The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by jretro23

are there any problems/flaws with the current MBP's?

nothing wrong with them, but the MBP line is due for a refresh anytime now. Unless you absolutely need to buy it now, i would wait a few weeks.

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by denverairforce

Mac folks, I'm looking for some advice/help.  I apologize if this is inappropriate, just let me know and I'll delete if needed. 

I just picked up an older powerbook G4 which has OS X 10.3.9 on it.  I haven't had a Mac since 1994 or so.  I believe I need OS x 10.5 (Leopard) to function online at this point. I am trying to avoid having to buy the discs as I understand you cannot upgrade from 10.3.9 for free, which sucks.  I was able to DL a torrent of Leopard, but I can't burn it because I don't have a dual layer DVD burner.  anybody have any advice or can anybody help me figure this out somehow?  can I go buy a 20 gb external drive and install from that?  Is there a way to partition the HD on the Mac, mount the image, and install it on the other partition?  if I can get it on there and it works and I like it, I will consider buying the legit discs.  thanks in advance for any advice. 

Do you have another mac you can use...maybe a friend/family member? You can install it using Target mode with a firewire cable. If not that, you can use a USB jump drive. A dual layer dvd shouldnt run you more than $5 though
I do know somebody who has a brand new macbook, I'll see what I can do with that.  with target mode, can I boot off the other mac? or just run the installer or what?  I'd have no problem buying the dual layer disc, but I don't have a dual layer burner... but at the same time, I guess my friend's brand new mac should, right?  thanks for the advice! 

Finally copped the Aluminum MB refurb aka the MBP w/ out the sd card slot. Lol, i still have the 24" iMac as well but wont be using it anytime soon. The gesture controls on this baby are just toooooo sick!

Installed "Bump Top" and "Candy Bar"...... the rest can wait!

need to get heat sensor for my macbook, but have finals... and don't know exactly when I am going to get it back. I feel like a jerk, for telling Apple I was gonna drop it off yesterday.

Thinking about buying one today. My question is so i go for teh macbook or the macbook pro. Is the difference that much that i should spend the extra $200 for less up grades on the pro?

Originally Posted by fundz4

Thinking about buying one today. My question is so i go for teh macbook or the macbook pro. Is the difference that much that i should spend the extra $200 for less up grades on the pro?
Honestly, if you could wait till March, then I suggest buying then.  The MBP line is suppose to be updated real soon.  I believe the extra $200 is worth the money since you get: Aluminum uni-body, firewire (connection for video, external HD, etc), back-lit keyboard, and style. Either way, both are great Macbooks, but the extra $200 that you spend for the Pro will be worth it.

is it normal for a powerbook g4 to really hot after being on for about 30 minutes? I've read about some heat issues, but damn, this thing is too hot to keep on my lap... I need to run the hardware test to check the fan but I don't know if I can without the OS X discs...

Has anyone ever connected a PS3 and used a mac as the monitor? I did some searching and i found EyeTV does this work?

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Other than being on the verge of an update, then no.  Solid machine that will last you a long time.
are the prices for the new macbook pro's gonna be the same as the current ones right now? or will they increase a little bit?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Other than being on the verge of an update, then no.  Solid machine that will last you a long time.
are the prices for the new macbook pro's gonna be the same as the current ones right now? or will they increase a little bit?
nerd.gif
I think they generally drop the prices of the older models and continue to offer the same price. At least that's what they do with iPods.

Help with Peer Guardian!

I just downloaded it to protect myself from getting unknown IP addresses from looking at my downloads
I am on a mac btw, how do I use it

I already downloaded the iblocklist for my internet provider and im in the list manager area

it gives me 3 boxes to check

Active 

Allow All Ranges

Allow Standard Ports

Which ones do I check to block comcast from viewing my downloads, 

I am using Mac snow leopard btw

Originally Posted by 23MCpizzle23

Has anyone ever connected a PS3 and used a mac as the monitor? I did some searching and i found EyeTV does this work?

nerd.gif

it works. Just get a dvi-hdmi or a hdmi-display poort from monoprice. EyeTV uses RCA jacks (at least the one i had did)
I used my N64 on my macbook for a while but i returned it

Originally Posted by NKEAIR

Help with Peer Guardian!

I just downloaded it to protect myself from getting unknown IP addresses from looking at my downloads

I already downloaded the iblocklist for my internet provider and im in the list manager area

Active 

Allow All Ranges

Allow Standard Ports

Originally Posted by CaponeCartels

Help with Peer Guardian!

Active 

Allow All Ranges

Allow Standard Ports

idk what Peergaurdian is, but it sounds a lot like Little Snitch, which is what I use. I'd look into that.

Can anybody point me in the direction as to what page explains how to customize the dock, icons, etc.

Any help would be appreciated

Help with Peer Guardian!

Active 

Allow All Ranges

Allow Standard Ports

idk what Peergaurdian is, but it sounds a lot like Little Snitch, which is what I use. I'd look into that.
i looked into little snitch, but it looks like you have to pay for it

Help with Peer Guardian!

Active 

Allow All Ranges

Allow Standard Ports

i looked into little snitch, but it looks like you have to pay for it

Check your inbox

Originally Posted by GUTTA SAUCE

hey y the hell i always have trouble burning dvds on my bros mac. wat progrems u dudes be using?

what problems are you having? What applications are you using to burn now? Have you tried Burn or Toast?

Back
Top Bottom