 13" powerbook. I don't have any experience using Apple though and they are quite expensive compared to other pc's. People's opinions here may be biased but can someone give me some advice. Looking at getting the 2.53 Ghz with 8 Gb of memory. I am a very casual user and mostly do surfing, downloading, and a few office docs but I really want to dabble in photoshop and web page making. What so you all think?

I would stick with the 2.26 GHz processor and get the base 2Gb of ram when you buy it. You can purchase and install your own ram quite easily and save yourself roughly 300$. Aside from that photoshop won't run much differently between 2.26 and 2.53 GHz so stick with the 2.26 and you save another 300$. But if you do plan on using photoshop intensely, and by intensely I mean 30+ layers and multiple PSDs opened up at once then you would need to upgrade to atleast the 15inch with with 9600M GT Nividia card.

Originally Posted by AusZero

indifferent.gif
, but seriously...
laugh.gif

I only asked because my old university is practically giving away virus protection...I'd have to be a fool to turn down something that's useful AND free...common sense or not.

Firefox + ad block plus + no script = virus free from NT.

Originally Posted by GreenRanger

Originally Posted by herman818

I would stick with the 2.26 GHz processor and get the base 2Gb of ram when you buy it. You can purchase and install your own ram quite easily and save yourself roughly 300$. Aside from that photoshop won't run much differently between 2.26 and 2.53 GHz so stick with the 2.26 and you save another 300$. But if you do plan on using photoshop intensely, and by intensely I mean 30+ layers and multiple PSDs opened up at once then you would need to upgrade to atleast the 15inch with with 9600M GT Nividia card.

Yea this sounds about right. 8GB of RAM is overkill unless you're really gonna use it. I upgraded mine to 4GB because the Epi program that we run at my grad school killed my laptop and it had 2GB, so I figured an upgrade would do me good.

what app do you guys use for note taking? i was using onenote for windows before what's there for mac?

Back
Top Bottom