The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by NayokoChan

So I got a MBP not too long ago and I've finally got the free time to start setting it up to my liking. I've tried to change the icons for some of my applications and nothing is working. I've looked at numerous sources and all of them say to use Get Info --> Copy --> Get Info --> Paste. Still no luck. Is there any way to change the icons without using Candy Bar? Thanks.

You gotta change the permissions on those .ico files. On the get info pane of an application, open the lock on the bottom right corner and make sure it's set to "Read & Write." you should be able to change the icons after that. System icons can be a bit more tricky
Thanks! I've got it figured out now.

So i just recently got an ipod touch 4th gen. i have a macbook running OS 10.4 Tiger, which is not compatible with the new ipod touch. Would it be possible to borrow leopard/snow leopard software from a friend (which came with it when they bought a more recent version macbook), so that I dont have to buy the software? Or is the software that came with their macbook specific to their hardware? Thanks!

^^ mac reps tellin me since i dont already have leopard, id have to buy the box set, which is like 129. It'd be $29 if i was already running leopard

Ok i just got a new macbook pro, finally made the switch. The ongoing question on whether to shut it down as to putting your book to sleep? How often do you guys shut and reboot your macbook ? I hear the rule of thumb is to shut it down if you are not using it for a day. I want to have my battery last as long as possible. And is it ok to charge it when i use it? Or should it be completely drained and then charge ir>? any advice and input is great. thanks

Originally Posted by dapimpjuice4ya

My bad.....it can be done though.

What's the name of the program that has the cover art displayed for the song being played on the desktop??? Never mind....I found the answer on previous pages.

Here's a screenshot of my 27 inch.....I'm in complete love with this machine.

e5gzef.png

damn i wish the browns was win. I want THAT GLORY. Dammit holmgren get mangini gone!

btw
pimp.gif
that 27 is where its at

After upgrading to iTunes 10 is there a way to change back to the old interface/dock icon?

When I download a video, upon completion it will automatically play. How can I turn that feature off?

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

After upgrading to iTunes 10 is there a way to change back to the old interface/dock icon?
Yes
Respect, I appreciate it.

Any suggestions on an external hd that's some what mobile?

Yes

WD Passports do me right. If you meed something a little more shock absorbant, look into the Lacie Rugged line

Yes

I just picked up the 500 gig Seagate freeagent... it was pretty cheap, got good reviews, and has the ability to upgrade to Firewire or USB 3.0 if wanted.

WD Passports do me right. If you need something a little more shock absorbant, look into the Lacie Rugged line
Yeah that's a major factor also need a 1-2 TB, time capsule good?

WD Passports do me right. If you need something a little more shock absorbant, look into the Lacie Rugged line
time capsule is extremely overpriced. if you absolutely must have an Apple Router, cop an Extreme or a Express and just plug a hard drive into it. That's not a portable option though, you do realize yes? 
If you want to save some money on a non-portable, cop a 1/2/3 terabyte internal drive and just buy your own enclosure or get a hard drive dock. If you need a portable still, i believe 1TB is as big as they get these days. WD Elements are a little more rugged than Passports in that case

Should I get a Macbook Pro to replace my Compaq laptop? Someone please tell me the pros and cons of the macbook pro.

time capsule is extremely overpriced. if you absolutely must have an Apple Router, cop an Extreme or a Express and just plug a hard drive into it. That's not a portable option though, you do realize yes?
Yeah I realized that right after I posted, didn't care to edit. But yeah portability would be good for me.

Yeah I realized that right after I posted, didn't care to edit. But yeah portability would be good for me.
go with the 1TB WD Elements then. They have 5 yr warranties

http://www.lacie.com/ca/p...ts/p...t.htm?pid=11030
like goat said, get a WD passport and you should be good.

or break the bank and get yourself a portal SSD. i think 1TB is around 4Gs? if they even make portable
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by LB510

thegoat121886- How's the G Drive?
it's pretty, and it has eSATA which is miles faster than even FireWire 800, but it's nothing a cheaper WD or Seagate couldnt handle. The extra money you spend on one could return it's value in its aluminum casing though, which is obviously more hearty than hard plastic

Should I get a Macbook Pro to replace my Compaq laptop? Someone please tell me the pros and cons of the macbook pro.
Nobody can really convince you one way or the other. If you like windows, stay with a Windows laptop and save some money. If you like Mac OS, spend the extra and go with a MBP. It's all personal preference. I don't really find there to be much difference between the two honestly. 

Back
Top Bottom