The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

4gb of ram is just fine for a casual user and todays applications. Any more than that you'll get less battery life. Unless your running a memory hog program. Get a portable hardrive and you use time machine to back up your files. Your main concern should be what processor should you get.

anyone know where to get those adam bomb icons? or anything nike/jordan related icons? i saw someone with a huf icon too

just plugged in my 15 macbook pro and have been adding programs ... i didn't want to use migration to take stuff off the old mac b/c i have so much junk on there. 
i just came across delicious library ... and recommend it to anyone that wants to organize and catalog their movies/books/games 

the one thing i've never learned to do properly is add music and photos w/o creating a duplicate copy ... yes
indifferent.gif
for not learning but can anyone offer tips since i want to use iphoto and itunes .... 

thanks in advance ... this size is a bit od compared to my 13" but there was no way i was getting the 13" w/o the dual core processor
indifferent.gif
@ apple 

eek.gif
@ this thing scanning my games and cataloging it ... best program ever ... didn't pay the 40 bucs of course ... highly recommend 

Originally Posted by cRazy dav0

just plugged in my 15 macbook pro and have been adding programs ... i didn't want to use migration to take stuff off the old mac b/c i have so much junk on there. 
i just came across delicious library ... and recommend it to anyone that wants to organize and catalog their movies/books/games 

the one thing i've never learned to do properly is add music and photos w/o creating a duplicate copy ... yes
indifferent.gif
for not learning but can anyone offer tips since i want to use iphoto and itunes .... 

thanks in advance ... this size is a bit od compared to my 13" but there was no way i was getting the 13" w/o the dual core processor
indifferent.gif
@ apple 

if you have a firewire cable, you can hook up both computers and boot the old computer into Target Disk Mode. it will show up on your new computer as an external hard drive and you can just clikc and chose the items you want to copy like that

i think my iPod is dead. the thing works fine but when i hook it up to iTunes, iTunes freezes up and won't sync to my iPod but when i plug it out Itunes unfreezes and says your iPod cant be synced because its missing some folder. any suggestions?

Originally Posted by JordanF1end

i think my iPod is dead. the thing works fine but when i hook it up to iTunes, iTunes freezes up and won't sync to my iPod but when i plug it out Itunes unfreezes and says your iPod cant be synced because its missing some folder. any suggestions?

what's the missing folder? take a screenshot if possible. If your ipod works..it's not dead. You can always install a new version of itunes and see if that fixes ot/ Do you have any itunes add-ons installed? Last.fm scrobbler used to do that same thing to me

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

what's the missing folder? take a screenshot if possible. If your ipod works..it's not dead. You can always install a new version of itunes and see if that fixes ot/ Do you have any itunes add-ons installed? Last.fm scrobbler used to do that same thing to me

nevermind i fixed the problem, i went to computer then clicked on my iPod and it said something about nothing being shared? idk but i clicked share and BOOM i could connect to iTunes again

P.S i saw a friend who had his music playing in a Nike tag kind of like what Coversutra does but with the album artwork instead. i couldn't ask him where he got it from but yea do you know what im talking about?

thanks for the response goat ... i'm pretty much set now ... only thing needed to add are my photos / videos / music ....

i never responded to ur ?? from a while back about the mac updates crashing my computer ... it was a security update i believe ...

this has probably been answered before but isn't it true that if you hover over your icons you can set them to bounce? if it's true how do you do it?

Click on the Apple symbol on your taskbar, then go to System Preferences>Dock and check the box next to "Animate opening applications"

Noob question Is there a way to make custom sms tones for iphone 4 or earlier models without it jail broken? I learned how to make custom ring tones with itunes without my iphone jailbroken. Is there a way? Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by Flip Jays

Noob question Is there a way to make custom sms tones for iphone 4 or earlier models without it jail broken? I learned how to make custom ring tones with itunes without my iphone jailbroken. Is there a way? Thanks in advance

Wrong thread btw. And this was just asked in the IPHONE thread, to answer your question no you cant. They are saying you gotta wait till the jailbreak to be able to do it.

Originally Posted by Flip Jays

Nope. You have to be able to connect your phone to an FTP client and the only way you can do that as of now is through jailbreaking and installing OpenSSH

my buddy gave me his macbook to install OS X 10.6, but the problem is once

i boot the mac it gives me a folder icon with a question mark in it. i force it to boot off

the dvd which takes me to the upgrade screen. i do a scan on the HD it comes back clean

while its updates it always crashes mid update.  is his HD done ?

Originally Posted by sole vintage

my buddy gave me his macbook to install OS X 10.6, but the problem is once

i boot the mac it gives me a folder icon with a question mark in it. i force it to boot off

the dvd which takes me to the upgrade screen. i do a scan on the HD it comes back clean

while its updates it always crashes mid update.  is his HD done ?
theres a firmware password on it. Remove 1 stick of ram and reset the PRAM a few times and re-install the ram and you should be able to boot from disc.

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

Originally Posted by Food4Thgt

Anyone have trouble with this summers Macbook pro release ???

Everything is fine except my battery life...I don't see anywhere near 10 hrs..anybody experiencing the same thing ??should I take it back??
Did you calibrate the battery? How many cycles have put on the battery?
Im not really sure how to calibrate the battery... And I just bought it last week so I guess about 10 cycles ???
nerd.gif

im speaking as a future mac user here. i plan on buying a external hard drive for my time machine back ups and i wanted to know does it make sense to partition the drive into 2 volumes? like one for regular files such as music docs moviesetc and one for time machine? or no? because what im thinking is when you back up files using time machine you can access them from the external hard drive i would use for time machine and access the files from there and add more files to it as i please or is that wrong?

also suppose your mac has hard drive failure and everything gets erased and you boot it up from the cd and restore using time machine. does time machine restore all the apps you had before like photo shop, logic, pretty much the apps you had to install with a cd?

im speaking as a future mac user here. i plan on buying a external hard drive for my time machine back ups and i wanted to know does it make sense to partition the drive into 2 volumes? like one for regular files such as music docs moviesetc and one for time machine? or no? because what im thinking is when you back up files using time machine you can access them from the external hard drive i would use for time machine and access the files from there and add more files to it as i please or is that wrong?

also suppose your mac has hard drive failure and everything gets erased and you boot it up from the cd and restore using time machine. does time machine restore all the apps you had before like photo shop, logic, pretty much the apps you had to install with a cd?

Time machine saves your backup as a folder. You can still add other folder/files to it without having to partition
If in the unfortunate case that you would have some kind of hard drive failure, Time Machine restores everything just as it was from your last backup. It'll look exactly the same as how your computer was before the failure

Originally Posted by DREDAY0789

just copped a mac yesterday. can i get a list of "must haves"? im so lost lol

Of course it all depends on the end user, but:

Office 2008- baisc progrmams like word/powerpoint/excel
AdiumX- best IM client, fully customizable with icons and skins
Candybar- change your dock icons
Handbrake- video transcoder; easily turn any video file into itunes/psp/dvd/etc specific
Coversutra- Desktop cover art/itunes control
Plex- fully skinable media center application
VLC Player
Hulu Desktop
Speed Download- desktop download manager
UnRarX- archive extractor
Parallels- fully featured virtual desktop for Windows
Senuti- copies mjusic/video from ipod to itunes

I am trying to add bass to a song but when i do it on garage band the song is quiet on itunes like Doug Williams in the Emitt Smith roast...

I already tried the Auto Normalization trick and it worked for a minute until the bass kicked in and it was a complete 180 sooo what can i do?

Back
Top Bottom