The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by iHust1e

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

What's the best spot to get a MBP?

I know Apple isn't too friendly with the discounts.  Is the Apple Store with the Student/Edu discount the best spot?
find a microcenter they got last years 13 macbook pro, which is faster than the sandy bridges of this year for 899and u can get apple care later i think you have until ur year is up

I need more info on the microcenter deal, there's a location down in Tustin, want more info before I head down there.

Basically don't want to sound like an idiot asking for last years model,
laugh.gif
I went in there and spotted it. For some reason, they didnt mark the price as 899 tho. So i just pulled up the website on that macbook and just asked him if this was that computer
laugh.gif

They only had 18 left at my MC though so Id check asap. Also ask about a university disco.
glasses.gif

Howd you make the apple toolbar black like that?

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

I know Apple isn't too friendly with the discounts.  Is the Apple Store with the Student/Edu discount the best spot?

I need more info on the microcenter deal, there's a location down in Tustin, want more info before I head down there.

laugh.gif
I went in there and spotted it. For some reason, they didnt mark the price as 899 tho. So i just pulled up the website on that macbook and just asked him if this was that computer
laugh.gif

They only had 18 left at my MC though so Id check asap. Also ask about a university disco.
glasses.gif
Howd you make the apple toolbar black like that?

find a microcenter they got last years 13 macbook pro, which is faster than the sandy bridges of this year for 899and u can get apple care later i think you have until ur year is up

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

glasses.gif

how much after discount and tax? i wouldnt mind picking up a 2nd a 3rd mbp
pimp.gif

will be FINALLY joining this thread soon
pimp.gif

ordered my self a refurbished 2010 13 mbp for school and daily usage

not a gamer nor editor so this will due me just fine.

*Bart Scott* Cant Wait!
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

I found Macconnection.com to have the best deals on macbook pro's.

I got my 15" sandy bridge i7 2.0ghz model last friday. You can pick it up for just 1700 flat. Free shipping and no tax. Its already a $100 buck cheaper than apple's retail price but you save a lot on tax and the fact you do not pay for shipping. 

To me it does not make sense to get a core 2 series macbook pro if you plan on upgrading and being up to times, core 2 series is very outdated and is gotten pretty old, snow leopard will run fine but the resale value is just going to go down even more on something thats aleady old.

I look at newer Macbooks as an investment, you can keep up with the latest MBP if you sell within 1 - 3 yrs of ownership and you'd just have to put in a little for the difference. The resale on macs are very good.

I got my Macbook pro last friday from macconnection.com I ordered it thursday at 6PM EST and picked overnight shipping, I got it the next day at 1pm. I only paid 38 bucks for it. Crazy.

This is the first mac i've owned myself but have used macs for a long time since ibook g4 series that my sister owned. I've been waiting for the right time and i7 on a 15" especially it being sandy bridge seemed like the right time.  Also lightpeak will be very beneficial for me. I was actually at one point considering a 17" just for the express card. 17" is way to big for my needs and express cards are annoying.

I plan on swapping the ram to 8gb soon and than by the summer a 512gb SSD.

Originally Posted by best hands in the game

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

glasses.gif
how much after discount and tax? i wouldnt mind picking up a 2nd a 3rd mbp
pimp.gif
977 and change. My MC wouldnt add on the student disco on top. It's either one or the other lol. Wouldnt hurt to ask at yours. And its one per household
nerd.gif

Alright I've connected my MBP to my 32" samsung
pimp.gif

Any particular keyboard or wireless mouse you guy would reccomend?
The Apple ones look nice but pricey at 70, I wouldnt mind dropping 140 for both but if theres less expensive options with equal or better quality then ill give those a try.

btw how is the mighty mouse? ive heard it causes cramps?

pimp.gif

The Apple ones look nice but pricey at 70, I wouldnt mind dropping 140 for both but if theres less expensive options with equal or better quality then ill give those a try.

quick question for you 
im having troubles when i connect my macbook to my 32 lg...it works but when i want to close my macbook and i want to browse the internet is extremely slow takes over a minute to load google 
indifferent.gif
 what did you do to get over that? if i mirror with the macbook open its normal speed on the lg 

i got the magic mouse and i still find new gestures time to time its pretty great, i dont get cramps but im not on it for 8 hours if you game or do designer work then its not that good but just simple stuff it gets the job done
pimp.gif
...i just bought the apple keyboard this weekend i havnt really messed around with it too much to say anything 

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

pimp.gif

quick question for you 
im having troubles when i connect my macbook to my 32 lg...it works but when i want to close my macbook and i want to browse the internet is extremely slow takes over a minute to load google 
indifferent.gif
 what did you do to get over that? if i mirror with the macbook open its normal speed on the lg 

i got the magic mouse and i still find new gestures time to time its pretty great, i dont get cramps but im not on it for 8 hours if you game or do designer work then its not that good but just simple stuff it gets the job done
pimp.gif
...i just bought the apple keyboard this weekend i havnt really messed around with it too much to say anything 

You know, I Know why its slow
happy.gif
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

I had the same problem, when trying to connect my mbp to my monitor. Apparently your not suppose to close the lid on the macbook when you are mirroring it to a larger display. Reason why? The the black hinge you see below the screen, under that is the fan when you close the lid you blocking the vents and keeping the mac from keeping cool properly. So the mac will just go on standby. So you'll have to leave the lid open. There is away to bypass this but its not safe and will ruin the components in side you mac, especially the heat sink that keeps it more cool. The one thing you don't want to go wrong. Just live the close lid way or just leave it open and turn of the blacklight.

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

pimp.gif

quick question for you 
indifferent.gif

pimp.gif

happy.gif
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

I had the same problem, when trying to connect my mbp to my monitor. Apparently your not suppose to close the lid on the macbook when you are mirroring it to a larger display. Reason why? The the black hinge you see below the screen, under that is the fan when you close the lid you blocking the vents and keeping the mac from keeping cool properly. So the mac will just go on standby. So you'll have to leave the lid open. There is away to bypass this but its not safe and will ruin the components in side you mac, especially the heat sink that keeps it more cool. The one thing you don't want to go wrong. Just live the close lid way or just leave it open and turn of the blacklight.

You can use it closed without a problem as long as you have an external mouse/keyboard hooked up, and its connected to the charger. Idk about the whole overheating/lack of circulation concept, as Ive used my MBP closed for long periods of time with no problems. 

pimp.gif

quick question for you 
indifferent.gif

pimp.gif
I didnt even know i could close the lid and still watch on the TV.
laugh.gif
It took me like an hour to figure how to mirror, set side by side and what resolutions to use
mad.gif

Im gonna try out the magic mouse and wireless keyboard then.

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

pimp.gif

quick question for you 
indifferent.gif

pimp.gif

happy.gif
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

You can use it closed without a problem as long as you have an external mouse/keyboard hooked up, and its connected to the charger. Idk about the whole overheating/lack of circulation concept, as Ive used my MBP closed for long periods of time with no problems. 

woops....looks like you canhttp://support.apple.com/kb/ht3131

I've used the apple keyboard nor mouse when connecting to my monitor, so admit im wrong on that part.

But still its still post harm on the inside components if not kept cool properly.
Important notes on running a MacBook or MacBook Pro with the lid closed in clamshell mode:
Both the MacBook and MacBook Pro use the keyboard as a way to aid in the dissipation of heat, keeping the machine in clamshell mode reduces the cooling efficiency so be sure that the MacBook/Pro has adequate ventilation otherwise. The ideal situation of running a Mac with the lid closed is to use a laptop stand or something similar that increases the airflow around the machine. Insuring adequate airflow will reduce the likelihood of the machine overheating. You may notice the fans on your machine running more often when the computer is operating with the lid closed.

so if i want to stream netflix or hulu to my tv with my macbook i can keep it open but turn off the backlight? i dont really want to see both screens on at once

my deal is i get it to work closed and everything is normal + in 1080p
pimp.gif
...i can run all my apps except the ones that need internet like app store or chrome, like internet gets slow mo to barely opening up niketalk.com but when im mirroring with it open its normal speed and i can even stream

ive been reading online its has something to do with mac and hdmi and the tv you have and to play with your wifi settings but i suck at that so i want a other method
laugh.gif

if you guys see the menu bar cut off play with the overscanning option u get a little of the black like widescreen deal but your menu/dock is visible

and yeah i believe that alchemist on macrumors all people who post there mac setup with a laptop always have a little laptop stand when showing it connected to a monitor i should invest in one after i figure out how to stream with it closed
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by LB510

Quick question. Have any of you ever received a message saying your computer is not able to charge a usb device because another usb device may be using to much power? Iv'e been getting this message when I'm charging my Ipod and charge the cpu at the same time.
nerd.gif

So now that this thread is 300+ pages long, and contains what I'm sure is a lot of repeat information, what are the chances or someone rooting through and compiling all the most sought-after info and creating a new thread?

.....anyone?

Don't know what happened but I was playing around with my track pad on my MBP and by mistake everything on my screen shrinked in size. Everything appears smaller than before, anyway to reverse this?

pimp.gif

I love the Mighty Mouse. I wanted the number pad, so I have the wired keyboard and the Mighty Mouse. 
I'm a designer and spend hours upon end using it and have experienced NO cramps. Just don't grip it like it's a dumbbell and you'll be fine.

It's plenty sensitive so you have to move it very little.

FYI: 27" iMac, Intel i7, 8GB RAM, Wired NumPad Keyboard, Mighty Mouse

I contemplated adding the trackpad to the line-up, but for my purposes didn't really find it useful.

Can't speak for any MBP users though— my laptop is a 2004 iBook G4 that I just use to take notes

and basic browsing.

Can someone recommend me to a website or store that has some unique sleeves for macbooks? I have the black macbook circa 2008..

Sup, Niketalk?

How can you tell that the issue with your macbook is a hard drive failure? I have the 2010 15" white macbook and my start up time is pretty long (sometimes upwards of 4-5 minutes) and i am getting excessive beach balling when i try to browse or access applications. Would you guys say its time to replace my hard drive?

p.s. I am currently running on a freshly installed OS and im still experiencing the same problems. (dont know if thats noteworthy)

Thanks for any input.

you mean 13in white macbook 2010?

its still under warranty take it to apple not even a year old yet...my white macbook turns on takes about 15-20 seconds

NEED HELP !!!!!

Ok, first off just got my mbp 13 love in it so far
pimp.gif

first mac computer i just have a question how can i import my itunes library from my pc to my mac???

i've looked every where on google but i cant find a clear answer i also have apps n contacts with my iphone 4 how do i sync every thing to my mac (for free of course
nerd.gif
)

i really need help cuz this is the one thing thats pissin me off
mad.gif
plz NT

Back
Top Bottom